Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Point:_Road_to_Hell

Tried this game when it came out. It had a huge gameworld and an interesting premisis. It also tried to combine rpg and fps. Though it was marred by an incredible amount of bugs and poor performance it still had a certain charm. It is rumored that the game nowadays is a lot more stable and fun though. Anybody tried it out and knows wether it's any fun?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've played it a while ago, had no performance problem whatsover, and the beginning is interesting and fun enough. The shooting and driving is decent, even better than GTA IMO. Heck, better than Crysis I would say. The faction design, along with Jagged Alliance 2 style world grew on me rather quick.

Unfortunately the game got old real fast, as the area design is extremely heavy copy & pasted, the wilderness is very boring, and the worst part is the missions are very cookie cuttery.

Compared to GTA its fun factor sucks - I remember all the mission I did was get mission - kill stuff / steal stuff - get money - pay for information - get mission - repeat. The repetive area layout doesn't help either.

Other quirks include awful voice acting (JA2 did a MUCH better job voice acting latin American), tons of bugs (never crashed IIRC though), awful wilderness driving scenery (there is nothing but trees, trees, and trees), and so on.

IMO, it's an unpolished Assassin's Creed.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yeah, i kinda liked it at the start, but like similarily with Tes games, BP was fun for first few hours. Then you realise it's just an empty placeholder for hitch-hiking. And not very interesting at that.
I've heard there has been some kind of fan made expansion pack. Maybe that could brighten it up, but it's probably only in russian.

Zakhal

Liturgist
I bought it few months ago because they had released two big patches for it and the game was cheap. Havent had time to try it yet though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I thought they also planned it for the first one. Amazingly ambitious game that suffers from all the wierd eastern stuff we can expect from Slav devs but still rocks. Exploring the starting town and then being able to leave it and drive for km's was one of those moments that made me :salute: the devs. And then you find they've made several planets.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should try the sequel, White Gold, it is awesome(but buggy). Try to get the Russian version as it is easier to patch. The patch adds DMR that is not compatible with the online English versions.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Boiling Point is very fun, very open game, as long as you don't touch the main quest and work, for example, for mafia or CIA. Also searching for all missing fragments of Xenus is very entertainment task, because you must cooperate to some degree with different fractions. Raw but good, like a good steak.

Overall it's better to play bugy game which has a great scope, than very polished, bug-free but minuscule and limited thingy.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Anyone played a sequel - Xenus 2: White Gold? Original was quite bland and got boring fast, though the concept was appealing at first.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Anyone played a sequel - Xenus 2: White Gold? Original was quite bland and got boring fast, though the concept was appealing at first.
It has more bugs than the first game and the English version has no voice over at all, they just cut it. Russian version with English translation is the best option if you want to play it. But it's not worth it.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I've played it a while ago, had no performance problem whatsover, and the beginning is interesting and fun enough. The shooting and driving is decent, even better than GTA IMO. Heck, better than Crysis I would say. The faction design, along with Jagged Alliance 2 style world grew on me rather quick.
How can someone be so wrong... shooting is shit, driving is mediocre and way worse than GTA and Crysis.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ed123
Go grab Precursors, patch it an get original voices. Freedom is really big, ton of planets to visit....

Gnidrologist
after some patches and tweaks it may be even better than Boiling Point. Shooting works way better here from what I remember.
Kind a pity it was kicked out from GamersGate...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom