Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline BROFORCE

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are a handful of locations in the campaign where you can screw yourself over if you blow up everything in sight.

The user-made levels, however, are not so forgiving. Actually, finding decently-made user levels is a task in and of itself. Most modders are either releasing levels that test certain aspects of the gameplay or just chucking out stuff for the lulz. I've seen Broforce versions of Donkey Kong, Rick Dangerous and even a side-scrolling SHMUPS.

Speedrunning Broforce seems to be the "in" thing to do with this game, though I personally prefer to scour the level clean of mooks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-05-broforce-gets-an-official-the-expendables-3-crossover

Broforce gets an official The Expendables 3 crossover
Introducing The Expendabros, a free standalone game.

The first time we covered Broforce I noted that it's "what The Expendables game should have been." Well, someone at Lionsgate had a similar idea and decided to collaborate with Broforce developer Free Lives to create a free promotional spin-off of the testosterone-mad shooter that's a crossover with the upcoming The Expendables 3.

Entitled The Expendabros, this standalone PC crossover sees players assume the role of The Expendables 3's various action stars as they fight through 10 stages of destructive mayhem in an effort to take down Mel Gibson's improbably named villain, Conrad Stonebanks.

Like Broforce proper, The Expendabros will feature local co-op for up to four players.

Since The Expendabros is only a promotional item, it has a limited run and will be removed from Steam on 31st December.

Broforce is still in Steam Early Access for PC and Mac. Our 80's action movie aficionado Chris Donlan waxed flowery about the Broforce beta in December. More importantly, Robotron and Defender developer Eugene Jarvis sung his praises of Broforce in a correspondence with Eurogamer where he called it "Mario meets Defender meets Duke Nukem you gotta love it!!!!" He was specifically enamoured with its "gratuitous explosions up the ass!"

Problem shihonage? ;)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
NOW THIS IS HOW YOU DO A MOVIE TIE-IN!!!

Just played through it. It's a decent upgrade to Broforce, loads of new stuff.

The new Rocket Mook can be a real pain in the ass if you let him live long enough to get off a shot. Also, GIANT SAWBLADES!!! that when something lands on them they're slowly cut into gibs, not instagibbed like with so many other GIANT SAWBLADES! (Note inferior quality due to lack of exclamation marks.)

The endboss is brutal, but his weakness is that he has no defenses up top.

Almost all of the bros are based on enhanced mash-ups of the bros from the "standard" Broforce. The Stallone bro is the weakest (short pistol range and weak bullets) and the Schwarzenegger bro is BY FAR the most powerful (long-range, rapid fire and strong bullets).

Downside? It has QTEs. Mash the fire button in a couple of cutscenes. No big deal really.

It's a free game, GO GET IT!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Not yet, but hopefully someone will find one because this is a "limited offer" that will expire on December 31st. Unless the developer incorporates this into the main game as a bonus campaign or even a free DLC.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There haven't been any new updates to Broforce in a while, so I went and scouted around, the update is on Tuesday a week from now (Oct 7th).

First off, the reason they changed all the sound files is because the mook sounds they were using were all Homer Simpson soundbytes, which means copyright infringements ahoy! They had to go.

Second, the assets from the Expendabros minigame WILL make it into the final game. Sawblades, the RC car, art assets, Bazookamook, etc.

Currently they've been implementing throwable mooks. Yes, pick them up and throw them. Works best with suicide mooks. Also opens up possibilities for a Hulk Hogan bro down the line.

Finally, they are working on some new bros. Tell me if these look familiar:

2uqka6e.jpg

Mad Max and Beatrix Kiddo

They've already got working ideas for them. The former has the flaming shotgun from Expendabros and a boomerang, while the latter has a charging attack against a mook that sends them flying before they explode (Five Point Palm Exploding Heart thingie).

They've also updated the spiketraps. Once again mooks turn out to be useful.

ThrowingMooksOnSpikes.gif

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The update is out. I hope you've already unlocked all the bros, because unlocking the two latest is going to take QUITE A WHILE.

Otherwise the update is pretty much as described earlier. Two new bros, new enemy, objects and scenery from Expendabros is in the Editor assets, new Editor, Steam Workshop compatibility and lots of other little things.

Next update? Aliens. Lots and lots of aliens.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing, the main campaign has two new sections that become available once you've cleared out all the other sections.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, that Alien update is still some ways away, but in the meantime they made a "housecleaning" update, fixing lots of little stuff, adding some little stuff and improving the editor.

The upside to that is now there is a LOT of flexibility in the editor, and to promote this they've started a "Steam Workshop Brodown" where people are encouraged to make new levels.

The downside? The only level that has been released is a parody of Michael Bay films, complete with tons of needless explosions.

Either people are still getting to grips with the editor, or Broforce has lost its momentum. This summer there were 3-4 levels released every day. Now it's 2-3 levels a week.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Christmas update!

New Bro: Double Bro 7, he prefers them shaken, not stirred.

DoubleBroSevenMartini.gif

(Requires 26 rescues to be unlocked.)

For those who have played the main campaign, fly down to the southwest corner of the map and an island will pop up, here you'll find user-generated maps.

Another cool feature is that the "specials" for each Bro now have icons relevant to the special's power. Various types of grenades, a green crosshair for Robocop, machetes for Machete and red pills for Neo.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I finally unlocked Double Bro 7, and he's a whole different kettle of fish.

First off, he's based off Sean Connery appearance-wise, so he's by far the oldest bro in the game. His primary is a gun with a silencer, very short range but the mooks have a special death animation (clutching their chests) when he guns them down.

But it's the "special" that makes him stand out. He has four specials, and each is different. First is the martini shown in the .gif above, then there's a rocketpack which gives him a short boost. Then there's the laser-in-the-watch which sends a long beam in a °180 arc, and finally there's a mook mask he puts on to go "undercover". Each of the specials have their own respective icon, so you always know which special will be activated next.

This makes Double Bro 7 a strategic, tactical and stealthy Bro, not a straight-out run 'n' gun, fire-and-forget 'esplushions!' kinda bro like the rest of them.

Expect LOADS of new levels based around him in the future.

And because it's Christmas, there are special holiday surprises in the game. Christmas trees decorated by (and with) the mooks, presents that can give you stuff like the RC car from Expendabros and more.

Finally, Broforce is part of the Daily Deal, 33% off. Don't delay, bring the spirit of free Christmas to a troublespot near you!

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And the Alien update is out.

No new bros this time round, but plenty of acid-bleeding baddies to stomp on.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried the Expandabros since it for FREE!

At first I was just trying to destroy as much terrain as I could. The flow of the game is good - you are one man killing machine but you must watch for some nasty attacks and bigger enemies. Sometimes it feels like Dig Dug or Boulder Dash where you can just change the part of the level when you are too lazy to move up on the ladders. Gunplay and melee is nice too, there could implement something like bonuses to the attacks or grabbing the diffrent weapons from the fallen guys. I liked that in Metal Slug. Some of the guys were overpowered, but Wesley Snipes was too fragile. I've always ended up dying quickly just for another roll with someone diffrent. It's too short, but I shouldn't complain. Nice demo if someone like me didn't know anything about the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom