Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brutal Doom 64

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64

Doom 64 is a not so well known port of Doom for the Nintendo 64. Unlike the ports for other consoles, it's not exactly a port, but a completely new game, featuring completely new levels, textures, sprites, enemies, and a new plot that takes place right after the events of Doom 2, and it's plot strongly suggests to be the prequel to "Doom 2016" as it be considered a reasonable explanation of how the Doom Marine stayed in Hell and became known as the "Doom Slayer" (thus being considered canonical to the series by many fan theories, and being the TRUE Doom 3). In 2003, Samuel "Kaiser" Villarreal was able to extract all textures, sprites and sounds from the N64 ROM and faithfully recreate the levels in the Doomsday engine, thus creating the Doom 64 Absolution TC, and later making Doom 64 EX (an emulator for the ROM for PC). The Doomsday engine is today considered obsolete, and a Doomworld user called Nightside successfully ported all maps to work on GZDoom, but has given up the project.

Brutal Doom 64 aims to continue this project of porting Doom 64 to GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Unlike Doom 64 EX or Doom 64 Absolution the goal of this project is not to make a 1:1 port of Doom 64 for PC, but to enhance it in every possible way, bringing the satisfying gore and gunplay of Brutal Doom, new sounds and special effects that greatly enhances the oppressive atmosphere of D64, and attempting to include all the content cut from the original game due the cartridge space of the N64.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When will this be released?
A: October 30th 2016

Q: Is this a modification of a Rom? Can I play it on the Nintendo 64? Is this Doom 64 Ex?
A: Neither of above. This is a total conversion made for GZDoom/Zandronum for PC. No, you can't play it on the N64 (its hardware couldn't even render the effects being used here to start with). You require GZDoom or Zandronum installed, and you need to own Doom 2 to play it.

Q: Will this support multiplayer?
A: Yes. Up to 64 players on Zandronum 3.0. Co-Op, survival co-op, and deathmatch. Zandronum 2.1 will not be suported.

Q: Can I run with on software mode?
A: This mod is made for OpenGL and makes heavy use of additive translucency and dynamic lights. It is playable on software mode, but it will honestly look terrible.

Q: But I have a potato computer and cant run these new effects because my fps drops too much.
A: I will add a CVAR that allows you to disable the fog and reflection effects.

Q: Will the Revenant, Mastermind, Chaingunguy, and Archvile return?
A: You can already see the Revenant and the Chaingunguy (now Zombie Marine) on this video. The Mastermind still uses a placeholder sprite (just a pallete swap of the Arachnotron) but it will soon get its own sprites.
I am not sure about adding the Archvile, since its a very complex enemy (he forces the player to run away and take cover or would cause extreme damage with its unavoidable attack) and there would be no places designed for an Archvile fight in this game, and it would end up being just a very annoying enemy that adds nothing to the game's experience.

Q: What else cut content are you going to introduce?
A: I will surely add the Hell Hound and a a laser-like thing that was shown on some screenshots on game magazines at the time but was cut out. If you have any info on more secret stuff cut from Doom 64 that I could add to this mod, please let me know.

Q: Will there be fatalities and executions?
A: No, unlike the original Brutal Doom, this version is focused on making it as much as disturbing, horror and survival-oriented possible and a much more serious tone, So there won't be such over-the-top stuff.

Q: Will there be weapon reloads, assault rifle, etc?
A: I will make two player classes that can be choosen at the New Game menu. The player will be able to choose the "Classic" class for oldschool gameplay, or the "Tactical" class, that has an assault rifle, and weapons that deals more damage, but needs to be reloaded, and probably sprinting.
I am still not sure if I will include this on the initial release.

Q: Any way to contribute to your work?
A: Yes, I have a Patreon and a Paypal account (Paypal adress on my Patreon page).
Patreon.com

Astral Rag

Arcane
giphy-downsized-large.gif

tormund

Arcane
Look at it from the bright side boys, this will give some attention to D64 and convince more people to play it. And who knows, maybe some of them will be able to actually appreciate it and play it PROPERLY later on.

Riskbreaker

Doom 64 is a not so well known port of Doom for the Nintendo 64. Unlike the ports for other consoles, it's not exactly a port, but a completely new game
Please read this. Tell me if I'm reading it right: Doom 64 was a "port", but its difference from other ports is that it wasn't really a port but a wholly new game!

Also, I can't imagine anyone playing Doom 64 and thinking it a potentially good match for Br00tal makeover.

pippin

Doom 64 is a not so well known port of Doom for the Nintendo 64. Unlike the ports for other consoles, it's not exactly a port, but a completely new game
Please read this. Tell me if I'm reading it right: Doom 64 was a "port", but its difference from other ports is that it wasn't really a port but a wholly new game!

Also, I can't imagine anyone playing Doom 64 and thinking it a potentially good match for Br00tal makeover.

Doom 64 was a legit cool game. The thing that confuses me is how it could be "not so well known". I thought it was pretty popular on its own merits, not just because it was a Doom game.

:( I think it looks cool

But I won't deny the over-the-top Brutal Doom antics feels a bit more out of place in Doom64 than it does in vanilla.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It is sort of weird to see Doom 64 written up as if it was some sort of cult game. I never played it since I never owned an N64, but I remember it making a big enough splash for the N64 that it seemed like everyone had an opinion on it. You were either a it's-a-real-doom-game-on-console guy (with a faction decrying it not being on PlayStation) or a doom-belongs-on-PC guy.

A user named cat

How the hell is this a bad thing to anyone? If I'm not mistaken, you can disable basically all the stupid tryhard fx and just about anything else you don't like in Brutal Doom last I checked. So you'll be left with a PC port of Doom 64. This is decline how?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game's level design is interesting, feels kind of like a missing link between Doom and Half-Life.

nomask7

Arcane
"Q: Will there be fatalities and executions?
"A: No, unlike the original Brutal Doom, this version is focused on making it as much as disturbing, horror and survival-oriented possible and a much more serious tone, So there won't be such over-the-top stuff."

Sounds good.

Dayyālu

Arcane
How the hell is this a bad thing to anyone? If I'm not mistaken, you can disable basically all the stupid tryhard fx and just about anything else you don't like in Brutal Doom last I checked. So you'll be left with a PC port of Doom 64. This is decline how?

Sarge is an asshat (being Brazilian, racist and rather aggressive in internet confrontations) and he managed to get banned from most Doom-related forums thanks to shitposting. Furthermore, BD was (as usual with Doom mods) also the work of quite a lot people, as sprite work was done by people different from Sarge. Jealousy, hatred, SJWish, Sarge being a legit asshat, draaama.... that's one reason people dislike BD.

Another is common Codexian edginess, because Codexers like to be the parodies of themselves THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY DOOM (I disagree intensely: fan gameplay mods and maps are the blood of the Doom community, but edgelords gonna edgelords).

Another is that Sarge started and dropped quite a bit of projects (Brutal Hexen, Brutal Strife). Another is that the fanbase is annoying as heck.

But as you said, in the end this is good: maybe a chance for Doom64 to reach more visibility.

tormund

Arcane
Another is common Codexian edginess, because Codexers like to be the parodies of themselves THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY DOOM (I disagree intensely: fan gameplay mods and maps are the blood of the Doom community, but edgelords gonna edgelords).
This was never the thing. If people's dislike for BD is accented, it is due to enormous amount of attention it received and to how journos and fans alike (many of them never having played Doom before) presented it as the perfect way to play Doom, and the way Doom would've been in the first place if tech allowed it back in the day.

There's also the thing with so may of us legit not enjoying BD's gameplay changes, and yet having our opinions constantly dismissed as edginess, elitism, purism, dishonesty...

The game's level design is interesting, feels kind of like a missing link between Doom and Half-Life.
i doesn't. I have no idea where you're coming from with the HL connection.

Dayyālu

Arcane
If people's dislike for BD is accented, it is due to enormous amount of attention it received and to how journos and fans alike (many of them never having played Doom before) presented it as the perfect way to play Doom, and the way Doom would've been in the first place if tech allowed it back in the day.

Ahh, yes, "It's popular so it must suck". Another pillar of Codexian mentality. Sometimes warranted, sometimes not.

There's also the thing with so may of us legit not enjoying BD's gameplay changes, and yet having our opinions constantly dismissed as edginess, elitism, purism, dishonesty...

.... maybe some of them will be able to actually appreciate it and play it PROPERLY later on.

Yes?

This suggests there is a way to play it properly, compared to an improper way (modded, I presume)....

Just jokin', by the way :D. I consider BD good for what it is, and I merely replied to a question why someone can find Brutal Doom 64 a bad thing. Personally, the only thing that irks me about BD is that it makes some custom maps downright unplayable and the drama it caused. I share your wish that this will hopefully provide more visibility to Doom64.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I like BD for what it is: a modification, and an alternative way to play Doom. There's tons of mods like this and they can all be fun when taken for what they are, but ultimately vanilla Doom is the only tr00 Doom. Brutal Doom zealots only get on my nerves when they try to argue their way IS the way, and the fact this shit seeped into the mainstream is even more irritating. Take nu-Doom, which advertised itself as being totally old skool by showing us how VIOLENT and BR00TAL it was. Brutal Doom created a perception of what Doom is to people who never played the original which at this point is impossible to correct.

Ash

Arcane
Brutal Doom created a perception of what Doom is to people who never played the original which at this point is impossible to correct.

I don't take issue with this, aside from the retarded third person fatalities. "oh noes you have to reload!" ...These people do realize you don't have to STOP and reload, right? And sometimes you can't. You must continue circle strafing while reloading, and are left vulnerable in this state. Brutal Doom's gameplay demands more brainpower and skill, and that's primarily why I'll never touch vanilla again. Monsters that are competent threats is a big factor. Overall there's approximately twice as many variables the player has to consider.

Edit: To add to the reload thing, continual firepower is still an option. Instead of reloading, switch weapon. Switching to another weapon (which takes about 1 second, about the same time as it takes to cock the shotgun's pump) instead of reloading is often a good tactic when you're overwhelmed. Furthermore there are still weapons that do not reload, like the BFG, chaingun and super shotgun (or it does reload, and did vanilla, technically).

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I didn't know this was its own game. Who's played it, and how does it compare to the originals?

So are you saying it's more linear?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It might be, but what I meant is that it seems more realistic, with an architectural style that reminds me of Black Mesa in places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom