Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines remake gets a Cease & Desist from CCP

Branm

Learned
Huh, I thought non-commercial fan projects didn't need approval from the publisher/developer.

In before hexer receives a C&D email from Bethesda.
From what I can gather its not a non commercial project though. They asked for donations....

‘The preferred way to donate to Project Vaulderie is by using our PayPal account. We suggest a donation of 30, 10 or 5 USD, but you may donate any amount you please after clicking the button below’.

Branm

Learned
Well fuck.

It's a fan project and they are not going to be charging for it. It costs CCP nothing to let it continue - they are not doing anything with the bloody licence anyway. The only way killing this will protect their intellectual property is by making it even more worthless.

They are asking for donations...thus they are making a profit on the product....

Yeah, I can't see how they could have gathered any significant amount of donations either. Still, the moment you get any money, no matter how small amount involved you draw lawyers to yourself. Like blood in water and sharks. Well, leeches really.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Btw. people are mistaking non-profit and non-commercial projects lately and belive in myth that project with donation is still non-commercial because of some weird reason that makes no sense at all, but somebody on internets said that, so it is true. Some people even belive that starting indiegogo crowdfunding for project based on copyrighted content is still legal, because people aren't buying this game or whatever. Meanwhile adds on webpage are enough to make project commercial. It takes 15 minutes on wikipedia to learn the difference, and it's first thing that somebody should do before starting anything.

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
garren You were saying? +M

Shockingly, the best company for allowing remakes and fan sequels of old games is none other than Electronic Arts, who even allow projects that use their competitors' engines (Dungeon Siege, Freespace 2, etc).

Cool, so I can still consider Lands of Lore remakes.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ooookay, so it seems I'm late for the party to blame CCP. I've prepared this for the party, though.

1T1BGXL.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That does not matter. They were profiting off of CCP's established license without permission.
Donation doesn't have any basis and therefore no relation to anything. It's just that - I offer you money and expect nothing in return. The fact that they were also making something that has to do with Bloodlines is unrelated, at least in the eyes of the law, as far as I know. I normal countries, that is.

Perkel

Arcane
That does not matter. They were profiting off of CCP's established license without permission.
Donation doesn't have any basis and therefore no relation to anything. It's just that - I offer you money and expect nothing in return. The fact that they were also making something that has to do with Bloodlines is unrelated, at least in the eyes of the law, as far as I know. I normal countries, that is.

Like he said it doesn't matter. If you use not your own material in any way they can C&D just like that even they wouldn't have donation page. This is why OpenMW for example took loops and bounds to not include anything in their files that have betsheda print.

keppj0nes

Educated
I don't understand why CCP cares at all since they completely cancelled their WOD project. What are they going to do? Sit on the property forever and shut down anyone's efforts to release anything similar to World of Darkness lore? They should have worked with them for licensing or negotiating. This is just fail all around, and the result is no game released anywhere.

Also kind of sad CCP took over White Wolf and every single person is being put on creation of future Eve Online materials.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I don't understand why CCP cares at all since they completely cancelled their WOD project. What are they going to do? Sit on the license forever and shut down anyone's efforts to release anything similar to World of Darkness properties? This is just fail all around, and the result is no game released anywhere.

they will just spam their pen and paper stuff.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't understand why CCP cares at all since they completely cancelled their WOD project. What are they going to do? Sit on the license forever and shut down anyone's efforts to release anything similar to World of Darkness properties? This is just fail all around, and the result is no game released anywhere.

Also kind of sad CCP took over White Wolf and every single person is being put on creation of future Eve Online materials.
Actually, yes.

Perkel

Arcane
IMO i think people who tried to do World of Darkness MMO were simply thinking like us in 95' that if we could do RPG online we could play like we play pen and paper RPGs with so much more people.
But due to reality being shitty kids trying to play it like action game and not like RPG they had to abolish their plans.

Ironmonk

Augur
Wishful thinking:

Maybe they are planning to retrofit their canceled MMO into a single/multiplayer game? (following Blizzard's path)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm so disappointed. Are these CCP people idiots? I don't get it. What do they gain by doing this?

The higher-ups at CCP are known to be near-sighted, ignorant, selfish, greedy and in at 75% of cases utterly incompent for their jobs.

I'll leave it to others to consider whether that is equal to being an idiot.

From what I gathered, the modders only contacted Activision and not CCP, they believed that the former held the rights to the game...which indeed is the case.

Is CCP really this desperate for cash that they're eliminating any and all avenues for others to benefit at CCP's expense?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom