Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Mozg

Arcane
It looks like the foundation is solid. Obviously a metroidvania needs variety, non-linearity, solid enemy and encounter design the whole way through, etc. and I can't judge that from what might be just a short side area or tutorial or something. Plus I assume the enemies are set at very low HP for this, the sound effects aren't in, etc.

Machocruz

Arcane
Disappointed in the visuals. I thought OoE had it just right. Weren't the DS games a combination of sprite work and 3D models shaded to look like sprites?

Mozg

Arcane
Guilty Gear Xrd does the trick of rendering 3D models into individual 2D frames of animation.

Like for example:

350px-GGXRD_Ky_cS.png

That is not a 2D sprite, it's a 3D model with shaders, except they're copying the style of a specific 2D drawing in the animation with implied blurred motion on the sword. As I understand it the shader stuff is really difficult and high-tech, so I wouldn't expect a little indie to copy that, but mimicking 2D animation might be doable.

Of course, that's a raw decrease in the # of frames of animation but it might fit aesthetically.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So the demo is out. Did anyone back this game and get it? /v/'s reaction to it seems to be favorable with most people saying that the gameplay feels good.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Looks good but apparently on the easy side, but sense it's the E3 demo which tend to be made easier for game journalist (they suck at games), I expect it to be harder at release. Also backdash cancelling is in.
hE1M8Bq.gif
[/IMG]
hE1M8Bq.gif

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks good already. The mockups they showed didn't look Castlevania-like enough for me which is why I didn't back it, but the actual game is much better. I'd still prefer 2D art over 3D though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's been so long I can't remember what actually got met but didn't this have a bunch of roguelike features and stuff promised as well?

---

Arcane
It's been so long I can't remember what actually got met but didn't this have a bunch of roguelike features and stuff promised as well?
Yes, one of the stretch goals was about a section of the castle with roguelike rules. There will be also a shitton of extra modes: coop (local and online), new game +, nightmare (super hard) mode, speedrun mode, boss rush, boss revenge (you use the bosses to complete certain stages), a section of the castle with retro graphic, classic mode (I suppose that this is a mode without RPG elements, just like Symphony of the Night with Trevor), and don't forget about the mini prequel game, which probably will be released during this year (?) for every possible console (included 3DS, which will not have the main game). Oh, and you will be able to play the main campaign with three characters (included Miriam).
That's one of the reason why Iga said that some of these modes will be released, of course for free, after the publication of the main game (to avoid excessive delays).

Here there are all the stretch goals:
9f9a61192036ca4016b7a7459cb711d4_original.png

Last edited:
Looks and sounds alright but gameplay feels really sluggish. I miss the snappiness of 2d sprites, I think there are too many inbetween frames on this or something.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, I've just completed the short demo, and it does feel great. The music, the gameplay, the feeling, everything. Even just the main screen looks and feels great. It won't appeal to fans of the original non-rpg Castlevanias though, since it's basically Symphony of Darkness with more tits (with a kraken boss monster that is basically a mix between an octopus and the top half of a well endowed sea woman).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It won't appeal to fans of the original non-rpg Castlevanias though
No, that was never in question. They plastered their metroidvania pitch since Day 1.

You mean the linear first 5 games? They're solid but they're over within 2 hours.
So? They're arcade games, that's how long they're supposed to be.

This. Arcade games are for replay value and not length. Besides, Rondo of Blood is not linear.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I never really saw the appeal of the classic Castlevania games. 1 is a mess, 2 is probably cool if you can read/play the original but that translation was devastating to it's gameplay, and then the later ones at least have some cool branching levels and shit, but still rather dull core gameplay. They're slow and most of the challenge is in memorizing very simple patterns. Solid music as well, but it's not like there's some sort of dearth of excellent platformers / side scrollers.

---

Arcane
You are absolutely right, but even so I like them. I find still especially charming and enjoyable Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood (this is easily the best one among the "old" Castlevanias), despite I was able to play them only a lot of time after their releases.
I like Igavanias, but I only played Circle of the Moon (meh, imho) and Aria of Sorrow (this one was good, and I'm glad that they are riproposing the souls mechanics in Bloodstained). And of course Symphony of the Night, simply one of my favourite games ever.
My confidence towards Bloodstained is more based on my love towards the metroidvania genre, than on the igavanias that I actually played.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I disagree, I thought they were fun for what they are. Arcade-platformers based on timing and some memorization. Except 2, 2 was a dull grind with none of the fun exploration that the later games had.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I love the jumping controls in some Castlevanias where you have to commit to the jump and own up your mistake. Even so it's never really that punishing unless you are hopelessly bad at it. Castlevania 1, 3, Bloodlines, Rondo of Blood and ReBirth are all excellent games that I play on a regular basis. Anyways, if you guys are thirsty for some Metroidvania esque games then Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight is 8€ on steam right now. Highly recommend that game, it's the best Metroidvania I've played ever since they stopped making Castlevania.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good thing Dolphin exists or I'd be really disappointed that ReBirth is only on the Wii.

To add to that plug, the first three Momodora games are fun action platformers in their own right, with the first two being free and the third only costing about 1 dollar. Reverie kinda takes it where everyone thought the series was in the first place (if you look at the screens, Momodora 1 looks exactly like Cave Story).

FAKE EDIT: Goddamned ninja'd by a rat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom