Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brother None is leaving Gamebanshee, joins InXile

MightyHoax

Educated
Project: Eternity
cV6VZaT.jpg

"Hello! My name is Thomas Beekers, also known as Brother None. You may know me from reviews such as..."

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fair enough, anyways... and back on topic. I always found weird the concept of working from home the entire day, i figure that in my case it would be highly unproductive, has anyone here have any experience with that?
Not really. This is going to sound lame, but work is a state of mind. If you are driven by what you are doing and enjoy doing it, it won't feel like work, and you will be motivated to complete it. Sure, there is always bound to be some help in getting a distraction-free environment like an office, but it's not really the environment that keeps you going... or at least, it shouldn't if you like the job.

That said, some people do have problems cracking down and putting their mind to the task... which is why sometimes it's good to have rules for work days like "get dressed", "set up a home office separate from your entertainment", "be sure to call and talk to those you are working with/for frequently" etc.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
That said, some people do have problems cracking down and putting their mind to the task... which is why sometimes it's good to have rules for work days like "get dressed", "set up a home office separate from your entertainment", "be sure to call and talk to those you are working with/for frequently" etc.

All they need to do is set up a virtual office environment, so bosses can keep an eye on staff and staff can communicate easily when they need to, and all the disadvantages of working from home disappear.

Really, I am surprised virtual offices haven't become mainstream already. Old style offices are unnecessary and are highly unproductive IMO. You waste hours getting there and they are not conducive to getting work done. Too much noise, comings and goings and people wasting time talking nonsense.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

All they need to do is set up a virtual office environment, so bosses can keep an eye on staff and staff can communicate easily when they need to, and all the disadvantages of working from home disappear.

Really, I am surprised virtual offices haven't become mainstream already. Old style offices are unnecessary and are highly unproductive IMO. You waste hours getting there and they are not conducive to getting work done. Too much noise, comings and goings and people wasting time talking nonsense.
This depends on the type of work you are doing. I'm running different projects at a university, and I can't imagine to work from home. I have to be in touch with my co-workers, but not just to talk with them, but to go top their desks, show them charts and stuff, borrow their charts and stuff, get their signature etc.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
If your charts are made on computer, you can send images or files. As for talking you can do it on PC camera, or in a virtual environment like Second Life. And of course there are digital signatures. It wouldn't surprise me if packages that do all of these things already exist.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, even with a lot of tools there will always be some communication and coordination advantages to working in an office. So I don't think it's quite going out of style yet, for create projects that need sizable teams like video games. That said, there are studios that as far as I know don't have an office at all, such as the guys work on the new Rise of the Triad (I think) and I'd hope several Kickstarter games, since at their scope an office is just a waste of money.

inXile works with a mix of from-homes and in-offices. Most of the Torment team right now is from-home.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So... inXile hired some dude from the Netherlands to work from home, as a "line" "producer"...
Hey, someone has to produce all those lines you see about the place.

inXile works with a mix of from-homes and in-offices. Most of the Torment team right now is from-home.
Yeah but that's not really because of life-style opportunities and increased productiveness, it's because they're broke.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Heh. I always work from home - when I'm on sick leave.

:rpgcodex:

Congrats. Try to stay posting on the Codex. Don't give us crap about it being complicated or not in your interest to do so

Oesophagus

Arcane
Remember to constantly subtly whisper the right buzzwords in Brian's ear.
Turn-based combat... choices and consequences... detailed lore... challenge... hardcore...

Visceral combat...awesome button...I want to be a Ranger...

Actually, If W2 is a success, the good Brother should take on the role of the roman slave, whispering "remember you are mortal" into the ear of the victorius Fargo

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Well, even with a lot of tools there will always be some communication and coordination advantages to working in an office. So I don't think it's quite going out of style yet, for create projects that need sizable teams like video games. That said, there are studios that as far as I know don't have an office at all, such as the guys work on the new Rise of the Triad (I think) and I'd hope several Kickstarter games, since at their scope an office is just a waste of money.

It makes sense for a small company where saving a bunch of money vs some loss of productivity is worth it. Yahoo just banned the work from home practice that had become a big part of their culture. I wonder how the virtual home office trend will go in the future. Maybe it doesn't make sense until some VR technology takes off.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Remember to constantly subtly whisper the right buzzwords in Brian's ear.
Turn-based combat... choices and consequences... detailed lore... challenge... hardcore...

Visceral combat...awesome button...I want to be a Ranger...

Actually, If W2 is a success, the good Brother should take on the role of the roman slave, whispering "remember you are mortal" into the ear of the victorius Fargo
m8oima.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Bro i wanna work from home, any vacancy?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Enjoy working for free for the last couple of months of inXile's existence while Brian swears he'll pay everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom