Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Warren Ellis said:
I remain absolutely passionate about beating the crap out of IGA in a dark alleyway one day.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That old quote from some years back is mostly about all the rewrites Warren Ellis had to do to the script back when Castlevania adaptation was first attempted (Ellis was hired to write that time too).

Shinji

Savant
December Update - Development News and the Team at Work
Posted by Koji Igarashi (Creator)

4b7a34c724544825ec7e3d7d4410f780_original.jpg

Merry Christmas. IGA here.

This year is coming closer to an end...

In this update, we have a very important announcement to make. Bloodstained will no longer be supported on Mac and Linux. We have made this tough decision due to challenges of supporting middleware and online feature support and making sure we deliver on the rest of the scope for the game. We will be offering backers who planned to play the game on Mac and Linux the option to change the platform of their order. If you would like to change your platform, please send an email with your new platform request from the email address associated with your Kickstarter pledge. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and we hope for your understanding.

Development has reached its peak — we are currently checking the performance of Bloodstained on each platform. Overall, we are done with enemy placement and entering the adjustment phase. But there are still many progression-blocking bugs that must be taken care of.

I’d like to pass along some photos of the development team.

aea74f3a57a419bc6205040ced4dda46_original.jpeg

IGA at work
3c1638a278024fbd09ddf8757ba56a00_original.jpeg

a446beb0f947b3740e729009e3e553f9_original.jpeg

3395e5787113b912c9e44017917657cc_original.jpeg

2f18695f28e338a3617da0ee8ed7955b_original.jpeg

It doesn't look like we are in a crunch period, does it? But we actually work quietly like this most of the time.

WayForward have already helped us improve the game in a number of ways, including creating incredible assets and lighting placements that we’re looking forward to.

5e662cbde1ffc3d9ea2d4d1478b1494d_original.jpg

Today we’d like to share a new enemy concept art. This is Forneus, a demon fish. I would hate to come face to face with him at an aquarium… Well, Forneus will be useful for cooking, and will surely be delicious.

Our whole team is working very hard. We look forward to your continued support.

RoSoDude

Arcane

deama

Prophet
Summer 2019 release date confirmed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/2414742

Surprise! Announcing Bloodstained's release window
Posted by Koji Igarashi (Creator)

The release window for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has been announced! Enjoy some brand-new footage and prepare for Summer 2019 in the Release Window Announce Trailer below:

Igarashi even calls them Igavanias like I do. :smug:

IT'S METROIDVANIAS AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!

At least the game looks good, I was afraid it'd become vapourware.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Igarashi even calls them Igavanias like I do. :smug:
IT'S METROIDVANIAS AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!

At least the game looks good, I was afraid it'd become vapourware.
Igavanias are a subset of the Metroidvania genre that denotes a certain style of Castlevania (SOTN onward), with Classicvanias as the old style. It's rather cool that the Bloodstained "franchise" will have one of each type.

To me, one of the best things about Igarashi's games is that they reward exploration of their systems as much as exploration of their worlds, while most games closely aping Metroid just ask that you find where to use that new powerup you got and have little to offer in terms of combat depth and mastery (there are other gains in this tradeoff). Bloodstained looks like it's very much in the right direction, and I'm glad Igarashi is playing to his strengths here.

EDIT: I made a shitty meme
BALNoN1.png

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Apparently the Japanese Nintendo Direct had its own gameplay preview video. Lots of cool stuff here -- new combo/special attacks on weapons, a lot more stage designs (including some in 3D), creative new puzzle gimmicks, light visual customization for Miriam's hairstyle/skin tone/costume colors, new bosses, and several new combat abilities. Gameplay looks great. Doubt you're missing much by not being able to understand the Japanese.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, I never expected the game to start shaping up so well. Looking like a proper metroidvania now. Hopefully it'll offer a little bit of challenge.

Perkel

Arcane
wtf it looks so much better now. the animation seems on point, the movement no longer looks floaty and clunky the game looks sharper now too.

damn.

Yeah it looks like they went from industrial "it works" to very polished especially for animations.

deuxhero

Arcane
Well at least that makes sense for development progression. Rough model/animations to test then make polished final ones once later. Especially sensible when animations/models are tied to balance (hitboxes, attack range/speed, jump range) and not just visual so you don't want to set them in stone too early.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No knockback when getting hit trivializes the Clockwork level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom