Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

But this is Gearbox, the firm headed by the ex-professional con man Pitchford. So fuck me for being stupid and paying 15 bucks for this shit.

Apparently it isn't. I was reading reviews and impressions and ran into this

snackbargames said:
[...] Despite the setbacks and change in developers (The Pre-Sequel! is a 2K Australia joint, not Gearbox) [...]

Wikipedia said:
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! is a first-person shooter video game developed by 2K Australia, with assistance from Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games.

Wasn't aware of that. I wonder if by assisted they mean actual help or just supervision.

I like the final score on that review, btw.

Pros: Great new action skills, O2 kits provide interesting effects, Grinder is a great alternative for vendor trash
Cons: Everything feels slow, level design leads to inadvertent deaths, technical issues abound
Score: 4/5

"It's mostly shit. Highly recommended"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, this was outsourced to 2K Penal Colony. But Anthony Burch was still the leader writer.

Astral Rag

Arcane
That Borderlands UI
496B9DE86C6DE994B68A4A1A6AE8D5607F07DE3F

vomit-2113.gif

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I never experienced it, therefore the issue doesn't exist and everyone who had it is a noob and/or using a shitty laptop with integrated GPU. Clearly. :smug:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does this one still have the same basic 4 classes just giving them different names for the default character or do they have new classes? Like B2 had basically the same guys by different names except they changed the berserker to gunzerker to focus on guns because the berserker stuff was basically retarded in a FPS.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've only casually glanced at their talents but they seem fairly different.

Gerrard

Arcane
Instead they had the ninja which was also retarded in an FPS and they couldn't even be bothered to have the melee weapon as a part of your gear because GEARBOX FUCKING SUCKS.

baturinsky

Arcane
Instead they had the ninja which was also retarded in an FPS and they couldn't even be bothered to have the melee weapon as a part of your gear because GEARBOX FUCKING SUCKS.
You get a light sabre as a reward for one Star Wars meming quest. Technically it's energy gun with extremely short range, but huge DPS.
Does this one still have the same basic 4 classes just giving them different names for the default character or do they have new classes? Like B2 had basically the same guys by different names except they changed the berserker to gunzerker to focus on guns because the berserker stuff was basically retarded in a FPS.
They shuffle parts of classes around. Athena/Nisha are much like Zero/Maya, but with sniping and healing switched around. So now Nisha is better sniping Zero, Athena is better melee Zero, but of cause they are both worse then Maya.

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

I never experienced it, therefore the issue doesn't exist and everyone who had it is a noob and/or using a shitty laptop with integrated GPU. Clearly. :smug:
This. Never had FPS drop from Borderlands inventories, but I did constantly have issues with the Borderlands 2 interface missing mouse clicks/losing the mousewheel/other shenanigans. They never did completely fix it. Much like Skyrim to this day still occasionally clicks the wrong dialog option if you dare to use the mouse for it.

Also have super little interest in picking this up after they ruined Borderlands 2. I played the absolute fuck out of Borderlands 1, it was up there in my "Laid back loot whoring clicker" games, but for 2 they decided it would be a good idea to dramatically reduce the quality/frequency of rare loot. So instead of regularly finding oranges with unique abilities or firing patterns and shit I found exactly 0 orange guns in like 60 hours played. Just completely ruined it for me. I can ignore all the stupid writing and can tune out the constant dialog nattering on, and they (Mostly) improved the enemy variety and behavior, but killing the loot killed the game itself for me. Kept playing thinking maybe I was just unlucky and the good loot was gonna start happening any time now but it never did.

I ran through the base game and all the DLCs on both difficulties with 3 classes for Borderlands 1 (Fair amount of that being a pirated copy before I picked the whole shebang up on Steam). I didn't finish the second playthrough even once in Borderlands 2 and didn't even finish playing all the DLCs the first time through.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, the rare drops were a very sad joke in BL2. Interestingly enough, some people actually went and made a work-around to it, basically a CheatEngine table that lets you modify the drop frequency/quality. If you have any idea what BL1 drop rates were like, you could easily replicate it with that. Or with whatever you feel being reasonable.

baturinsky

Arcane
Afaik, in B1 rares are dropping from everything, while in B2 you have to farm specific bosses/subbosses for them. I even have a special Farmer Maya build for that that lets you run very fast, moving from spawn to boss to boss and kill them in rapid succession.

About BPS - ice element oz is awesome, especially with Athena and light saber. Smash into the middle of the mob, cut everybody down before they recover/unthaw.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This. Never had FPS drop from Borderlands inventories, but I did constantly have issues with the Borderlands 2 interface missing mouse clicks/losing the mousewheel/other shenanigans. They never did completely fix it. Much like Skyrim to this day still occasionally clicks the wrong dialog option if you dare to use the mouse for it.

Also have super little interest in picking this up after they ruined Borderlands 2. I played the absolute fuck out of Borderlands 1, it was up there in my "Laid back loot whoring clicker" games, but for 2 they decided it would be a good idea to dramatically reduce the quality/frequency of rare loot. So instead of regularly finding oranges with unique abilities or firing patterns and shit I found exactly 0 orange guns in like 60 hours played. Just completely ruined it for me. I can ignore all the stupid writing and can tune out the constant dialog nattering on, and they (Mostly) improved the enemy variety and behavior, but killing the loot killed the game itself for me. Kept playing thinking maybe I was just unlucky and the good loot was gonna start happening any time now but it never did.

I ran through the base game and all the DLCs on both difficulties with 3 classes for Borderlands 1 (Fair amount of that being a pirated copy before I picked the whole shebang up on Steam). I didn't finish the second playthrough even once in Borderlands 2 and didn't even finish playing all the DLCs the first time through.

That's exactly what I was thinking after trying to enjoy BL2 as much as the first part. The new and old classes were cool in the beginning, but later in the game I didn't feel like I was getting better with all new skills, bigger shield/health and playing constantly with someone else to back me up. I don't remember spending so much time down and being revived constantly by others. Usually it's just a group of enemies blowing you within a couple of seconds. You can crawl through the game, but it's painful and boring experience. As for the shitty drops rate - yeah, you can change them in cheat engine to more reasonable values (I don't remember exact numbers of the vanilla one, but they were a joke, I couldn't get a one orange drop after some 40 hours). But when you do that, you will learn how Gearbox has butchered the most important thing in their game, aka itemization and variety of weapons.

I remember playing with BL weapon editor and had some hillarious weapons in result. Even the ones that made into the game were cool, had diffrent effects, some unique abilities, and most importantly those weapons were reallly good and gave you an upper hand. Not only they've streamlined this, but put something horrible, aka "consume x ammo". If you didn't unlock to maximum the ammo amounts that you can take you were constantly running out of ammo. The hp bloat on bosses in the second playthrough were the cherry on that big stinking cake. Not even nice co-op could save BL2 for me. I was so burnt out that I wasn't even thinking about buying DLC's.

Judging by the ptb copy+tunngle experience it didn't get better. Same shit, just diffrent place, more cringe worthy quests (if anyone could do some good things to the series, it would be Volition with their silly humour), drops and chests are usually garbage. Only some early rewards (like laser from Torque) and some bosses will give you interesting items. I'll play it once and that's it.

Angthoron

Arcane
As for the shitty drops rate - yeah, you can change them in cheat engine to more reasonable values (I don't remember exact numbers of the vanilla one, but they were a joke, I couldn't get a one orange drop after some 40 hours). But when you do that, you will learn how Gearbox has butchered the most important thing in their game, aka itemization and variety of weapons.
This. So much this. Plus the rather shallow pool of oranges. A lot of the better ones seem to work best for the Mechanomancer class (or at least I assume so, the shotguns seemed genuinely neat), but ARs are complete shit (or ARE there orange ARs, I'm not even sure), and the rest except RLs is fairly generic. Endless ammo pistol is cool though, this I'll say.

(if anyone could do some good things to the series, it would be Volition with their silly humour)
Damn, I'd want to see that. Oh well, there's Gat out of Hell.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
To enjoy Borderlands, play like it's an FPS and not an ARPG. Don't "farm" anything, just use the guns you find while solving missions. Enemies drop quickly enough anyway when you shoot them in the head.

If you find that enemies take too long to kill without "legendary" gear, turn down the difficulty level from whatever retarded setting you put it on.

toroid

Arcane
To enjoy Borderlands, play like it's an FPS and not an ARPG. Don't "farm" anything, just use the guns you find while solving missions. Enemies drop quickly enough anyway when you shoot them in the head.

If you find that enemies take too long to kill without "legendary" gear, turn down the difficulty level from whatever retarded setting you put it on.

But it's a slow shitty FPS. The only good thing it has going for it is the loot whoring - but they fucked that part up by making the good loot never drop. Overall progression is artificially slow as well, complementing the shit-tier loot mechanics.
(Talking about BL2; BL1 was less retarded.)

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Yeah, the rare drops were a very sad joke in BL2. Interestingly enough, some people actually went and made a work-around to it, basically a CheatEngine table that lets you modify the drop frequency/quality. If you have any idea what BL1 drop rates were like, you could easily replicate it with that. Or with whatever you feel being reasonable.

What is this engine, and what are the loot rates for BL1? I'm thinking about playing BL2 again soon.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

There's no changeable difficulty setting, when you finish normal campaign you can do the same shit all over again, much like Diablo 2. Normal mode is essentially babbymode that you can finish without even trying and the later two are almost constant assrape unless you go with the cookie-cutter builds.

toroid

Arcane

What is this engine, and what are the loot rates for BL1? I'm thinking about playing BL2 again soon.

White - 1%
Green - 1%
Blue/Unique - 3%
Purple/E-tech - 5%
Seraph - 6%
Legendary - 15%
Pearlescent - 69%

Might I suggest this loot table? Should knock a couple hundred hours off of your playtime..

Angthoron

Arcane

No idea about the loot rates, but otherwise, it's a pretty neat and free memory editor with scripting etc capabilities.

http://www.cheatengine.org/

Think the table with loot rates should be in this thread, but if not, just google "Borderlands 2 Cheat Engine loot" or something like that, should give you what you need.
http://www.forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=557381

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

There's no changeable difficulty setting, when you finish normal campaign you can do the same shit all over again, much like Diablo 2. Normal mode is essentially babbymode that you can finish without even trying and the later two are almost constant assrape unless you go with the cookie-cutter builds.
So in other words, the normal mode is the actual game, while the second 2 are for sperglords with too much free time?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Pretty much. And it's not like there's some exclusive new content in the higher difficulty modes, you just see bigger numbers.

Gerrard

Arcane
ITT updating my codexers_with_shit_taste_in_games.txt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom