Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Bravely Default

grudgebringer

Now that's a lengthy demo. Six hours into and I still haven't finished it yet. Have to proceed with town restoration in order to obtain heavy weapon. And it seems like I won't get any new quests until then.

It surprised me that freelancer type of job is pretty useful, it has ability that let your party avoid traps when interacting with dungeons. P.cool, huh.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh good heavens, a demo is out!? To the 3DS!

...European Store Only...

...Coming to Europe two months earlier than North America...

Well, I guess you guys deserve something before us for once...

(Fuck you Nintendo for region locking the 3DS.)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If it makes you any happier, my copy got stuck in the snowstorm here in schweden. So I went to the store and picked up Zelda to have something to play (got the 3DS today). Was gonna buy it anyway, sooner or later.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Been playing it a bit.

This game is da balls. Best jarpgo since FF9.
FF9 is actually the one game I'd compare it too.
Combat seems a little simple at the moment but it looks like it's picking up.

I was expecting to switch to jap language, but now I'm playing with english voices because they're so nerdy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This is the first time I regret buying the US 3DS.
It's bizarro world or something. It's like the first time EU has ever been "first" with anything Japanese. Luckily for me, the first time I really wanted something Japanese too :D
It seems to be selling quite well. My brother had a hard time getting his hands on a copy, but he eventually found one outside the city.

Does anyone know if the jobs are kinda balanced or are you supposed to constantly change to new ones? I'm kinda happy with my black mage, white mage, knight and monk. But I hear you get ninjas and shit later on.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In my experience with 4 Heroes of Light, of which this is a spiritual successor, you can stick with the basic jobs if you want but experimenting with them is just much more fun. Plus while the game isn't really difficult, it still encourages you to do so because some of the more advanced classes can make some fights considerably easier (or on the contrary, create additional challenge if that's your thing). It's probably the same in Bravely Default.

grudgebringer

As far as I know you will be prompted to swap jobs from time to time in regard to boss challenges. Because they will seem to be pretty unbeatable at first glance, but also bear some weak spots for specific kind of physical or elemental attacks.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Where is the 3DS emulator ? :(

(Isn't the 3DS an overclocked DS ?)
The thing about consoles this gen is that devs are going WAY out of their way to try to prevent piracy. It's going to take a LONG time to be reverse engineered and emulated properly

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
bravely default has so much 3ds gimmicky shit going on it... doubt it will ever be emulated.
that's actually the one really annoying thing about this game: "street pass"

I just started chapter 2 now. nice boss fights so far.
I wish there was more stuff on the world map though. optional locations and small things like "in this tall grass you can fight these guys who has a chance to drop this item" and stuff like that. the playstation final fantasys has a ton of that.

Bahamut

Arcane
Finally bought a SD card to demo'ed this

So far its nice, the job system reminds me FF5 in good way (had a litte laught that a dude can become a valkyrie :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues: witch is really old dragoon job)and the brave/default crap so far seems like a good addition to revitalize ol' jrpg turnbased stationary combat abit. As for graphics, i dont really like the bobble head style, but for me its the first game on the system that really benefits from the 3d gimmick

What i dislike its that whole street pass/multiplayer mumbo jumbo

Still might pick this up some day at bargain price, as prices for new 3ds games in potato are horrendous (we dont have anyone who distribute 3ds games, only online sellers that sell imports)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've been playing it quite a bit now.

There's definitely a repetitive pattern in the game:
a) town or something similar for resting, buying stuff, and saving.
b) surrounding area for grinding.
c) dungeon
The progression is usually a -> b -> c (get owned by boss) -> b (return to grind) -> c (completely own boss) -> a (next town).

The dungeons are usually 3-4 levels, some longer than others, and consist of random battles and chests. There are sometimes gimmicks like door puzzles, but these are often very simplistic. Boss is always on last floor, with a save point before it.

I still like the game, but I wish it would spice things up. Perhaps things change after a while.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Been playing it a bit.

This game is da balls. Best jarpgo since FF9.
FF9 is actually the one game I'd compare it too.

Combat seems a little simple at the moment but it looks like it's picking up.

I was expecting to switch to jap language, but now I'm playing with english voices because they're so nerdy.
So is Bravely Default slow as hell and has enormous loading times? :troll:

Last edited:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, any Konclusive Kodex Konsensus on Bravely Default? Zed opinion paints it as glowing, but I'd appreciate something more before I shell out x3 more money than I am used to paying for PC games...

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, any Konclusive Kodex Konsensus on Bravely Default? Zed opinion paints it as glowing, but I'd appreciate something more before I shell out x3 more money than I am used to paying for PC games...

I won't be able to play it until February at least, but it's a FF game with a job system, close in atmosphere to FF9, and a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes of Light, the general internet consensus being that it does everything better or at least on par with the latter. Honestly, that tells you everything you need to know about this game to make a decision. :P The rest depends on how much money you're willing to pay for such a game.

(Personally I'm going to be importing it from the US.)

Mrowak

Arcane

I won't be able to play it until February at least, but it's a FF game with a job system, close in atmosphere to FF9, and a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes of Light, the general internet consensus being that it does everything better or at least on par with the latter. Honestly, that tells you everything you need to know about this game to make a decision. :P The rest depends on how much money you're willing to pay for such a game.

(Personally I'm going to be importing it from the US.)

Aren't you established in Europe CB (Austria, I thought)? Why ship it from US?

Anyway, the reason I am hasitating is that fights are said to be super easy.

Crooked Bee

Patron

So, it's similar to all other Final Fantasy games in that regard? :P

Besides, boss fights are supposed to be good and I believe (though can't say for sure) that there's supposed to be an additional challenge dungeon like 4 Heroes of Light and every other FF game had.

I bought a US 3DS while staying in the US in the summer -- since unfortunately it's console locked, the US tends to get more releases than Europe. (Such as SMT IV, for example.)

Mrowak

Arcane

So, it's similar to all other Final Fantasy games in that regard? :P

Yeah, you are right. I guess I got spoiled by Fire Emblem.

I'll pick it up this month. This or Ni no Kuni DS.

I bought a US 3DS while staying in the US in the summer -- since unfortunately it's console locked, the US tends to get more releases than Europe. (Such as SMT IV, for example.)

Seriously, the way Nintendo operates I keep wondering how they stay afloat.

Repressed Homosexual
Men can appreciate japanese games with good gameplay or design elements, but they can't get giddy and excited about fruity japanese games like teenage girls at a One Direction concert.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
every chapter of the game after 4 (so 5 and onwards) reboots the world. no new content onward, just repeat what you've already done. some variations for boss-fights, but essentially the same shit you've seen before.

laziest shit I've ever seen.

not even sure I'll finish the game now.

Arcks

Educated
every chapter of the game after 4 (so 5 and onwards) reboots the world. no new content onward, just repeat what you've already done. some variations for boss-fights, but essentially the same shit you've seen before.

laziest shit I've ever seen.

not even sure I'll finish the game now.

You can get the normal ending after the first (or second) reboot by destroying the crystal. Just keep tapping that X even after airy tells you to stop. Game kinda obviously tells you that. Of course, as a great fuck you, you only get true ending IF you keep waking up the crystals for a while. Doesn't really take that long, hour or two since you only need to wake up 4 crystals each time, but still kinda fuck you from developers after constantly telling you not to keep following orders brainlessly.
It's still kinda fitting, I guess. Lazy, but fitting.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Game kinda obviously tells you that.
How so? I "skipped" a lot of dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom