Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bombshell - isometric shooter starring that cut character from Duke Nukem Forever

Be reasonable, Codex. The shift to a top down perspective is an inevitable feature of technological progression. They would have made Duke Nukem 3D as a top-down arpg all along, but the technology just wasn't available back then.

Eyeball

Arcane
They should get the Guys WHO wrote the Saints Row games to write the new DN game. Their brand of low-brow humour, outrageously retarded and over the top action and complete lack of seriousness would suit a DN reboot just fine.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will probably be awful, if it doesn't vaporize to begin with.

BUT - Duke is allowed to be in any kind of game he wants. It might even be fun.

I mean sure, I'd like a good crpg set in DN universe. But that's not gonna happen. Is that retarded quote about a non stripper/batman grimdark "new" Duke from the devs of this game or someone else?

DN Forever failed, I don't see how this can be good, with retarded ideas about turning Duke into a Mass Effect/Alien Shooter shitty clone...

deuxhero

Arcane
Hopefully this will end up badly for Gearbox like Bethesda suing Interplay (who got a good chunk of money from it) did. Gearbox really tops my "worst video company" list for their blatant criminal actions and seeing Rancid Pitchfork in tears couldn't be more delicious.

Sadly not likely though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

deuxhero

Arcane
Gearbox really tops my "worst video company" list for their blatant criminal actions
Wait, what?

How could you NOT hear of how Aliens: Colonial Marines went? Gearbox took the funding Sega gave them for the game, spent most of it on Borderlands 2, spent a small fraction of the money to outsource a product to Timegate Studios and the whole time produced completely fake (not even touched up, completely fake) demos and screenshots (as much to fool Sega as the public) that weren't related to the actual game in development.

Apparently Sega can't sue their asses because they suck at making contracts and Gearbox technically kinda vaugely did delver a "game" like the contract required. We had a pretty big thread on it and it was a fairly major story back when shit hit the fan.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/23/5438442/gearbox-lawsuit-3d-realms-interceptor-duke-nukem
Full Article
Gearbox sues 3D Realms, Interceptor over 'unauthorized use' of Duke Nukem
By Michael McWhertor on Feb 23, 2014 at 2:08a

Tweet
Duke Nukem Forever developer Gearbox Software filed suit against 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment this week over the two companies' use of the Duke Nukem intellectual property, alleging trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition and breach of contract.

The lawsuit stems from 3D Realms and Interceptor's "efforts to illegally exploit Gearbox's intellectual property rights in the Duke Nukem video game franchise," according to a complaint filed by Gearbox in a U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Texas.

At issue is a proposed new entry in the Duke Nukem franchise, Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. Described as "an isometric action role-playing game for PC and PlayStation 4, by Interceptor" on the game's Facebook page, Mass Destruction will "make unlawful use of Gearbox's IP," according to the complaint.

"Recently — and without consulting the Duke IP's actual owner, Gearbox — Interceptor announced its intent to develop a Duke Nukem game based upon the various characters, content and intellectual property owned by Gearbox," the complaint reads. "Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."

According to the complaint, Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction has a release date of Feb. 25, 2014. A teaser website, alloutofgum.com, is currently counting down to that date.

alloutofgum.jpg

On Feb. 13, Gearbox sent a cease and desist letter to 3D Realms CEO Scott Miller demanding it cease any and all use of the Duke IP in relation to Mass Destruction. According to exhibits filed alongside Gearbox's complaint, Miller and partner George Broussard signed a breach notice on Feb. 16, seemingly agreeing to cease use of the Duke Nukem property.

According to Gearbox's Steve Gibson, Miller and Broussard acknowledging that "admission of guilt" makes the continued promotion of Mass Destruction "all the more baffling."

Gearbox acquired the Duke Nukem intellectual property in February 2010. The acquisition was part of an asset purchase agreement tied to what Gearbox describes as a "bailout package."

"Desperate for help — and on the verge of even further ruin, now that [3D Realms] could no longer fund either development or litigation — 3DR effectively asked its friends at Gearbox for a life preserver," the complaint reads. "Specifically, 3DR asked Gearbox to rescue 3DR from the Take 2 litigation and, if possible, to complete the technological jigsaw puzzle of a videogame that 3DR had been calling [Duke Nukem Forever]. Because Gearbox had personal ties to 3DR, Take 2, and its fellow Duke Nukem fans, Gearbox agreed to help."

"We tried to avoid court. No one wants to do that crap again."

Though Gearbox now owns the Duke Nukem property, 3D Realms retains rights to re-release older franchise titles, like Duke Nukem 3D, which it has done through platforms like Steam and Apple's App Store.

3D Realms filed its own lawsuit against Gearbox Software last year, alleging it was owed more than $2 million in unpaid royalties and fees from Duke Nukem Forever. 3D Realms later dropped its suit, and Scott Miller apologized for bringing forth litigation.

"We regret the misunderstanding that instigated our lawsuit," Miller said at the time. "Now that we better understand — and appreciate — the actual nature of our business matters, we have voluntarily withdrawn our claims against Gearbox, with genuine apologies to Randy [Pitchford, president of Gearbox] for any damage that our lawsuit may have caused to the relationship."

Gearbox's Gibson said the current complaint against 3D Realms and Interceptor is an unfortunate "formality" as "we all know what the end result will be."

"We tried to avoid court," Gibson told Polygon. "No one wants to do that crap again."

Gearbox is seeking damages and injunctive relief for trademark infringement, unfair competition, copyright infringement and breach of contract.

Polygon has reached out to 3D Realms' George Broussard, Interceptor Entertainment and representatives for both companies seeking comment from the defendants.
:lol: unfuckingbelievable.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I sue you, you sue me.

The adult version of "I show you mine, you show me yours".

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's more like a retarded kid constantly banging his head on a wall.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I never thought 3DR was so retarded, but then I never got into Duke Nukem either (preferring e.g. Monolith's Blood)

Grim Monk

Arcane
Rumor: "Interceptor Entertainment" acquiring "3D Realms"/"Apogee Software".

From IGN:
Danish developer Interceptor Entertainment, the team behind the 2013 Rise of the Triad reboot, has acquired original Duke Nukem creators Apogee Software, Ltd/3D Realms, reports Denmark’s Børsen.

Interceptor CEO Frederik Schreiber confirmed the news on Twitter, adding the developer will be releasing an official statement tomorrow.

"Yes, we have indeed acquired Apogee/3D Realms. We will be giving an official statement tomorrow."

With this acquisition, we aim to strengthen 3D Realms and protect the legend that it is,” said Mike Nielsen, who has been identified by Børsen as the newly appointed CEO of Apogee Software and 3D Realms.
IGN Link:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/rise-of-the-triad-remake-developer-acquires-3d-realms
Link to Børsen Article [In Danish]:
http://borsen.dk/nyheder/it/artikel...er_computerspils-legenden_bag_duke_nukem.html
Frederik Schreiber Tweet:
https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/440172333353799682

"Interceptor Entertainment" are the guys who were originally going to make "a fan remake Duke Nukem 3D in UE3".
We had a thread about this back in 2010:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...emake-officially-given-the-green-light.50722/

Work on the remake was stopped in September 2011. (Supposedly due to Gearbox getting cold feet and pressuring them to stop.)
Instead they ended up doing the "Rise of the Triad" Remake/Reboot for Apogee, and are behind this current "Mass Destruction" project.

Interestingly Polygon reports that:

Terry Nagy, co-founder and chief creative officer of Apogee Software, LLC, told Polygon, "Interceptor Entertainment has not acquired Apogee Software, LLC nor any of our IP including Rise of the Triad."
Polygon Link:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/2/5462884/interceptor-entertainment-acquires-apogee-software-3d-realms

Which is in direct conflict with what "Interceptor" people said...

So I'm not sure who or what to believe at the moment.
Maybe that "official statement" that they are going to release tomorrow will shed a little more light on this matter...

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
I've been able to dig up some more News.
From the Escapist:
Apogee has clarified the matter, saying in a tweet that "for the record [Interceptor Entertainment] did not acquire [Apogee Software] or any of the assets associated with us including [Rise of the Triad]". It seems that most of the confusion stems from the fact that Apogee Software, LLC (which owns Rise of the Triad and Apogee Software, Ltd (which currently operates under the 3D Realms name) are two separate legal entities.
Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...e-Triad-Dev-Purchases-3D-Realms-Apogee-Update

New Frederik Schreiber Tweet:
We acquired 3D Realms (Legally, Apogee Software Ltd.) The new Apogee was established in 2008, which is a different company
Link: https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/440276172983640064

Okay that clarifies things, but I'd still like an explanation of what this acquisition :? will mean in practical terms...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DUKE NUKEM RPG THAT PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN EXIST

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Hopefully it's being abandoned for a Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure RPG. That property needs more love.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interceptor ‘Not Too Worried’ About Gearbox/Duke Lawsuit
duke.jpg

Oh gaming industry, even during the early year release doldrums, you never pull punches on good old fashioned drama. In the red corner, we have Rise of the Triad developer Interceptor, whose burgeoning brand roster now includes the smoldering remains of original Duke Nukem creator 3D Realms, and in the blue corner we have Borderlands developer and current Duke owner Gearbox. Gearbox, of course, is suing Interceptor because of Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, a gum-assing, kick-chewing ARPG it doesn’t believe Interceptor has the rights to develop. But, in the wake of its 3D Realms purchase, Interceptor has told RPS that it thinks it’s completely in the right.

“We wouldn’t have entered this development if we weren’t completely, 100 percent sure that we were indeed doing what we were allowed to,” CEO Frederik Schreiber said during a recent interview.

The line “in good faith” has come up countless times at this point, so I inquired further as to what exactly Interceptor means by that. Newly appointed 3D Realms/Apogee Software head Mike Nielsen explained:

“In good faith means that we felt we had done all the necessary work to verify and secure that the license was valid. And we still believe that. Nothing has changed. But we have to be realistic that we’re facing a lawsuit.”

And yet, Schreiber and Nielsen refused to refer to Mass Destruction by name, instead calling it an “unannounced project” even though a web-based promo campaign already revealed its identity. When pressed, however, they adamantly stated that they don’t think Gearbox’s lawsuit will hold their weapon of mass deliberation back for long. While they can’t predict the future, they believe 3D Realms still exerts some degree of control over Duke Nukem despite a recent apology letter from 3D Realms’ Scott Miller and George Broussard acknowledging that they’d violated Gearbox’s rights.

“We’ve obviously investigated and we have good faith that 3D Realms had that residual right [to Duke],” said Nielsen. “That’s what we believe… We’re not too worried about the lawsuit.”

“We would never enter agreements like these if we hadn’t done the necessary research and legal research beforehand,” added Schreiber. ”That’d be too risky for a small company like Interceptor.”

So then, what happens next? For their parts, Schreiber and Nielsen seem pretty optimistic that Gearbox’s lawsuit is only a stumbling block – not the end of the line.

“The lawsuit hasn’t swayed us from thinking that this was a good business decision to acquire 3D Realms and basically relaunch it as a publishing brand,” explained Nielsen. “That’s what we’re working on right now. The lawsuit is just part of business I think. You can get sued for a lot of things. We’ll take it as it comes.”

And as for Duke? Well, if Interceptor gets its way, we’ll be getting some concrete info sooner rather than later.

“Hopefully we’ll be making an official announcement on that within a month or so,” said Nielsen. “By then we should be able to make an announcement on it.”

For now, though, it’s back to the realm of lawyers and legalese. That one, presumably, is also three dimensional.

“We’ll let our defense speak for itself,” concluded Nielsen, “but we’re still hoping that we can solve this peacefully. That’s always been our goal.”

Look for the rest of our interview with Interceptor – which includes the Rise of the Triad developer’s publishing plans and overwhelming desire to acquire the Blood IP – very, very soon.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Look for the rest of our interview with Interceptor – which includes the Rise of the Triad developer’s publishing plans and overwhelming desire to acquire the Blood IP – very, very soon.

:avatard:

They should make a source port with some mod tools to change monsters hp/monk weapons/etc.
And than make a new version of the sequel sticking to the spooky houses/cemeteries/swamps and abandon awful bland futuresque thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The lulz continues: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...espond-to-gearbox-claim-duke-nukem-ownership/

3D Realms Puts Up Dukes In Legal Battle With Gearbox

The plot thickens. Actually, come to think of it, the plot was already quite thick – perhaps even viscous – given that 3D Realms sold the rights to Duke Nukem years ago only to resurface out-of-the-blue with a new Duke Nukem game being developed by Rise of the Triad developer Interceptor, get sued by Gearbox for it, sell its entire business to Interceptor, and allege that the purveyor of borders and lands has no legal ground to stand on. It’s been a mess so far, frankly – a sticky morass of contradictory claims. And now for the latest chapter, in which 3DR and Interceptor claim an agreement over an old project called Duke Nukem Survivor gives them every right to continue absconding with Gearbox’s supplies of gum and frighteningly kickable ass in the night.

3D Realms and Interceptor sent RPS court documents that, among many other things, contain the following section:

“63. [Gearbox's] claims are barred, in whole or in part, by written or implied trademark and/or copyright licenses. The Asset Purchase Agreement provides that 3DR could complete development of and sell a video game with the tentative title of ‘Duke Nukem Survivor.’ The Asset Purchase Agreement also explicitly provides 3DR a ‘worldwide, non-exclusive license (including the right to sublicense) to use’ the DUKE NUKEM trademarks in ‘connection with the marketing, promotion, manufacturing, and distribution of’ the ‘Duke Nukem Survivor’ game. In 2012 and again in 2013, Plaintiff was informed by 3DR of the development of the Duke Nukem game by 3DR. Plaintiff failed to timely object to the development or sale of the Duke Nukem game.”

Duke Nukem Survivor, apparently, was Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction’s tentative title.

The dynamic developmental duo are also alleging that Gearbox doesn’t hold Duke Nukem’s trademark rights at all, and thus they remain “the sole property of 3DR.” The company claims, then, that Gearbox never intended to enter into the vaunted “good faith” agreement it’s spoken so much about, but rather “sought to force former owners, Scott Miller and George Broussard, to improperly surrender what rightfully belonged to 3DR.”

Questions abound. How exactly did Gearbox fail to secure Duke Nukem trademark rights, for instance? Seems like a rather large oversight for a developer that trumpeted from the mountaintops its purchase of all Duke-Nukem-related releases from here until the end of time. And what exactly was Duke Nukem Survivor in its original conception? Was it far enough removed from Mass Destruction that there might be something to Gearbox’s claims after all?

I’ve sought comment from Gearbox and put in another interview request with 3DR/Interceptor. In the meantime, though, goodness. Even when Duke isn’t spouting crude one-liners and putting holes in everything that moves, he sure can carve a path of destruction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom