Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

LivingOne

Savant
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

https://505games.com/games/bloodstained/

https://af.gog.com/game/bloodstained_ritual_of_the_night?as=1649904300

=======

Celebrated Castlevania developer Koji Igarashi has left Konami, he's announced.

His last day at the Japanese company was Saturday, 15th March, he told IGN.

He intends to go it alone at his own studio.

"I've decided to break out on my own to have the freedom to make the kind of games I really want to make - the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," Igarashi told IGN.

"Leaving Konami was a big decision, and not one I took lightly - I've spent my entire career there, made many friends, and had a lot of great opportunities - but I hope all the gamers and fans who have supported me in the past will join me in being excited about what comes next. Wish me luck!"

Igarashi joined Konami in 1990, starting out as a writer and programmer for the dating adventure Tokimeki Memorial.

He is best known for his work on the much-loved Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and his role as director of the series after that game's release.

His output has dried up in recent years, though, and he had nothing to do with MercurySteam's Lords of Shadow Castlevania games. Later this week Igarashi will deliver a talk at the Game Developers Conference titled "There and Back Again: Koji Igarashi's Metroidvania Tale".

From the talk's official blurb: "From its beginnings with 8-bit classics like Metroid, through its rebirth in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and several games in the series since - right up to the current generation of hardware - 'Metroidvania'-style games' mix of action/adventure and exploration/backtracking has stood the test of the time.

"Join fan favourite producer Koji Igarashi for an exploration of his experiences and methodology in creating some of the most popular and influential games in the genre over the last 15 years."

Eurogamer has asked Konami for comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-17-castlevania-developer-koji-igarashi-leaves-konami

Metroidvania kickstarter incoming?

Last edited by a moderator:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Souls games are better 3D Metriodvania games ironically enough. This is particularly funny since From mostly made 1st dungeon crawlers.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good for him, it is quite sad how 90% the japanese game companies have broken down on this generation, from dominating the videogame marketplace (with a few odd western developed series doing well; like God of War & Legacy of Kain) to having their best developers simply pack up and leave, which would have been inconceivable even 15 years ago, much less to go freelance or put their own studios.
I truly love SotN and like the PS2 Castelvanias, hopefully he can develop his own franchise with his own concepts and ideas; seeing the success of Might Number 9 and how well it looks so far (I backed it even though I have never played Mega Man) and how japanese developers went behind the technolohical curve this generation, a 2d sidescroller sounds awesome...although I agree with DF; the Souls games make better metroidvanias than the last 10 years of Metroids and Castlevanias

deuxhero

Arcane
Nah, there was an old recurring claim he was sexist, so a nut like Dinah wouldn't get anywhere near the thing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good for him, it is quite sad how 90% the japanese game companies have broken down on this generation, from dominating the videogame marketplace (with a few odd western developed series doing well; like God of War & Legacy of Kain) to having their best developers simply pack up and leave, which would have been inconceivable even 15 years ago, much less to go freelance or put their own studios.
I truly love SotN and like the PS2 Castelvanias, hopefully he can develop his own franchise with his own concepts and ideas; seeing the success of Might Number 9 and how well it looks so far (I backed it even though I have never played Mega Man) and how japanese developers went behind the technolohical curve this generation, a 2d sidescroller sounds awesome...although I agree with DF; the Souls games make better metroidvanias than the last 10 years of Metroids and Castlevanias

Conservatism works great against old challenges, but when the threat is evolving its adapt or die.

A lesson Japanese companies are too big to apply.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
All of the stuff also just feels gimicky or stupid in 3D. Like the hidden walls. Way more satisfying when you find one in SotN by heaing that awesome crumbling sound when you hit a wall. And you can't do the same sort of mobility upgrades in a 3D game. Metroid Prime and Darksiders both tried that shit and it feels way too artificial when you get double jumping or whatever and come across places that you're clearly meant to double jump. It feels like you got a needlessly complicated key with no purpose except to bypass a few arbitrary obstacles. SotN was way more organic, it'd just have some sort of obstacle, and you had half a dozen ways to get around it instead of the one particular thing the devs meant for you to do. And most of your powers were just generally useful for moving around or fighting.

2D metroidvania is a genre that needs about 5 times as many titles. And not more of those stupid handheld titles with screens 2 character heights tall where it feels like you're exploring some shitty ass haunted house because all the levels are claustrophobic as fuck and things mostly hurt you by virtue of not having been on the screen until .3 seconds ago.

Lonerville

Educated
"I've decided to break out on my own to have the freedom to make the kind of games I really want to make - the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well,"

"Leaving Konami was a big decision, and not one I took lightly - I've spent my entire career there, made many friends, and had a lot of great opportunities - but I hope all the gamers and fans who have supported me in the past will join me in being excited about what comes next. Wish me luck!"

Igarashi arrives at his basement office only to find the door locked; Konami issues a press release.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Dark Souls is an example of how a SotN style world design would work in 3D. Gameplay wise, it's obviously not similar at all though.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
All of the stuff also just feels gimicky or stupid in 3D. Like the hidden walls. Way more satisfying when you find one in SotN by heaing that awesome crumbling sound when you hit a wall. And you can't do the same sort of mobility upgrades in a 3D game. Metroid Prime and Darksiders both tried that shit and it feels way too artificial when you get double jumping or whatever and come across places that you're clearly meant to double jump. It feels like you got a needlessly complicated key with no purpose except to bypass a few arbitrary obstacles. SotN was way more organic, it'd just have some sort of obstacle, and you had half a dozen ways to get around it instead of the one particular thing the devs meant for you to do. And most of your powers were just generally useful for moving around or fighting.

2D metroidvania is a genre that needs about 5 times as many titles. And not more of those stupid handheld titles with screens 2 character heights tall where it feels like you're exploring some shitty ass haunted house because all the levels are claustrophobic as fuck and things mostly hurt you by virtue of not having been on the screen until .3 seconds ago.

Are you also talking about why Dark Souls fails in this game design aspect?

If you are I am horribly confused.

Damned Registrations

Confused how? Stuff like the charred ring and ring of the covenant are exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. They may as well have made them keys instead, same difference. It'd be different if there were areas where lava was a hazard but could be avoided, then it might feel like an upgrade.

And the fake walls in dark souls were lame, except the one Logan is hidden behind. They just disappear like they were some kind of graphical bug all along, and there's no means of finding them except to run around jabbing every wall you ever see, unless they're blatantly obvious because they're inside a doorway or some shit. It's better than not having them at all, but it's plainly inferior to the kind of secrets you can put in 2D games, where a portion of everything is left to the imagination of the player.

Machocruz

Arcane
Take Metroid Prime, subtract sci-fi, guns and FP, add gothic horror fantasy, melee, and TP. There is your metroidVania.

Machocruz

Arcane
This implies that metroid prime was a perfect translation of the metroid games to begin with, which is fucking horseshit.

It doesn't imply that at all unless you expect no less than a perfect translation in 3D, which isn't going to happen. But it's closer to the mark than Dark Souls.

Further, every Metroid game has failed to do things that the previous entry did. The first Metroid had an open-endedness that Super didn't. The series can't even recreate itself.

Damned Registrations

What I expect is that if you can't do it well enough in 3D you should make another fucking 2D game. If you can't bear to play 2D games because they're so old go and play your popamole shooters and GTFO. At least Capcom had the sense to go back to 2D after the abomination of Megaman X7. But Konami had to keep on plodding along with shitty ass 3D castlevania games, with some crappy handheld titles reusing graphics from the fucking SNES 20 years later as their token offering to their actual fanbase.

Just because some 3D games are good doesn't mean every game needs to be 3D. Metroid Prime is about as much of a Metroid game as Devil May Cry is a Castlevania game. It's not even remotely the same shit.

Machocruz

Arcane
Edgy, but who are you responding to? No one said they can't bear to play 2D games. These are suggestions, and if we're going to suggest things, let's suggest things that bear closer resemblance to the thing being emulated, and Metroid Prime is closer to Metroid than Dark Souls is to SoTN, no matter what you say. Any Metroid or Vania fan worth their salt would prefer 2D iterations. That's only been my fucking holy grail every console generation when I see what 2D can look like in games like Guilty Gear and Dragon's Crown. Right now, chances of a high-res, 2D Metroid or Castlevania on a console look to be somewhere between none and never. The powers you get in 2D games are not as satisfying in 3D space. Screw Attack was a joke in Corruption.

Edit: Rondo of Blood/Dracula's Curse style or GTFO. The Metroid-likes need to be put to bed for a while.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Why suggest a 3D game at all though? I point out the flaws of trying to make a 3D game with these elements and you suggest ANOTHER 3D game instead of a 2D game. I'm supposed to glean from that your undying love of 2D games? What?

Machocruz

Arcane
Are we supposed to stop suggesting 3D games to emulate just because of what you say? Get over yourself. Obviously others don't agree that it is such a flawed idea, and as such I bring up a game that fits the bill better. I could have made a post agreeing with you, which I do, but that's not the point I chose to address. That's how it goes in forums.

And you're not supposed to glean anything, just like you are not supposed to assume anything -like people not being able to bear 2D games, or that just because I bring up a 3D solution that I think 3D is the way to go.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
"To prefer 2d over 3d is not human, get it?"

As for me, i would like a belt scrooling beat em up Castlevania game :troll:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hmmm...Although his next game will likely be a 2D Metroidvania, apparently Igarashi want to try a 3D game someday.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/55...view-castlevania-konami-and-going-independent

When asked to expand on his future game plans, Igarashi said, "If you just look at my strengths, most likely it will be an action game. Of course, fans would like a 2D exploration sort of game, a Metroidvania-type game. That's definitely something i'm interested in to make them happy.

"But, probably much to fans' chagrin, I'm frustrated that I have been unable to make a really good 3D game as well. That's something I want to eventually truly conquer, because it has continually defeated me."

Igarashi doesn't have a name for his new development studio, he says, and he hasn't ruled out collaborating with some of his former colleagues and co-creators, like artist Ayami Kojima and musician Michiru Yamane.

"Kojima-san and Michiru-san are both amazing creators and it's fantastic to work with them," he said. "I'd love to work with them all the time, if I could. That's definitely something I am thinking about, but naturally there's lots of talent I've worked with in the past and I'm planning to see if we could collaborate in the future."

He'll likely focus on console games at his new studio, as that's where much of his fan base resides. But he doesn't want to exclude other platforms, like PC, mobile or handhelds, and if fans demand it, he'll consider all hardware options. "I don't want to close any doors," he said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom