Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brian Fargo announces Bard's Tale IV at PAX South

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think he's simply referring to both sides: player vs enemy teams attacking at the same. Would be interesting if there was movement involved, though if it's a blobber, there likely won't be.
iEwKpfY.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
Uhm, what part of 'likely' (i.e. not impossible) don't you understand? And the movement in Albion was fairly limited, not what I had in mind.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And I'd say that with anymore movement options than that or W8 you shouldn't bother with making it a blobber.

set

Cipher
why do people drop names like hearthstone like it's a positive thing?? why have I never heard of an executive producer or creative director or anyone in development drop a name like vtmb or jagged alliance or deus ex :(

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
why do people drop names like hearthstone like it's a positive thing?? why have I never heard of an executive producer or creative director or anyone in development drop a name like vtmb or jagged alliance or deus ex :(
Jagged Alliance 2 was named dropped as inspiration while WL2 was being pitched, Deus Ex is named dropped all the time, and vtmb sold so poorly no one wants to bring it up.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There can never be too many blobbers (and there aren't). And we will also have enough isometric RPG's by then, including Torment 2, Underrail, Pillars of Eternity and Age of Decadence.

It does sound like Fargo wants to do phased combat like in Wizardry with some Hearthstone stuff thrown in. Sounds interesting.

Well, I took a risk on Fargo, too, and it didn't pan out, either. By your own logic, you've made a mockery of yourself by suggesting that anyone should continue to support Fargo, hoping he won't fuck up again.

For me, Wasteland 2 was the best game last year. However, had I paid $1000 for it, I may have also had unrealistically high expectations. It wasn't as good as Torment, but it was almost as good as Fallout 1/2.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
...it was almost as good as Fallout 1/2.

You're kidding, right?

If that were true, I'd have sent him another $1,000 through money order as a thank-you gift. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who's actually played Fallout/2 could write such a thing with a straight face.

evdk

Patron
You're kidding, right?

If that were true, I'd have sent him another $1,000 through money order as a thank-you gift. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who's actually played Fallout/2 could write such a thing with a straight face.
WL2 is as good as FO, Gothic is a first person game, you know the drill...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah yes, sales figures as a metric for success—pure incline.

That Metacritic user score of 73, though, now that's unreliable! Those people have no taste, unlike the hundreds of thousands who bought the game on spec. Fallout 2 has a Metacritic user score of 93, but that doesn't matter at all either.

Photokoi

Learned
WL2 is as good as FO, Gothic is a first person game, you know the drill...
Wasteland 2 is not nearly as good as the original Fallout. Did you mean FO tactics? Maybe. The original Fallout is still insanely the best.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Ah yes, sales figures as a metric for success—pure incline.

That Metacritic user score of 73, though, now that's unreliable! Those people have no taste, unlike the hundreds of thousands who bought the game on spec. Fallout 2 has a Metacritic user score of 93, but that doesn't matter at all either.

My sarcasm detector is in the shop.

Wasteland 2 sold well, as for reception, It was well received by steam, got nice reviews by the dorito munchers, Metacritic user scores may find it mediocre, but as far as the game of the year awards and the general public are concerned those reviews don't mean much. (I personally find them more reliable than Game journalist shills when it comes to a lot of classic games.)

Maybe not the greatest reception, but still a shit example to use if you're trying to speculate on how bad their next game will be. "If Wasteland 2 is anything to go by", if it is then it will be mostly well received almost universally, including on the Codex, and at the very least receive mixed to high average ratings, mostly based on a few super low ratings.

Photokoi

Learned
I agree that there really isn't a need or desire to modernize the dungeon crawl in the way it sounds Brian Fago wants to.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
"I prefer to be on Showtime rather than NBC," he said. "That's the kind of entertainment I like to watch, and it's the same thing with these kind of games. I'm able to make something that caters to a crowd that really loves that experience."
:salute:
Say what you will about Fargo and this project, I love that he didn't say his aspiration was to be HBO or AMC, but Showtime. I don't know if that's humility or his own eccentric tastes, but it certainly made me smile. Reminds me of when he said at the launch party that what he wants to be is an entertainer. Not an artist or a creator. In any case, he's a savvy businessman, so maybe there's some kind of gold dust stuffed inside the Bard's Gate cadaver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom