Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Bravely Default

Felix

Arcane
what's so awkward about buying games? or anything? it's just a transaction, you guys are weird.
The babes doing the checkout are more likely to notice the Cheetoh stains on your Mass Effect shirt and will never have sex with you after this.

Bitches should feel honored if I let them suck my cock, let alone sex.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, has anyone played the JP version? Is it any good?

According to Wikipedia the EU version actually comes out in December already, whereas the US version only releases in 2014. A rare case of EU getting the game earlier than the US, if so. I have the US 3DS tho'. :(

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
they are about to add microtransactions mechanic to the game
l_5261078de5a64.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/2...econd-feature-added-help-players-finish-game/

Shhhhh... let us have our dream.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
looks like a generic 'default' JRPG
Even has a fire/earth/water/air magic system, emo cutscenes, on rails gameplay...

But if a game has multiple endings then it has to be good. Right? RIGHT?!!

In seriousness, we'll see. JRPGs have a weird quality where sometimes even the most generic-looking BS is somehow more than the sum of its parts (at least for some people).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, 4 Heroes of Light was pretty good :M

If you dislike JRPGs though, then this game probably isn't meant for you anyway.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Did that faggot in the video seriously just call that typical JRPG combat "revolutionary" and "brand new to the RPG genre"?
:nocountryforshitposters:

LeJosh

Savant
It's good fun, you can change the encounter rate to 0 or 100% more enemies.

It has the standard difficulty modes (e/m/h), you can also turn off XP/JP/gold, for whatever weird challenge you can dream of.

There are 24 jobs to choose from and you can choose sub-abilities from other jobs, 1 secondary choice and 4 support abilities.

Hard mode is actually quite challenging and if you go south from the starting village to a dungeon, you'll get skull fucked/1 shotted by the mobs in there.

Starting jobs are: -

Freelancer
Knight
Black Mage
White Mage
Red Mage
Ninja
Performer
Valkyrie
Swordmaster (samurai, basically)

The rest are locked, the demo I have is actually a different game from the official game apparently and it's to boost your game with items and gold as you can transfer it over.

There is also a "restore a village" feature which you build shops and level them up over time (more workers reduces time and you get more workers using streetpass)

The brave, default systems are interesting. It can make the starting fights a cake walk and you get bonuses to XP/JP based on how well you did in the fight. (not getting hit, finish the fight in 1 round etc.)

Each job have rankings for weapons from E to S, fairly self explanatory, Armor has ranks too.

My biggest gripe is collect 5 items for me "quests." However, that could only be in the demo based on the tutorial introduction.

Yeah, it has cutesy-wootsy art style but the environments are simply stunning and even better with 3D turned on, surprisingly.

Last edited:

grudgebringer

Actually I've tried to play on normal difficulty and just right after the beginning as I left the city and went to a small cave on the west side, I got wiped out by a group of archer goblins. Further naive attempt on visiting southern dungeon results in even more faster and ridiculous death. Lol I certainly didn't expect that hard stuff in demo. So I have to run around the city to encounter some random fights with wildcats and snakes just to gain more cash on better equipment and XP.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeJosh

Savant
Really? Good to know, as I just stick my games on hardest available difficulty no matter what.

TigerKnee

Arcane
This is kind of premature considering we haven't received the first (hint hint) game in English yet...

But a sequel to the game is already in the works, it seems.

zDyiJTp.jpg

Sadly the sequel is dumbed down; apparently even the Japanese can't play games longer than 20 hours anymore.

grudgebringer

Another ambitious trailer. I really liked that JP dubs remained in western version.

Sadly the sequel is dumbed down; apparently even the Japanese can't play games longer than 20 hours anymore.
I thought that there are micro transactions to cater that crowd?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks a bit like Final Fantasy 9. Shoddy but cute interpretation of European fantasy with classic jap airship stuff.
This is the first interesting thing I've seen from Square in a long time.

My brother has a 3DS. Maybe I can borrow it from him. Hmm...

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I was considering buying this game - I have soft spot for this kind of art style. And the title - "Bravely Default" (ブレイブリーデフォルト). Motherfucker! How can you come up with a title like that? Gotta love the Japanese for picking two words at random and rolling with it. :troll:

grudgebringer

No one will give a damn about the title, if the game appears to be real good.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can't believe I just ordered a 3DS xl and this.
I don't even have much money.
Oh well. Gonna get my JAP on.

grudgebringer

:lol: congrats. now be prepared to abandon your PC rig, you won't need it for games anymore lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom