Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bombshell - isometric shooter starring that cut character from Duke Nukem Forever

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
http://opencritic.com/game/2063/bombshell

LGk1HnI.gif

Playing Bombshell is like a horrible online date. They had a great profile and pictures, but as soon as you sit down with them, you realize that there’s nothing beneath the surface except crazy.

:d1p:

Renevent

Cipher
I'm hoping it's fun in the same way something like Shadowgrounds is. Sounds like they share a lot features TBH (no real stats/everything done via upgrades/etc).
Difference being you could grab Shadowgrounds for like... a buck. This is $30...

Wow, it's actually $35 but $32 with promo discount. I could have gotten Fallout 4 for that last week.

It wasn't a buck when it was released. $30 is inconsequential amount for me, YMMV of course, value being a subjective thing and all. I haven't picked it up yet though, still at work so waiting for some more reviews to come in.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm hoping it's fun in the same way something like Shadowgrounds is. Sounds like they share a lot features TBH (no real stats/everything done via upgrades/etc).
Difference being you could grab Shadowgrounds for like... a buck. This is $30...

Wow, it's actually $35 but $32 with promo discount. I could have gotten Fallout 4 for that last week.

It wasn't a buck when it was released. $30 is inconsequential amount for me, YMMV of course, value being a subjective thing and all. I haven't picked it up yet though, still at work so waiting for some more reviews to come in.
It's not that $30 is a lot to pay for a game, it's that it's a lot to pay for a shitty game that will be in a bundle in six months time. Plenty of other games I can buy at $30 like Dragon's Dogma.

Obviously you like arpgs, so, have you bought/played:

Torchlights?
Grim Dawn?
Derpablo 3+expac?

All strike me as much better choices.

Renevent

Cipher

It's not that $30 is a lot to pay for a game, it's that it's a lot to pay for a shitty game that will be in a bundle in six months time. Plenty of other games I can buy at $30 like Dragon's Dogma.

Just finished Dragon's Dogma, fun game (though with some annoyances). That being said, there's nothing out I want atm, and I may or may not find Bombshell shitty. If it provides a weekend of fun, then that was a good $30 spent.

To answer your question, yeah, it's among my favorite genres, and yeah, played all of them. Torchlight was fun a couple times through but never grabbed me they way something like D2 did. Grim Dawn is the shit, I am def playing that on and off (have two characters in ultimate). I'm kinda waiting for the release patch to spend more time with it though.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

So, this turned out to be exactly the sort of artlessly made, painfully un-fun action game one would expect from Interceptor given their previous effort.

Gotta love how LGR -honestly- tries to keep his positive attitude even when dealing with something like this tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

The release for the Rise of the Triad remake was awful as well, but after some patches it's acceptable. It seems the flaws go deeper this time around though...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The problem with this game is that's it's extremely shallow and overpriced compared to alternatives. They try to bill it as an arpg but it doesn't really have any arpg elements aside from leveling and a few weapon upgrades.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The release for the Rise of the Triad remake was awful as well, but after some patches it's acceptable. It seems the flaws go deeper this time around though...

It may be less buggy but it's still a fucking awful game and an insult to the original Rise of the Triad.

orcinator

Liturgist
I'm giving it a try because I like punk gurrlz ("shareware" version of course)

Think I encountered a glitch on the first loading screen when it told me to press space to continue but didn't until I mashed some buttons.

This is going to be... something (I'll update it as I play)

There's a regenerating shield, coupled with enemy waves coming in groups of 1-3 makes fights extremely exciting, even more with the enemy projectiles being very fast but not doing much damage.

Oh a turret sequence in the first few minutes, that a good sign

And FPS went up by 40 once I exited the rain.
She uses the revolver and a blade thing in executions (do em for bonus XP yaaaaay) but I have no idea how to use them normally and there is no listing of a melee button in the controls, unless I have to find them first (oh, the sword is an ability that gets unlocked later).

You can fall off edges so it's not that casual. So can enemies and they're extremely good at it.

You can carry a large number of medkits, I was at 47 before the first boss and I think you were required to do some jumping to avoid the damage but the perspective sucked and I just tanked it.

Shelley is CUTE, CUTE!

Rather annoying though as she says the same one liners over and over and over again (even when you start fighting zombie things in the second part of the game she still calls them aliens). Would still marry tho.

Note, there seem to be only two new zombie enemies, you still fight the same aliens with guns but now in large groups so they can get through your shield very fast if you stand still but are still near impossible to die to since one can just run away and spam healthpacks. Also the zombies are probably the least threatening enemy in the game, and not just because their AI breaks and doesn't even bother attacking you half the time (instead of walking slowly and using a short ranged tentacle attack that does no damage).

This is enough for today.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
just played it for an hour

you ask me this is just a typical top-down shooter, nothing more, nothing less

that pcgaemer review giving it 30/100 is simply disingenuous as fuck

not to mention its plenty full of factual mistakes like there being 'no dodging'

also lol at the constant arpg mentions - who the fuck would call this an arpg or compare it to torchlight or whatever? compare it to alien shooter or something FFS you cretin

also bonus:

As I click-click-click my way through rooms of aliens, she weighs in after every kill. “My car for your life,” she tells a corpse. I don’t have any idea what her car has to do with any of this—last I saw, it was parked at the front gate of the White House.

except that it gets exploded right after she parks it at the front gate of the white house

attention span level: gaeming journo

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
moar

Upon killing a mini-boss, she says “Yes, teacher, the dog ate my homework, so I killed the dog.” What dog? What homework? Please don’t kill dogs.

you get an assignment to go kill a big quadruped monster that ate a soldier carrying a databook

wot cud dis one-liner be referring to?????

attention span level: gaeming journo+++

Renevent

Cipher
I ended up grabbing Tower of Monsters on PS4 last night instead, but after reading some of your comments I might grab this as well sometime next week. Please keep updating your impressions def interested if you (by the end of the game) had fun and thought it was worth it.

orcinator

Liturgist
I ended up grabbing Tower of Monsters on PS4 last night instead, but after reading some of your comments I might grab this as well sometime next week. Please keep updating your impressions def interested if you (by the end of the game) had fun and thought it was worth it.

If Bombshell doesn't make you feel funny in your underwear whenever you look at her, don't bother, the game is awful when it comes to everything else.

If she does make you feel funny THEN BACK OFF SHE'S MINE!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
also lol at the constant arpg mentions - who the fuck would call this an arpg or compare it to torchlight or whatever? compare it to alien shooter or something FFS you cretin

Uh... it's the developers who marketed it as an arpg.

Title:Bombshell
Genre:Action,Adventure,RPG
Developer:Interceptor Entertainment
Publisher:3D Realms

Bombshell is an Action Role-Playing game in which bomb disposal technician turned mercenary for hire, Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison must strong-arm her way across 4 planets in an Unreal Engine-powered galactic adventure to rescue the president (and humanity) from an apocalyptic alien threat.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's brainless marketing and them being grossly out of touch with current game prices. Grim Dawn is $25, vanilla Diablo 3 is $20, Torchlights are dirt cheap... and those are all actually arpgs. Isometric shooters are generally cheaper. This is a $10 download title and I doubt they would be getting panned had they priced it appropriately. When you charge $30+ people expect a better product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom