Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

MisterStone

Arcane
Amasius said:
Darklands.jpg

MicroProse FTW.

Medeival German Mullets FTW! I was going to post that one, but instead I'll post another favorite of mine. In the spirit of the 1980s, this one has a nice air-brushed ninja theme!:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/apple...elestial-harmony/cover-art/gameCoverId,40015/

Honestly, that couldn't really be called a "true" RPG, but there is no real class to which it belongs. The in-game artwork for that game was really nice, too... the author chose the tiles directly from medieval Chinese paintings, etc. Here's an example... don't laugh, it looks kind of funny, but it worked pretty well:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/moebius-the-orb-of-celestial-harmony/screenshots/gameShotId,88826/

*sigh* No one has a good screenshot of the tile-based world map. The one I posted up there is OK, but you can't see a whole lot. Oh well...

Fez

Erudite
The mullet guy looks like he is about to teabag someone.

franc kaos

Liturgist

MisterStone

Arcane
Fez said:
The mullet guy looks like he is about to teabag someone.

He bears a strong resemblance to J.C. Van Damme too... which only makes the whole teabagging thing seem more likely.

Just out of curiosity, which decade has the best box art, and which has the worst? I'm thinking probably both honours [sic] go to the 1980s.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Intellivision, establishing RPG console excellence for decades after. Graphics have gotten better, but they're still just as shallow as this dungeon hack. They raised the bar high they did.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
war1box.jpg

Edit : Oops. I just looked at my shelf of boxed games, and I liked this one best. Of course it's not an RPG. Chastize me all you want, I'm stupid. After confining myself to RPG's, I'd have to say this one :

Betrayal_at_Krondor6.jpg

Gorath is just drawn cool as fuck here, with the suave white moustache.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Cthulho, guess that was for me... So what is different in the Sega version? Since from the cover it seems about the same (a dark future, guns, post-punk, etc)

Surgey

Scholar
Not to mention the Sega version was better because it wasn't insanely difficult and requiring grinding, and there were no melee weapons you could use in the SNES version. But plenty of enemies used them. HAVE FUN.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anvil of Dawn is one of my favorite oldies because of the art associated with it.
196611_41696_front.jpg

And say what you will about Diablo II, but the art covers were superb. Especially the expansion.
1069119777-00.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
563479_29053_front.jpg

Includes "Game Save" feature BITCHES.

I also like the Icewind Dale (original) box a lot but somebody already posted that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
albion-box1.jpg

EDIT: Not exactly "favourite", but it's quite nice and obscure enough so people may have not seen it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom