Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Bolt Riley Kickstarter: Adventure Game Co-designed by Quest for Glory Creators

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Adventure Mob; Bolt Riley; Corey Cole; Lori Cole

Fellow Quest for Glory fans might be interested in checking out this Kickstarter by Oden Sharon and Adventure Mob -- for a point-and-click adventure game co-designed by Corey and Lori Cole, creators of the Quest for Glory series:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soundguy/bolt-riley-a-reggae-adventure-game

Become a Jamaican Reggae legend in an adventure game co-designed by Corey and Lori Cole (Creators of Quest for Glory series).

The game features hand drawn 2D background artwork and hand drawn cel animation. It combines all the elements of a classic point and click adventure game and includes funny dialog puzzles, exploration, wacky inventory items, and of course, a rope.

We introduce a sort of second inventory, where Bolt can use special Inspirational powers he learned during his journeys. This is similar to how spells worked in the later Quest for Glory games, where you had a separate inventory for spells.

[...] The Coles designed the second chapter of Bolt Riley, in which Bolt has to assemble his band, get instruments, and find the inspiration for his songs, and took an important role in designing the entire game.​

To clear this up, the Coles do not work on this project in parallel to their work on Hero-U; no, they actually designed the 2nd chapter of Bolt Riley before the Hero-U Kickstarter campaign. As Oded Sharon has explained on our forums,

We worked with the Coles on this in 2011. This was before we ran out of fund, and before we work with Replay on Larry. The Coles were involved in the design of all the game (including chapter 1) were part of writing the entire story.

It's expensive to make games. If chapter one succeed or if we reach the stretch goal we will make chapter 2. Without your help , this will not happen. Chapter one is nearly complete.​

It's a beautiful looking game and I hope it succeeds. In part I'm posting this as Codex news, even though I initially didn't feel like doing so, because the world also deserves to know how Replay treated Sharon and Adventure Mob when the latter were contracted to work on the Leisure Suit Larry remake:

[R]egarding the whole replay games - well, I'm already under threat of lawsuit by Replay so i can't post anything that will be considered damage or libel. What i can share are some facts:

1. Despite what someone else said we had a team working on Larry and Riley. here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...166214.-2207520000.1383135147.&type=3&theater

Who recognizes those backgrounds on our walls there?

2. Both adventure mob and replay games have done due diligence on each other late 2011. This was months before we went to kickstrater with them. So coming out of the woods with saying something like "we've done our due diligence"?
well, we already had most of chapter 1 for Bolt Riley developeed by then, a team of 20 people.
We actually found disturbing things which we choose to ignore. In retrospect maybe we shouldn't.

3. you can see that we were the ones doing the work on the larry demo here:
i can show you the code i wrote in unity. Myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmjnjRtsNu0

We never got paid a dime for our work and spent tons on money on it.​

Devs of a kickstarted game behaving like publishers. Who would've thought.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Wacky inventory items" sounds like a bad idea. "To get past this part, you have to use the Harmonica Fish on the Gerbil Cage for no sensible reason! The players are gonna love this!"

SoundGuy

Adventure Mob
Developer
"Wacky inventory items" sounds like a bad idea. "To get past this part, you have to use the Harmonica Fish on the Gerbil Cage for no sensible reason! The players are gonna love this!"

I'm posting Gameplay video tomorrow. You'll see one example of such an inventory item - it's not anything you don't understand what to do with, just stuff you don't see in adventure games too much, but really fits well in this one. And from friends playtesting the game we saw that they loved these kinds of jokes.

-- Putting away my Rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Serves 'em right for working on an awful series like Leisure Suit Larry. Should have known there would be nothing but pure scumbaggery there.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serves 'em right for working on an awful series like Leisure Suit Larry. Should have known there would be nothing but pure scumbaggery there.

Now, that's crap. If you dangled that carrot in front of any of us developers two years ago, we would have LOVED to have had the chance to help revive a classic series we love. We all know the fuck better now, but no one "deserves" that kind of shit.

Bt

Redlands

Arcane

Now, that's crap. If you dangled that carrot in front of any of us developers two years ago, we would have LOVED to have had the chance to help revive a classic series we love. We all know the fuck better now, but no one "deserves" that kind of shit.

Bt

For shame, you've been around the Codex long enough to know to ignore Roguey.

:rpgcodex:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Bt

For shame, you've been around the Codex long enough to know to ignore Roguey.

:rpgcodex:
FUCK, that was Roguey? I didn't even look at his fucking name. I feel like I have to bathe in Borax now.

Bt

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Bt
As I said, well-deserved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom