Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bombshell - isometric shooter starring that cut character from Duke Nukem Forever

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-18-3d-realms-may-reclaim-the-rights-to-duke-nukem-report

3D Realms may reclaim the rights to Duke Nukem - report
Cancelled Mass Destruction screenshot leaked, Bombshell won't be affected.

Duke Nukem 3D developer 3D Realms may be reclaiming the rights to its lost IP, according to some court documents.

jpg

Previously, 3D Realms sold the Duke Nukem IP to Gearbox, who finished development on Duke Nukem Forever, then shipped it out to less than stellar reviews.

3D Realms was then purchased by Danish developer Interceptor, who teased a game called Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. Naturally, Gearbox wasn't having any of that, so it sued 3D Realms, who later admitted to being at fault and that the whole thing was just a misunderstanding.

Interceptor claimed that it never announced a Duke Nukem game, though it strongly hinted at one, and later revealed that it was working on a PC and PS4 isometric action game called Bombshell, which many believe was an altered version of Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction without its titular character. Bombshell's female heroine was later altered to wear something more sensible.

Now NeoGAF poster Mr. Tibbs has dug up court documents noting that 3D Realms and Interceptor have reached an agreement with Gearbox, suggesting the former Duke Nukem IP holder will re-purchase the rights to the series.

"The parties agree that the Seller may repurchase the Duke IP at a price equal to the Buy-Back," the document said, upon noting that an alternate dispute resolution had been reached.

As reported by GamesIndustry, the relevant parties have 30 days to finalise the terms of the settlement.

Furthermore, the court documents contain images of what Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction looked like. Here's the only in-game picture featuring Mr. Nukem:

jpg

When pressed for comment, Interceptor told Eurogamer that it won't discuss the lawsuit, but it could confirm that Bombshell won't be turned into a Duke Nukem game.

"Bombshell will never become something else," said Interceptor Entertainment CEO Frederik Schreiber in an email exchange with Eurogamer. "We're extremely proud of what we have accomplished with Bombshell so far, and are 110 per cent committed to the game and the universe we have created around her."

We've asked Gearbox for comment, but have yet to hear back.

Instead of spending unnecessary resources on a Bombshell reskin, it would seem more obvious that they want to finally publish that DN3D remake, which got cancelled at the very last minute back then. Why did they not ask about that? These guys either have 0 memory or do 0 research, probably both.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
1080p! 60FPS!

What the fuck, how did it come to be that these are considered highlights, marketing points of a fucking game? Too many manipulated sheep in the market, too many shitheads in the industry doing the manipulation.

Make an interesting & engaging game first, sell me the concept, promote its uniqueness, show off its innovations and perhaps then I'll hope for good performance and HD graphics. Personally I've never played a likable game where I felt low pixel count and reasonably low FPS was a problem, because they never were problems for good quality games.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Jumping jebus on a pogostick this game still looks hilariously archaic. The execution at 0:37 would have looked mediocre in 2000, that lack of shadows and those animations :lol:

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Eh, those visuals are extremely off-putting. Game looks messy and somehow over-detailed plus really oversaturated at times (almost like they are using one of those particularly crappy SweetFX presets some folks just love to put on every fucking game). Can't imagine playing a chaotic top-down shooter that looks like that without getting a massive headache.

Stompa

Arcane
Outside of dem weapon names (P.M.S. rocket launcher in a game like this, aw lawd), doesn't look that exciting. Gameplay has the possibility to be fast with those blinks she has, but that would depend entirely on the amount of enemies on the screen, and that number wasn't higher than 5 in the video. Sound-wise everything is pissweak, from the music to voiceacting to fucking weapon sounds. When you have something called "Maxigun" sound less threatening than a common SMG, you've got yourself a problem. Graphics are okay I guess, love the little explosion skulls, but nothing stands out much apart from them.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bleah. I still say their biggest fuckup was in not giving the title character a personality. I can support mediocre Duke Nukem games on the strength of Duke's personality alone. They should have gone big with Bombshell's attitude. Ah well.

grudgebringer

Looks interesting. I might pick this up. The shaky screen will be the first thing to turn off, though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bleah. I still say their biggest fuckup was in not giving the title character a personality. I can support mediocre Duke Nukem games on the strength of Duke's personality alone. They should have gone big with Bombshell's attitude. Ah well.
A female alter ego to Duke, spouting ultrafeminist stuff, or a parody of oversexualized lines, or anything that a remotely-clever writer could come up with, would've been pretty fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Unwhoops: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-19-gearbox-and-3d-realms-settle-duke-nukem-lawsuit

Gearbox and 3D Realms settle Duke Nukem lawsuit
Gearbox retains rights to the franchise.

The battle for Duke Nukem is over, with Gearbox retaining the rights to the franchise.

Gearbox, maker of Borderlands, had been embroiled in a lawsuit with 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment over the Duke Nukem intellectual property.

Previously, 3D Realms sold Duke Nukem to Gearbox, who finished development on Duke Nukem Forever and released the game.

3D Realms was then purchased by Danish developer Interceptor, who teased a game called Duke Nukem Mass Destruction. Gearbox sued 3D Realms, who later revealed isometric action game Bombshell, which many believe was an altered version of Duke Nukem Mass Destruction without its titular character.

jpg

Duke Nukem Mass Destruction, the game that sparked Gearbox's lawsuit.

Now, in a joint statement issued by Gearbox, 3D Realms and Interceptor, the companies said they had "resolved their differences", and all litigation between them had ended.

Current 3D Realms boss Mike Nielsen said Interceptor has acquired a license to develop Duke Nukem Mass Destruction from 3D Realms in good faith.

"We never intended to cause any harm to Gearbox or Duke, which is why we immediately ceased development after Gearbox reached out," he said.

"To secure the future of Duke, 3D Realms has agreed with Gearbox that a single home serves the IP best. And as big Duke fans, we're excited to see what Gearbox has in store for the 'King.' As for our own games, we're eager to complete development of the 'Bombshell' game and get it in the hands of our fans."

Gearbox said it would keep the terms of its settlement confidential, but stressed it is "the full and rightful owner" of the Duke Nukem franchise.

So what's next for the troublesome Duke? At the Develop conference in July, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford said he wants to work on a new Duke Nukem game, aided by an outside developer.

Pitchford explained Gearbox had worked on concepts for a follow-up to Duke Nukem Forever, but getting the game made would likely require Gearbox to rope in extra development support from another studio.

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so people could experience Duke Nukem Forever," he explained when asked if another Duke Nukem title would be made. "That was, sort of, the toll to pay to give Duke Nukem a chance at a future.

"So yes. In fact, we've done some concept development. The challenge is that Gearbox is very busy. A faster way would be if the correct developer would become interested and we'd work with them."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
$40 for a 'deluxe' edition so I'm assuming $30 retail? For some shitty isometric download title? Yeah... good luck.

grudgebringer

At least for a spin-off you only need P-100 with 16Mb RAM or something like that.

Astral Rag

Arcane
$40 for a 'deluxe' edition so I'm assuming $30 retail? For some shitty isometric download title? Yeah... good luck.
35 actually :)

There is quite a bit going on in November from what I remember and I am a Turok fan I know all about over shadowing. Quake and 007 tried to over shadow Turok in lasting long, but Turok is actually the better game and it did really good on its own. I think Bomb-Shelly will be okay she is here to kick ass bottom line. I like the risks i wish listed bombshell to, a bit pricey though but as the man said it will be on sale to. Going to blow shit up with her I am more interested in the actual game rather then the build sorry.

lol, what kind of sick forum is that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom