Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines remake gets a Cease & Desist from CCP

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If they contacted holder of rights, then what's the problem?

Perkel

Arcane
Probably acti has agreement just to release game untin year 20xx where any new content, modification is strictly prohibited along with releasing different version of game. Which means that modders wouldn't be able to include code from bloodlines assets and so on in their install.

Like i said they should go with OpenMW way where all assets and stuff is imported from base game cd

Norfleet

Moar liek CCCP.
Yeah, whenever I see "CCP", my brain wants to add the missing C, but they really have nothing in common here. Hell, I don't even know what "CCP" even means, aside from that it's the EVE guys. It's probably something simultaneously pretentious and meaningless, though.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It's not always that simple though, since they often need some publicity to attract talent and testers.

Speaking of: any members from the fallout of this bullshit news are welcome to join me in improving Deus Ex. I need an AI programmer and 3D artists of varying proficiency to improve Deus Ex's AI further, and much more.

R.I.P.

It is bad enough that it is 100% passion-driven work: these people weren't being paid. You've got to be a money-grubbing cunt to shut them down.
Personally I wouldn't let go, C&D or not. I hold my mod way too dear to me, but a mod is more personal and creative than a remake I suppose...but this was different, this was Bloodlines, a game very much needing a remake along with some creative changes in the process (fucking combat for one), and it wasn't like Troika got a fair chance with the original game to begin with and these guys could have done them proud.

What if they continue working on it, but don't acknowledge it and don't talk about it? Then they release their thing on torrents when it's done. What's the problem here?

Dunno why modders and whonot doesnt do it this way? always want to be on the big stage....

Another tard with this mentality on the 'Dex, no surprise...

Infinitron already was mostly on the mark: testers, new talent, hype, feedback. All absolutely necessary. Most notably for a remake of a game like Bloodlines you need a large team. Where the fuck do you find a individuals of varying skill sets prepared to work with no pay for a fairly long haul, Yellow Pages? Personally I don't even know one person in real life that has played Bloodlines.

Let alone has the skills and the formidable desire to remake the fucking whole game.

and it is all mostly tedious work because creativity is restricted; just remaking everything someone else had done before (and got paid for it) because ideally everything has to be true to the game you are making otherwise your potential players will bitch and moan either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luzur

Good Sir
What if they continue working on it, but don't acknowledge it and don't talk about it? Then they release their thing on torrents when it's done. What's the problem here?

Dunno why modders and whonot doesnt do it this way? always want to be on the big stage....

Another tard with this mentality on the 'Dex, no surprise...

Infinitron already was mostly on the mark: testers, new talent, hype, feedback. All absolutely necessary. Most notably for a remake of a game like Bloodlines you need a large team. Where the fuck do you find a individuals of varying skill sets prepared to work with no pay for a fairly long haul, Yellow Pages? Personally I don't even know one person in real life that has played Bloodlines.

LOL im not the one with the nice signs under his name here, am i now?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was about as excited for this project than for the Baldur's Gate remake in the Neverwinter Nights engine.

You want moddability ? How about importing the V:TM ruleset and some assets to the Deus Ex engine?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I was about as excited for this project than for the Baldur's Gate remake in the Neverwinter Nights engine.

You want moddability ? How about importing the V:TM ruleset and some assets to the Deus Ex engine?

I wouldn't wish that on Bloodlines. Unreal Engine 1 sucks big time, at least in comparison to source/HL2 engine. The game would lose it's wonderful atmosphere and FPP NPC conversations would be laughable with low-poly models. That said, the game could be better regardless if ported because yes, moddability, you could fix it's many design flaws (primarily that of gameplay), but it is too much work. Not for Arthur & Co though I guess.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can thank the 'success' of companies like beamdog that want to sell you the same game again for incentive for monetization that probably caused this.
It's not dead until the copyright owner is dead

cjbulanda

Literate
Did anyone actually expect this to happen? Especially with CCP and Activision? Come on people

dryan

Arcane
Mite b cool, but still, no original IP will ever be as good as VtM.

Perkel

Arcane
lol then why the fuck they even bought that company...

dryan

Arcane
From what I've read, CCP is doing quite poorly financially, lots of people have been fired. So it's possible that back when they bought WW they actually had sincere plans for the IP, but they had to cancel everything once they started having difficulties, in order to focus efforts on EvE and Dust (maybe?).

Ninjerk

Arcane
From what I've read, CCP is doing quite poorly financially, lots of people have been fired. So it's possible that back when they bought WW they actually had sincere plans for the IP, but they had to cancel everything once they started having difficulties, in order to focus efforts on EvE and Dust (maybe?).
Probably thought they could capitalize on the Twilight/True Bloods craze and weren't seeing the kind of progress they wanted. I thought I heard Eve was struggling as well on account of Dust not panning out?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought I heard Eve was struggling as well on account of Dust not panning out?
EVE is in perfect shape, with steady userbase. Dust tanked on the other hand, but it was never connected financially or business wise, just technically.

dryan

Arcane
Probably thought they could capitalize on the Twilight/True Bloods craze and weren't seeing the kind of progress they wanted. I thought I heard Eve was struggling as well on account of Dust not panning out?
Probably was their plan, but they took too long... back when WoD MMO seemed like a real possibility (2008 maybe?) and they were even adding character customization and walking around stations as a test-drive for WoD, still their most optimistic deadline for a rough beta was late 2013! That's a five year wait minimum, and fads go out of style much faster nowadays.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'm late for the party here, but this along with the cancellation of the WoD MMO just makes me sad. Bloodlines is one of my favorite games ever (even remembering the music from the main menu makes me want to play it again), acknowledging we might not see another game in the same setting really sucks. Maybe Obsidian could make a Vampire game? Something just as buggy and full of heart as the original?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OMG!!!! Gay-Lussac!

:love:

Maybe Obsidian could make a Vampire game? Something just as buggy and full of heart as the original?

You have been gone for a while. Obsidian WAS working on a new Vampire game..... and then White Wolf got bought and that killed it.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
OMG!!!! Gay-Lussac!

:love:

You have been gone for a while. Obsidian WAS working on a new Vampire game..... and then White Wolf got bought and that killed it.

Hey Jaesun! How are you doing man? I actually still lurk and even post ocasionally, but it's mostly on the League of Legends thread. You're the first person to notice me though, I sometimes even see Zerotol on that LoL thread (or at least I assume it's him from the amount of dumbfuck-like tags he bears) and he never says anything; hits me right in the feels, man. I guess changing my name from Lavoisier21 to Gay-Lussac shortly before I disappeared doesn't help as well.

About the canceled Vampire project by Obsidian, I think I might have read about that somewhere here, but didn't remember it. Brian Mitsoda released his zombie game finally, and he was responsible for a lot of bloodlines' writing, so I guess I'll go check that out eventually, at least.

EDIT: Oh, crap, I almost forgot to ask, what happened to GD? Did they delete the subforum a while back? Where are all the trannys and pseudo nazis suppose to make their home now?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes. Like the Exult people did, they made their own engine that requires the original game to be installed (of note, and why they are not shut down is they DO NOT have ANY of EA's copyrighted artwork/sounds etc... in any of the Exult distribution downloads. Just the engine and tools that manipulate the original files). It uses all of the original art/sounds etc... but they manipulate those files with external programs to work with their own proprietary engine.

THAT is the ONLY 100% way you will not get a C&D letter from a Publisher. For the most part anyways....
I don't understand why the VtMB new remake team didn't do this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom