Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

Atrokkus

Erudite
This boxart is pretty damn cool as well, though the Xbox header ruins it

360box.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
The Akalabeth cover really reminds you what a stupid hick pseudonym "Lord British" is.

Edit - Also, my pick is Seven Cities of Gold. You could Google the cover, which will show the front art (which is a period painting), but the game actually came in this record album package and it had a neat photograph of the Buntens on the back, completely imitative of a faux-naturalistic Rolling Stone photograph of a rock band. I loved it.

Dagon

Scholar
I won't be original perhaps, but this one is definetly the best :
fallout.jpg

Although game sucked the cover was pretty good:
1150449215-00.jpg

I also liked the cover of DK (mix of RPG, RTS and hmm SimDungeon ;) )

26135.jpg

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
I usually throw boxes away now, but back in the day you need to keep it around to hold the dozens of 5 and 1/4s. (Am I dating myself?)

This one is burned in my memory:
256px-Bard%27s_Tale_Box_Cover.jpg

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
The Buck Rogers cover reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D, which in turn reminds of Doom. So what's so fucking special about it?

Also, if so many of you think Oblivion has a good cover then why don't you also post Gothic 3? They are almost identical.

PS; Greyhawk has some good covers too

T1-4ToEECover.jpg

420px-The_Temple_of_Elememtal_Evil_%28CRPG%29.jpg

And of course the cover that has given nerds world wide +1 to Right Hand Strength:

224-silverfall-box.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
I generally like the minimalistic FF covers but FF XI cover Metallius posted is terrific. TOEE PC cover is also awesome.

As far as RPGs go, beside Daggerfall, there is Legends of Istanbul - Tulip Warriors and the original System Shock

cover1b.jpg

It's so fucking cool, the bold and threatening raw feeling it gives is almost unmatched in my opinion.

I also absolutely love the IWD covers. Those do so much better what Oblivion cover is supposed to do as far as minimalism goes. That also includes some of the two-game packs of IWD:

Icewind-dale-cover.jpg

986796149-00.jpg

1091202298-00.jpg

Icewind_dale_II_box_shot_211.jpg

As for non-RPGs.. well there are just too many.

Romanian Dude said:
The Buck Rogers cover reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D, which in turn reminds of Doom. So what's so fucking special about it?

For me it would be the other way around, when you consider it was released before those two games. [at least I think it was?]

I'm a big fan of pulp science fiction (used to read reprints of EC Comics when I was a kid, among other things), and while the cover artwork's in a different visual style, it has the same feel of pulp sci-fi.

Drakron

Arcane
Funny how some box art was "lifted" from other products.

Example, the "curse of azura bounds" is the same as the cover of the novel.

crufty

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom