Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info BRIIIIAAAAAAANS!

Pliskin

Arbiter
OgreOgre said:
Vault Dweller said:
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy...
It's not a shooter.
Does a game have to be a shooter to be combat-heavy?

Vault Dweller said:
With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.
Assuredly?
What kind of complex dialogs can you expect in a zombie game? No, really, I'd like to know what you think.

Tell me you aren't expecting dialogue with teh zombies...?

bhlaab

Erudite
Sounds like part of the gameplay will be sort of like The Thing where you aren't sure who is going to change and such.

Anyway, I enjoyed Vampire RPG and Zombie RPG sounds good as well. Can't wait for Ghost RPG and Wolfman RPG (hopefully with nards)

Double Ogre

Scholar
Pliskin said:
I'm expecting a dungeon romp with a few gameplay gimmicks thrown in. A food meter has already been confirmed.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What Brian Mitsoda describes is something like the movie 28 days later. I'm not really crazy about this setting in an RPG. It sounds a bit like fallout , only in FO your main adversaries, the mutants, were highly intelligent creatures unlike the mindless zombies. I'd prefer an "I am Legend" style of approach to the zombies (from the book, not the awful movie).

Really, this setting is far less interesting than that of the Cthulhu mythos of Cyclopean. But of course we're talking about two experienced developers and Brian's work in Bloodlines makes me very optimistic about this project.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
OgreOgre said:
Pliskin said:
I'm expecting a dungeon romp with a few gameplay gimmicks thrown in. A food meter has already been confirmed.
Has it?

"The player will never have to worry about feeding themselves in the normal mode of the game. It's somewhat like a form of currency..."

bhlaab

Erudite
It sounds more like Dawn of the Dead where your main adversaries ironically turn out be other survivors who don't want to share

edit: and have rad motorcycles!

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
VD, when is AoD coming out? It's hard to take any of this info seriously when nothing has been completed of like the 3 games now.

Silellak

Cipher
OgreOgre said:
Vault Dweller said:
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy...
It's not a shooter.

Vault Dweller said:
Assuredly?
What kind of complex dialogs can you expect in a zombie game? No, really, I'd like to know what you think.

"We don't have room for any more people here - especially not when one of you already looks to be bitten. Find your own damn spot."

1. [Persuade + Jonathan in party] Are you certain? We have much to trade that could change your mind, and Jonathan here was even a doctor before the outbreak. Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care?
2. [Persuade, no Jonathan in party, well armed] Are you certain? Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care? We are more than willing to aid in the defense as well, of course.
3. [Persuade, no Jonathan in party, poorly armed] Are you certain? Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care?
4. [Intimidate, well armed] What in my tone made you think I was asking? You can either share willingly, or we'll take what we need once you've stopped breathing. I'm willing to bet we're better armed than anyone else you have there.
5. [Intimidate, poorly armed] What in my tone made you think I was asking? You can either share willingly, or we'll take what we need once you've stopped breathing.
6. [Medicine] I am a doctor. Surely, you have need of such rare and useful talents?
7. [Repair] I can hear your generator breaking down from out here. Let me take a look at it, and if I can fix it, you let us stay.
8. *attack without saying a word*
9. *kill your infected party member* How about now? There's one less of us.
10. Very well, but if we die, it will be on your conscience.
11. *grab collar*
12. [Intelligence] But there are zombies out there.

"We need additional supplies, but we can't abandon this position, and you need to stay here. Who of your group can you spare?"

1. Daniel is the best trained and in good health, and the chance of success is high, but losing him would be a large blow.
2. Sarah is already bitten, so she's damned either way. She may not have the best chance of success, but nothing lost if she fails.
3. Tim is small, fast, and quick, but poorly trained. The team likes him, and if we lose him, it will be a hit to morale.
4. Send both Daniel and Sarah. He can keep an eye on her. Risk losing both. Less defenders if attacked.
5. Send both Tim and Daniel. Daniel's training and Tim's natural talent should compliment each other. Risk losing both. Less defenders if attacked.
6. Send all three. Best chance of success, but risk losing all three. Less defenders if attacked.

...you know, I can't really think of anything, I guess.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
VD, when is AoD coming out? It's hard to take any of this info seriously when nothing has been completed of like the 3 games now.
Then don't take it seriously. We are, like, totally cool with that.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Then don't take it seriously. We are, like, totally cool with that.

Release the game you faggot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Game has potential... as longa s Mitsoda is allowed to do his thing, and Carlson isn't allowed to do hers.

Silellak

Cipher
bhlaab said:
Can you romance a zombie

Shit, sorry. Editing to add spoiler tag.

Only in the Japanese Hentai Game mode that's unlocked after you finish the normal mode.

1114zombies.jpg

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Silellak said:
OgreOgre said:
Vault Dweller said:
OgreOgre said:
It's not a shooter.

Vault Dweller said:
Assuredly?

"We don't have room for any more people here - especially not when one of you already looks to be bitten. Find your own damn spot."

1. [Persuade + Jonathan in party] Are you certain? We have much to trade that could change your mind, and Jonathan here was even a doctor before the outbreak. Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care?
2. [Persuade, no Jonathan in party, well armed] Are you certain? Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care? We are more than willing to aid in the defense as well, of course.
3. [Persuade, no Jonathan in party, poorly armed] Are you certain? Surely you have some injured or sick that could use care?
4. [Intimidate, well armed] What in my tone made you think I was asking? You can either share willingly, or we'll take what we need once you've stopped breathing. I'm willing to bet we're better armed than anyone else you have there.
5. [Intimidate, poorly armed] What in my tone made you think I was asking? You can either share willingly, or we'll take what we need once you've stopped breathing.
6. [Medicine] I am a doctor. Surely, you have need of such rare and useful talents?
7. [Repair] I can hear your generator breaking down from out here. Let me take a look at it, and if I can fix it, you let us stay.
8. *attack without saying a word*
9. *kill your infected party member* How about now? There's one less of us.
10. Very well, but if we die, it will be on your conscience.
11. *grab collar*
12. [Intelligence] But there are zombies out there.

"We need additional supplies, but we can't abandon this position, and you need to stay here. Who of your group can you spare?"

1. Daniel is the best trained and in good health, and the chance of success is high, but losing him would be a large blow.
2. Sarah is already bitten, so she's damned either way. She may not have the best chance of success, but nothing lost if she fails.
3. Tim is small, fast, and quick, but poorly trained. The team likes him, and if we lose him, it will be a hit to morale.
4. Send both Daniel and Sarah. He can keep an eye on her. Risk losing both. Less defenders if attacked.
5. Send both Tim and Daniel. Daniel's training and Tim's natural talent should compliment each other. Risk losing both. Less defenders if attacked.
6. Send all three. Best chance of success, but risk losing all three. Less defenders if attacked.

...you know, I can't really think of anything, I guess.
Brian actually gave some new details on party interaction:
Dealing with allies and their personality quirks is definitely a big part of managing them. They have a wide range of behaviors. Depending on how your character manages them, you can change their default behavior and curb some of their less desirable traits - or encourage them, if you find that more helpful.

depending on your actions, certain NPCs are going to approve/disapprove of your management. Over time, there are consequences and rewards. I'm going to go into detail about this system at another time, but essentially as a leader, you have to make decisions that keep your group functioning as a whole. Lose support and people start losing faith in your ability or the group's ability to survive. There's bit of a political aspect to it.

if you were to increase the Leadership skill, you'd open up more Leadership-based dialogue options and increase the effectiveness of your allies.
Sounds very nice, especially since he proved with Bloodlines that he can write up some great and memorable characters.

Silellak

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
Brian actually gave some new details on party interaction:
Dealing with allies and their personality quirks is definitely a big part of managing them. They have a wide range of behaviors. Depending on how your character manages them, you can change their default behavior and curb some of their less desirable traits - or encourage them, if you find that more helpful.

depending on your actions, certain NPCs are going to approve/disapprove of your management. Over time, there are consequences and rewards. I'm going to go into detail about this system at another time, but essentially as a leader, you have to make decisions that keep your group functioning as a whole. Lose support and people start losing faith in your ability or the group's ability to survive. There's bit of a political aspect to it.

if you were to increase the Leadership skill, you'd open up more Leadership-based dialogue options and increase the effectiveness of your allies.
Sounds very nice, especially since he proved with Bloodlines that he can write up some great and memorable characters.

BUT HOW CAN A ZOMBIE GAME HAVE GREAT OR MEMORABLE CHARACTERS?!??! I'M SO CONFUSED.

Black

Arcane
I can't imagine a good R_P_G with zombies.
Until it's released-guilty.
Also, I'm sure it'll be impossible to totally avoid combat in Zombies: The RPG.

AzraelCC

Scholar
I'd rather have a zombie apocalypse game in the vein of the Unreal World than a dialogue heavy RPG. That way, you can have cannibalism when food stock run low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom