Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It looks like a pretty simplistic adventure game with a focus on story and puzzles. Like a Swedish attempt at ICO or something.

I've heard some pretty good things about it, besides the game being pretty short. Any Codexer played it?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Absolutely no info about the game itself, wrong subforum(?)...

Do you even post, bro?

Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons begins and ends with death--and what's in between certainly has its fair share of dark, dysphoric moments. So, as one might expect from such morbid subject matter, this isn't the kind of game you can just play for an hour and expect to wash over you. There's a certain amount of emotional investment required to get the most out of A Tale Of Two Sons' grand adventure, but--despite a few slip ups along the way--it's more than worth it. There are moments here that can squeeze a tear from the iciest of souls, or leave you gawking at the screen in amazement. It's a story that's told with heart, elegance, and a lightness of touch that makes exploring the vast vistas of its fairytale world utterly bewitching.

Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons is a dark, emotionally charged adventure that's a masterclass in doing more with less.

The Good
  • Expertly told story
  • Grand, beautiful visuals
  • Clever puzzles that flex the mind and fingers
  • Heart-melting moments.
The Bad
  • Short length leaves too little time to connect with the lead characters.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Absolutely no info about the game itself
-> simplistic adventure game with a focus on story and puzzles
-> Like a Swedish attempt at ICO or something
-> the game being pretty short

wrong subforum(?)
-> maybe, maybe not. maybe fuck you

Athelas

Arcane
I've played it. It's fun, but it almost plays itself. The puzzles are incredibly simplistic - a shame, because they feature some interesting ideas and the world design is great. The main challenge is moving the two brothers at the same time.

Clever puzzles that flex the mind and fingers
Christ, how do these people even dress themselves?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
From what I saw the game is a gimmick - interesting controls but very little actual gameplay. Would be nice if this idea was fleshed out some.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TotalBiscuit praises it above all reasonable levels. He actually said it might be his favourite game of all time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Okay so I finished it already.
It's short enough to be played in one sitting, definitely.

I liked the artsy aspects. Art, music, lighting, sounds.
I liked the concept of controlling two characters, and the focus on 'teamwork'.

I didn't really like the gameplay too much. They could have added some challenge, and reduced the on-rails bits. It's linear, no doubt about it.
The game doesn't require a controller, but I would recommend using one anyway (with two analog sticks, eg Xbox).

Overall, I'd say it's worth a Steam sale purchase. I'm very glad to see a non-AAA games developed by Swedes that doesn't suck.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the game doesn't require a controller, but it's designed for 2 analog sticks. it's a better way to play it.

Borelli

Arcane

Is it like Lost Vikings or Goblins series in this regard?

Caim

Arcane

No, you control both dudes at the same time, though sometimes one needs to do something standing still while the other moves around.

Speaking of, where is the next part of Lost Vikings? Get your shit together, Blizzard.

Dr Tomo

Learned

No, you control both dudes at the same time, though sometimes one needs to do something standing still while the other moves around.

Speaking of, where is the next part of Lost Vikings? Get your shit together, Blizzard.

Trying to figure out in the pre devvelopment how to add a RMAH to the game.

Okay so I finished it already.
It's short enough to be played in one sitting, definitely.

I liked the artsy aspects. Art, music, lighting, sounds.

I didn't really like the gameplay too much. They could have added some challenge, and reduced the on-rails bits. It's linear, no doubt about it.
The game doesn't require a controller, but I would recommend using one anyway (with two analog sticks, eg Xbox).

Overall, I'd say it's worth a Steam sale purchase. I'm very glad to see a non-AAA games developed by Swedes that doesn't suck.

I just finished the game. It was short enough where the simplistic puzzles didn't really bother me that much, the art is great, it runs really well and most importantly - it's subtle. It's one of the only games released recently that doesn't flood you with button prompts or tutorials or any such bullshit - even though it's really easy.

It reminded me quite a bit of the PS2 game ICO, which I really like, but this one is a lot simpler and more limited in scope. The ending was quite satisfying, though, and again, as the game is short enough, I would definitely recommend a playthrough.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's a good game. Decent storytelling, and interesting mechanics.

Dr Tomo

Learned
ICO was definitely a major inspiration but honestly this fell way short, ICO actually had some decent puzzles and interesting environments, Brothers is just really simplistic.

That said, I still enjoyed going through the game, and I have to admit the ending portion genuinely moved me, but there's really no comparison between the two games, especially from a mechanics standpoint. They could have taken the concept much further, but popamole concerns speak louder, I guess.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have finished this recently, and watched the game being played through by my sister in one sitting yesterday. I would definitely recommend playing it this way (and with a controller), as the game makes a much stronger impact. Somewhat like watching a movie - better done in one go.

This is basically a 'road movie' style adventure in a fairy tale type of fantasy setting. I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed it, and while it is not 'the best game ever' (WTF?), and it has some problems (simple puzzles, linearity, a bit short), it is a really fun experience overall. It has some of the best visual world building I have seen in a long time, and manages to give a lot of depth to its characters, especially considering there is no comprehensible dialogue at all (everyone speaks in gibberish, if at all). Good music too.

Simple gameplay is a bit spiced up with controlling both brothers at the same time, which forces the player to do some quick multi-task thinking a few times, but still, you would not want to play this for gameplay alone.

Definitely worth the $4 I paid for it - not sure if I would get it at full price, though. Maaaaybe?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom