Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Alkarl , consider doing an Arcanist as it's the most interesting build in the game. That's because it's more of a tinkerer/gadgeteer here than a "mage" like in Souls games. And it's also a difficult build to play, unlike Souls mages which are OP.

DLC bosses are more difficult than anything in the base game, definitely get it if you want a challenge.

If that’s still not enough there’s a well waiting for you with some friendly shark folk :D.
That well gives me nightmares to this day. Got 500 hours in the game and just ONCE managed to beat it.

Edit: oh, what did you think of Blood Crow of Cainhurst? Piss easy too? Hehe

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Edit: oh, what did you think of Blood Crow of Cainhurst? Piss easy too? Hehe

Yes, actually. I reached him with a +8 weapon (Logarius Wheel) and just like most of the bosses, the goal is to stay on top of him and keep him on the defensive. I parried him twice, but he mostly just let me get my slam on.

I had more trouble with the Yahar'ghul gank squad tbh, but then I discovered the beauty of a well timed Logarius charged R2 and just did that a few times.

Edit:
Alkarl , consider doing an Arcanist as it's the most interesting build in the game. That's because it's more of a tinkerer/gadgeteer here than a "mage" like in Souls games. And it's also a difficult build to play, unlike Souls mages which are OP.

Ok, maybe I'll do that to tackle the dlc also.
The problem I always run into with Souls games and magic builds is that they have slightly more utility than phys builds and I tend to play them the same way as phys builds, just with different stat scaling. For instance, in Dark Souls, I had a "mage" with 50 int running a +5 Enchanted Great Scythe with the same base attunement he started with.
I would imagine the same basic strategies would still apply though: press the offensive.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The problem I always run into with Souls games and magic builds is that they have slightly more utility than phys builds and I tend to play them the same way as phys builds, just with different stat scaling. For instance, in Dark Souls, I had a "mage" with 50 int running a +5 Enchanted Great Scythe with the same base attunement he started with.
I would imagine the same basic strategies would still apply though: press the offensive.
This is exactly how it works in BB, and its arguably even more effective since you get to convert all your damage into flame/shock as appropriate to the elemental weakness of your current foe (no foes are notably weak to physical iirc). And to back it up you also get various strong spells.

Silva

Arcane
Alkarl , that's how it works in BB too, only here you don't have the OP long range artillery for cheesing, so you're forced to understand and utilize gadgets like molotovs, torches, flamers, blood gems, arcane tools* etc. which is pretty satisfying. And really, running around in university professor attire and cane is prestigious as fuck.

*PS: well, some arcane tools may get pretty powerful late game, but that needs such a high Arc stat investment that's usually not plausible in a single playthrough.

Alkarl

Learned
I assumed as much. I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't find any tools that would allow infusions/mods for upgrade paths, and kept looking for them. Then I came across my first arcane% gem and slotted it to test it out, it killed my AR by moving the weapons damage over to arcane. Kind of cool as a system and having to test it out to even discover it. I like stuff like that.

So, Silva are you suggesting a mostly tool reliant playthrough? That could be interesting, especially since I know next to nothing about their utility. And you suggest pimp cane as weapon? Transformed doesnt have a charge, but that range is pretty nice.

Black Angel

Arcane

Silva

Arcane
I assumed as much. I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't find any tools that would allow infusions/mods for upgrade paths, and kept looking for them. Then I came across my first arcane% gem and slotted it to test it out, it killed my AR by moving the weapons damage over to arcane. Kind of cool as a system and having to test it out to even discover it. I like stuff like that.

So, Silva are you suggesting a mostly tool reliant playthrough? That could be interesting, especially since I know next to nothing about their utility. And you suggest pimp cane as weapon? Transformed doesnt have a charge, but that range is pretty nice.
Well I think the most satisfying would be a pure Arcanist, due to the initial difficulty/challenge. But an hybrid would also work, as there's some neat Arc+Str (Tonitrus, transformed Logarius Wheel) and Arc+Skl (BoM, Burial Blade) weapons around.

What you must have in mind is that the Arcanist is all about exploring weakness. "Is that a beast? [opens suitcase] Hmmm.. oil, molotov and serrated weapon.", "Kin? Electricity and pointy sticks", "Pthumerian? Arcane", etc. (I like the Saw Spear for beasts, and the Cane for everything else myself, but depends on your build).

Ultimately a pure Arcanist may do some powerful stuff with tools late game, but for that to work your Arc must be minimum 50 and it's recommended going well above that, as most arcane tools scale better from 50-99 range (different from weapons, where the soft and hard caps are 25 and 50). There's also the Cauliflower man glyph in the DLC, which transforms you into a half-Kin with bizarre arcane powers if you beat the requirements for it (it's opposite to the beast man transform glyph for physical builds).

If you really go for it (regardless if hybrid or pure) your first priority is look for a elemental gem, as they convert a weapon e entire damage to the gem's one (and makes it scale with Arc in the case of elemental). There's one at the end of that ghetto shortcut (the one below the Church Workshop, where you descend a big hole and face a horned beast), and another one in an early chalice dungeon (it's on Watchdog I think).

Let us know if you try it.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Alright, got the Dlc last night. Started working on setting up that Arc build you mentioned Silva. Spent most of my time still messing about in Chalices on my ng+ char and finally hit the dlc a couple hours ago.
Enemies are fun. I dont think we needed more blood ticks, but they are easy so whatever. I like fighting the mad hunters and the cthulu giants.

I beat Ludwig. I'll admit, he killed me twice, once because I ran outta stamina chasing his ass, and second when I first saw his second form, he MGS R2'd me immediately, thanks to cut scene repositioning. I didnt find the battle all that interesting though. First off, Ludwig appears to be an homage to the Dunwich Horror character of Thomas Wately, in design at least. He's got the head and hands of a man, but is quite an amalgam of shit everywhere else. The problem I have with him, and other, similar boss designs, is that they are just a pile of flailing shit. He's like fighting the Prisoner Horde from Demon's Souls. A lot of these bosses are like that, tbh.

Anyway, on to the next one.

Edit:
Living Failures and Maria RIP
First one is a bit of a joke. Second one, well, Maria isn't a bad fight, she comes off as more of a straight hunter fight and as such is very susceptible to stun locking. Thought she was gonna kiss me in the cutscene, lol. Finally got my whirligig up to speed so used that on the first half of Maria and then swapped back to my cleaver to lock in the kill before she got too feisty. No deaths.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Ludwig is kind of a typical Bloodborne boss reversed since he is a flailing beast in the first phase and starts fighting with a more composed and precise style in the second phase.

Alkarl

Learned
What's that terrible, fishy odor? Welcome to Innsmouth! Oh, I see.

If that’s still not enough there’s a well waiting for you with some friendly shark folk :D.

That well gives me nightmares to this day. Got 500 hours in the game and just ONCE managed to beat it.

Found your fucking well.

I hopped down that thing with giddy joy, sure I was gonna crush it just like the rest.

I was wrong. They've killed me 5 times now.

Edit: Beat them after dinner. Fire paper plus whirligig. They came close on more than a few occasions, but just kite and poke when an opening presents itself. I didn't realize this was Dark Souls 2.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Beat Orphan of Kos, ng+ second try. Orphan was the best fight in the dlc, maybe the entire game, hands down. He has a wide and varied move set of both melee and ranged attacks, health pool is just deep enough to keep the fight from becoming stale, and he's pretty aggressive.

I understand I still need to beat Demon Firesage, I mean, Laurence, The Fire-st Vicar. Yawn. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe.

Falksi

Arcane
No matter how much I try, i just can't get hooked by this game.

Absolutely beautiful aesthetics & atmosphere, gameplay is fun, yet it just feels so boring wondering around this labyrinth of backstreets & fighting the same old enemies over & over.

And as I was fighting the first boss I noticed that I barely looked at what was going on on-screen, and instead just looked at my energy & stamina bar to time attacks/blood vials/rolls.

Sorry, but give me Dark Souls anyday.

Falksi

Arcane
It is dark souls

It just lacks those key elements which kept me interested in Dark Souls, and feels cheaper overall.

Almost every enemy I fought in the souls series felt significant, whereas here they feel very popamoley. And the level layout? Bleurgh! Continueously turning corners to find 0 of interest, and just anothe street or set of stairs. I die far less often because of the blood vile system, but just find myself spending far longer exploring bigger areas with little in them.

Such a shame because it's a great looking & sounding game.

Black Angel

Arcane
I think that with Bloodborne, From went pretty crazy with environmental designs and architectural details. There's so many shit you can knock off from its position simply by walking towards it, but at the same time I think they've put more subtly hidden shortcuts and alternative paths this way. For example, in just the first 5-10 minutes into starting a playthrough, once you got pass the first big mobs around a burning, crucified beast, there's an alternative path you can drop to around the first encounter with the crows, but it's so well hidden, you either have to observe it carefully or roll into them to discover it. Iirc, this path leads the place with so many caged dogs, and can lead to a shortcut from the first lamp to Father Gascoigne.

Silva

Arcane
It is dark souls

It just lacks those key elements which kept me interested in Dark Souls, and feels cheaper overall.

Almost every enemy I fought in the souls series felt significant, whereas here they feel very popamoley. And the level layout? Bleurgh! Continueously turning corners to find 0 of interest, and just anothe street or set of stairs. I die far less often because of the blood vile system, but just find myself spending far longer exploring bigger areas with little in them.

Such a shame because it's a great looking & sounding game.
The first half of BB - that is Yharnam - is considered on par with the series' best in terms of design, shortcuts, multi-paths, etc. Which makes me suspect your grudge is not with level design but with aesthetics. You simply seem to have a strong preference for mediavalesque aesthetics over victorian/urban ones.

Also, I can't see how the peasant and dog enemies in early BB are worst than early DS skeletons.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
whereas here they feel very popamoley
Bridge Werewolves will fuck your face the first time you encounter them.
Brickfists are easy to parry with your gun, but hit like a truck.
Hooded Halberd nigga wrecks everyone's shit
The basic enemies are the equivalent of hollows from Souls, and are pretty similar in difficulty.
Musket Slash is just an introduction to the game throwing ranged enemies at you - wait 'till you fight them again and they put Bone Ash in their matchlock and blow through 80% of your life because you were too busy concentrating on the dog trying to rip your balls off
Those screaming fuckers in the rafters of the sewers will absolutely shit on you if you mistime a single dodge and turn it into a 3 hit combo.
Ribbon Pig can and will 1 shot a Hunter that hasn't leveled Vitality at all

You've got a world of fun ahead of you with Brainsuckers, Flamethrower exorcists, and Sackbros. And if you have the expansion...I hope there are no glass objects nearby when you inevitably throw your controller because you ran into Axthulu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom