Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Book on the Making of Jagged Alliance 2 Published, Excerpt Available

Gozma

Arcane
Committed to having a printed-on-demand paperback option -> no pics

Morkar Left

I guess he will make most of the money with ebooks anyways. Furmost the book is for collectors and fanboys and these will probably look for a shiny appearance anyway. If can't deliver that, than better left the hardcovers behind and go all for the ebooks imho.

Gozma

Arcane
Eh if it were only e-books people would be like, "hey this is just a fucking pdf, an internet good and thus unfitting for compensation with real money"

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Committed to having a printed-on-demand paperback option -> no pics
Not true. Both Amazon's Createspace and IngramSpark print-on-demand and make no disticntion between text and black-and-white pictures. Obviously having them colored would be better, but at least it would be something.

I haven't played as many JRPGs as I have Western, but I know 90's era FF, Vagrant Story, Castlevania: SOTN, Dark Souls and some others have interactive & complex enough TTRPG systems similar to western RPGs that allow for strategy, C&C and more involving gameplay. Fantastic stuff and worthy of halls of fame. So no drugs, I just don't like RPGs that may as well cut the BS mindless battles and be point & click games instead.
Again, you just don't like JRPGs, you are playing them looking for things that WRPGs do better. Is like going "Wizardry 1-6 sucks, Skyrim has much better side-quests and a open world!".

And I call bullshit on the Final Fantasy games, they all fit the same criticism you made towards CT.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So is there anything about the Barkmore reference in the book? :)

Declinator

Arbiter
Bought, downloaded, and read most of it. Interesting read but does not go all that deep.

Of limited interest to programmers looking for insights as "The Code" part is largely parts of the code (AI mostly) explained for the code illiterate. Might get something out of it but delving into the source code will most certainly be more fruitful.

Goes deeper on the design level and offers explanations for certain decisions including why they went TB instead of RT. Also gets into the problems originating from not being "data-driven" and other mildly amusing anecdotes and interviews.

Overall worth a read at least for the JA2 aficionados but don't expect to get your mind blown.

So is there anything about the Barkmore reference in the book? :)

No mention of Barkmore or Blakemore for that matter.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
And I call bullshit on the Final Fantasy games, they all fit the same criticism you made towards CT.

False. Level and overworld design is more open. Going off to explore can reward you with unique equipment off the main plot path, and sometimes new summons or characters for your party. You hold greater influence over RPG systems, namely attributes, and in some of them skills also.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Oh look I made a mistake, didn't preview my post beforehand and cannot edit it so therefore I am possibly retarded. Fucking Codex admins.

Morkar Left

Another Jagged Alliance thread spoiled by nerds raving over Final Fantasy.

*Being awesome*

So what's the final verdict? Is the book worth reading? And how much of the book is about the original Jagged Alliance - the part from 13 — 33? How much of the book is straight up interviews?

Go with what Declinator said, I hadn't the time to read it. Interviews are mostly citations within the text from what I saw.

Declinator

Arbiter
how much of the book is about the original Jagged Alliance - the part from 13 — 33?
Yes, that part is largely about JA1. There is quite a bit about X-COM too (comparisons to JA1 and how it affected the market.) JA1 is referenced later too but the rest of the book deals with JA2 mostly.

That chapter, "Genesis of Jagged Alliance", also concentrates a lot on the production side of things (who they hired, voice-acting, the inception of Sir-Tech Canada etc.)

How much of the book is straight up interviews?

I'd say about every third page has a quote from someone. There is never a back-and-forth interview but just snippets of pertinent answers.

Interviewees that I remember:
-Ian and Linda Currie (designers)
-Shaun Lyng (designer)
-Camfield (programmer)
-Meduna (programmer)
-Robert Sirotek

One of the more interesting things in the book was how these people became different during the time period the book covers (e.g. Meduna was a rookie when JA1 was being developed but becomes this veteran programmer fixing the blunders of others during JA2's development.)

Worth reading as I said earlier.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Eh if it were only e-books people would be like, "hey this is just a fucking pdf, an internet good and thus unfitting for compensation with real money"

someone send me their copy of the pdf plox? :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom