Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Brutal Doom v.19 trailer

Luzur

Good Sir
i missed this somehow, but the Brutal Doom team released a trailer:

makes me wanna game Doom again, especially those Earth stages, looked nice having allies for once.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Those graphics look like shit. Would it be asking too much to make the sprites not 16-bit?

Also, is that lag or just slowdown-for-dramatic-effect? If that shit is lag it's bullshit.

Artwork looks nice.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Those graphics look like shit. Would it be asking too much to make the sprites not 16-bit?

Also, is that lag or just slowdown-for-dramatic-effect? If that shit is lag it's bullshit.

In my opinion, it looks great with the classic graphics. The idea was to have a more violent gameplay in the classic Doom while keeping the classic looks, and i think they did a great job. Having sprites with bigger resolutions would look better, yeah, but then so would remake it in a new engine. And then... would it still be Doom?

The slowdown was done just for the video, yeah. I've seen full "lets play" of Brutal Doom and no bullet time or lag.

DragoFireheart

In my opinion, it looks great with the classic graphics. The idea was to have a more violent gameplay in the classic Doom while keeping the classic looks, and i think they did a great job. Having sprites with bigger resolutions would look better, yeah, but then so would remake it in a new engine. And then... would it still be Doom?

Why would you need a NEW engine for higher resolution sprites? /confused horribly

I'm not asking to change any game mechanics: just make the sprites look less jagged. It's not going to make it any less Doomish, which just sounds like a cope-out for not improving the quality of the sprites.

The slowdown was done just for the video, yeah. I've seen full "lets play" of Brutal Doom and no bullet time or lag.

Ok that's what I thought.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are those DN3D doors?

Also shoot the moron doing vocals to DooM OST.

EDIT: This is in Build Engine, isn't it.

Groof

Educated
Looks like sprites are being smoothed in video. I'd guess that's an engine-side config thing and you can configure it to look less blergh.

Haven't played it and don't know if it's any good and that. Seen some videos and I always get the impression that it tries to be more like Duke 3D and Serious Sam and such than DOOM.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate reloading with the shotgun and plasma gun, but there are some optional mutators, and one of them is setting it off. Setting original invisibility instead of marines bots that help you, screen splash effects and turning off new attacks of monsters is nice too. There is regenerating health too, if you need it. Baron of hell spawning three way fireball is really pain in the ass. Imps have quick attacks, and in bigger packs they will tear you to pieces. Every monster has more power, and it's easier to die. That's the problem with the big megawads, which weren't design for this mod. Original campaigns can be beaten, but something like Hell Revealed - only in co-op mode. As for the mod I used skulltag with old version of brutal doom, but finally given up and tried up zandronum with new version and it's clear that much progress has been made.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
High-res 2D sprites for Doom : http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30879&sid=f2d314efd4ff7a245640bc25a09f4819

They're pretty good and frankly the only way to make better character graphics, the 3D models I've seen in Doomsday are beyond atrocious.

Somewhere in that thread you'll also find a link for some high res 2D weapons, IIRC.

The high res texture pack is easy to find. If you don't have a high end machine, I recommend to use skulltag since it has better performance than GZDoom.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Once you try brutal doom it's highly unlikely you'll ever go back to vanilla. The mod is full of incline mainly because of increased speed, improved enemy AI and weapon handling. Blood and gore is just the wrapping.

DragoFireheart

High-res 2D sprites for Doom : http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30879&sid=f2d314efd4ff7a245640bc25a09f4819

They're pretty good and frankly the only way to make better character graphics, the 3D models I've seen in Doomsday are beyond atrocious.

Somewhere in that thread you'll also find a link for some high res 2D weapons, IIRC.

The high res texture pack is easy to find. If you don't have a high end machine, I recommend to use skulltag since it has better performance than GZDoom.

Those high-res sprites look great.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
There is plenty of fast paced fps on the first fagstation. If they play better than keyboard only its another story.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh god, this is where we are now ? Calling Doom graphics shitty ? What a popamole place we've become.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THERE ISNT MOUSLOOK IN THIS SHIT OR ANYTHING LOOKS PRETTY DOOM LIKE TOM ME MAYBE I AM WRONG BROS

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Atrocity. What the fuck have you people done with DOOM?! It's all these fucking sourceports, I never would have imagined the engine being open-sourced would have murdered the game the way it has.
100 years from now people are gonna be playing DOOM in their compuseum and they're gonna be jumping and mouselooking all over the place while they hammer cyberdemons in the balls until they explode.

EDIT:
ALSO, what the god-damn is the point of doing a shitty cover of DOOM's soundtrack when all the game music is ripped from Slayer albums anyway??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom