Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brutal Doom 64

Ash

Arcane
It did strike me as odd. why apply all that work to Doom64's monsters, weapons, and general systems when you can just keep polishing normal brutal doom which can be played with the majority of wads out there? an option to disable the dual wielded weapons and demon weapons would be nice. Mind you he did that "Doom 4 weapons for brutal doom" mod recently too. Guess he's bored but can't let go of Doom.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My guess is that he got bored with BD and wanted a fresh start in something different.

nomask7

Arcane
So, I tried the original Brutal Doom. I didn't see any options for removing the extra gore, sound effects, and so on. There was an option to add even more blood.

I tried both 'modern' and 'classic', and 'classic' didn't feel all that classic.

Unfortunately also, the monster AI doesn't seem to make the game significantly harder, at least in the case of the early game monsters.

I find that playing vanilla Doom with 'fast monsters' turned on is more interesting and challenging than the Brutal Doom difficulty levels that I tried. In vanilla Doom with fast monsters, some levels you don't even have to pick Ultra Violence to have a decent challenge (at least if you're as slow as me).

The option in Brutal Doom to increase the damage that the monsters do (by picking a difficulty level higher than Ultra Violence) just means you're going to be slaughtered during those few times when you'd normally have a tough spot - whereas during the rest of the time when monsters aren't even hitting you, it will obviously make no difference. I didn't try the even higher difficulty levels, but I'm guessing maybe faster monsters is used for some of those. Still, if I'm going to play with faster monsters, I may as well play the vanilla Doom since it's more pleasing to the eye and ear.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
There are a lot of addons that fix that stuff. Brutal Doom is so customizable - if you learn Slade - that it really pays off. Tweaking mods allowed me to turn Doom into my idealized version of Doom. Same goes for any gameplay mod really.

nomask7

Arcane
There are a lot of addons that fix that stuff. Brutal Doom is so customizable - if you learn Slade - that it really pays off. Tweaking mods allowed me to turn Doom into my idealized version of Doom. Same goes for any gameplay mod really.

What kind of gameplay were you going for with your tweaks? Maybe you can share your Doom folder (minus the iwads) if there are people who want to try it?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Not sure that would work out for most people. I combined Project Brutality with 27 other megawads along with my tweaks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Holy crap, the typos in that rant text.

Either someone's autism runneth over, or they're really bad at English.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The prob is, autism and typos aside, he's mostly right.

I like BD, and I am not fazed by the author being a brazilian Neo Nazi (hell, I post on the Codex) but the fact that he pretty much used a shitton of assets from other people and often "forgot" to thank them is a bit irksome.

Ash

Arcane
Brazil hellspawn gonna Brazil. ...Not to say he shouldn't be held accountable.

tormund

Arcane
Thing is, that has shit all to do with his politics. Which is why they weren't mentioned.

Guy is just ungrateful, impossibly arrogant POS, one that treated other modders and mappers like shit (that at best can be used as a disposable source of resources and code) even before his gameplay mod became such a big deal.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Guy is just ungrateful, impossibly arrogant POS, one that treated other modders and mappers like shit (that at best can be used as a disposable source of resources and code) even before his gameplay mod became such a big deal.

good, modders should be whipped and humiliated on a regular basis. get used to nu modding low t cucks, mark is after your pixels and he hasnt washed for 2 weeks

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Modders are one of few sources of incline these days +M
uwtyball.png

I couldn't imagine how this would possibly work, given that Doom 64 is a lot more atmosphere-oriented than the mainline 2 Doom games. I don't think Brutal Doom works for those games either.

It doesn't feel that over-the-top to me. I dunno, maybe I'm not enough of a Doom connoisseur to tell the difference but I'm not seeing a whole lot of sacrilege from what I've played so far. Feels like Doom64 with better gibs, some atmospheric fog and visual effects. No Fuck Yourself, alternate fire modes on weapons or fatalities so far. I've had to mercy kill a few tortured marines on meathooks which probably wasn't in the original, but other than that...

Granted I haven't played Doom64 in a long time either. Maybe I'm misremembering how it played and have been duped into liking a bastardization travesty. Beats me but I'm having fun with it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This is much different than the regular Brutal Doom so those who have not tried it should give it a look at least. Aside from an opening level that has a massive battle to the entrance of the base, the game feels fairly close to the original atmosphere wise. I feel like many are comparing this to the other BD which is understandable but I get the impression he is going for something different here.

As for the complaints about the mod author stealing resources, that has always been one of those "who gives a fuck?" type things for me. When you make a mod you can be sure that people will use, alter, and share the fuck out of it with little regard for what you did for the community. It is thankless work and mod authors should get over it or make their own games. Granted if I was in his shoes I would just credit the resources, but that is just me. As for his personality, are people surprised that one of the most volatile communities is composed of a lot of assholes? I mean one of the original Doom authors shot up a fucking high school.

I wouldn't suck his cock or anything but his contributions to the community outweigh the things he has said. At the end of the day I just want to play some fucking video games and forget about drama bullshit. I've seen mod authors jump up peoples asses online due to someone uploading a private mod just to share with people that contains others assets. Seems ego drives these people to do what they do sometimes.

Anyway this is the best version of Doom 64 I have played on pc. I never cared for the original (as much) due to the controller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom