Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Yeah I just killed Amelia but didn't examine the skull, then did Hemwick and killed Paarl. I used the summon on paarl because the LP said he was tougher than you are normally prepared. That ended up being about the oddest fight I've had in a Souls game. I wasn't hitting him half the time because how skinny his hit box was but he barely hurt me wearing the black priest robe (I'm pretty sure I was overleveled too) and I ended up stuck inside him hacking away while the npc poured flame damage on him. But it's done, I talked with Djura and got the powder keg badge, then went into the forbidden woods and got lost as hell. I ended up with 90k echoes before I accidentally ran into the shadows of Yharnam which honestly weren't tough. I had a harder time with the skeleton lords from DS2 my first time. Now I'm at Byrgenwerth about to fight the boss. It's going to have to wait until I wake up tomorrow because it's nearly 3AM here but I've already explored the whole area so I can just make a beeline to the boss fight. I may take a detour to the clinic since I saw notes saying it was in the woods as well. I ended up not talking to Valtr because I was unsure how covenants work and I'm not sure how much I want to read up on them, otherwise I may spoil myself on something.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I may take a detour to the clinic since I saw notes saying it was in the woods as well.
You both should and shouldn't, but to go into details would imply some big spoilers.
Eh I'll give it some time then.

I ended up not talking to Valtr because I was unsure how covenants work and I'm not sure how much I want to read up on them, otherwise I may spoil myself on something.
Covenants don't work like in Souls. They fell more like something that was tacked on at the last moment just because. You can join them all, no problem, and freely switch between them simply by equipping the ring the covenant's rune.
Well that's straight up odd but fuck it I guess, I'll go talk to Lord Buckethead. Also, I think the DLC is now open so I may screw around in there for a bit. See if anything instantly murders me or not.

Silva

Arcane
What 80Maxwell08 said is one of the things I find cool in BB. The game is not really "open" but it always gives you a couple or more paths to pick at any given point in the game, and in a pretty organic fashion (no obligatory teleporting or nonsensic map transitions). It gives Yharnam a great sense of place that's only surpassed by Lordran imo. (never visited Boletaria with my own hands, sadly)

Imagine my agony having to traverse DS3 totally linear and teleport dependant world.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I'm now at 3 paths to choose from.

The main path is at Yahar'Gul where there's a bunch of constantly respawning enemies. I would probably have just gone ahead and done this if I wasn't stopped dead by 3 hunters who all aggro at once.
The second path is the nightmare frontier, which is full of poison but seems doable from what I've done so far. Fuck that one enemy tucked away that inflicts frenzy. Died like 3 times to it and lost over 50k echoes. Could have leveled up twice with what I lost.
The third path is by far the most interesting to me, the Hunter's Nightmare. The DLC. I know from social media that the boss is Ludwig and I know that after you kill him you can get the Holy Moonlight Sword. I want that sword bad. I've also heard he's hard as shit. I have enough blood stone chunks to get a weapon to +7 and possibly +8 if I explore the nightmare a bit more but if I do that I'll have to wait until I can get the moonlight sword up to that level. So I have to fight him with a +6 weapon if I wait which may leave my damage lower than I want. I can use summons but that also gives him more health and defence, which cuts my damage even lower. I don't know but I do want that sword a lot.

Still haven't gone back to the clinic but I have a quick question. Am I screwing myself over by having too high insight? I'm over 80 right now and I saw a comment on the LP I was watching with someone alluding to high insight being a bad idea.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
The enemies stop respawning if you kill the bell maidens. Be aware that some are quite well hidden. Hint:
You need to drop off a ledge somewhere to get to one of them, but you totally want to do that because it gives you access to the cage that contains the key to the door at the very top of the Upper Cathedral Ward
Huh so that's where that key is. I'll have to go back to it.

The Frontier is boring as shit. The only reason to do it is because the boss drops another story chalice. So, unless you want to do those, you can safely skip it. Also, if you ask me, the boss is pretty boring.
Well then I might just go back to it later just for completionist sake.

Ludwig has 3 summons. The 1st one - forgot the name - is fucking useless and should be avoided unless you want to make life harder for yourself and blocks the summoning of the other 2 NPCs.

The other 2 are actually Valtr and the younger (I think) Maderas twin. You need to join Valtr's covenant in the forest and equip the rune to have access to the summons. Valtr can be found in the river of blood where the corpse bangs on the gate (also, kill the corpse, it drops 3 vials every time) and the twin can be found in the cave behind the axe giant. Basically, these 2 can almost kill Ludwig on their own, Valtr is almost as much of a beast as Ludwig himself.

You can basically let them tank and draw Ludwig when they need to heal, the twin usually croaks it in the first phase, but Valtr, if you help him out, will last the whole fight since he has plenty of vials.
All right. Thanks for the advice with him.

Also, I presume you have good investment in Arcane, otherwise the Moonlight Greatsword is not going to do much good to you since the best thing about it are the transformed attacks which are all arcane (and use up your bullets).
My Arcane is all right, but now my interest is dead due to it using more stupid bullets. I already got rid of any idea of using the cannon because it uses so many bullets. Why would I want to use more of the resource that my parry is based off of. Also, I still don't like that parrying takes up a resource but I'm living with it.

That's bullshit. There are exactly 2 things insight does that are relevant to actual gameplay:

1. Some enemies get a couple of extra attacks - like the tall dudes with laterns in the Cathedral Ward which start shooting some homing missiles at a certain insight.
2. It massively decreases your frenzy resistance. This is basically a non-issue since:
a) There aren't that many enemies that inflict frenzy, and most of the need to hit you to do it, with the only notable exception of the Winter Lanterns and
b) you can grab tons of sedatives from the Lecture Hall and, like I said, the only really annoying enemies that inflict frenzy are the Winter Lanters - the shit that killed you in the Frontier. To mitigate this, keep sedatives on hand and equip armor with high frenzy resistance (I think Djura's armor set has the highest values - the Ashen Hunter set).
Ok that works. Then I'll hold on to it a while longer.

Well I finally killed those hunters in Yahar'Gul after trying to lure one out 3 times. Thankfully only 2 would come out when I lured from the main entrance out front. Got a bunch more blood chunks too. Almost enough for a +9 weapon. Still undecided for what to upgrade since there's a bunch of weapons I don't have just yet. I still like the Beast Cutter and Tontitrus a lot so I may go for one of them.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
80Maxwell08 , later tell us how your adventures went.

And I suggest you try a pure arcane sometime (maybe on your third or so playthrough). It's hard at first, but gets awesome mid to late game.
Still jumping between things. I beat the One Reborn, then hit up the clinic and was not expecting to find her pregnant. Also did all of Cainhurst and went to Alfred to give him the summons. Did a couple of chalice dungeons as well and tried finishing off Eileen's quest. Fuck the Crow of Cainhurst. Holy shit if this guy could be summoned he could solo bosses. I'm about to try one more time with the Knight's Set so hopefully that helps.

If/when I do a second playthrough, I'll probably go Bloodtinge since it's the one stat I've basically done nothing with.

EDIT: Finally killed the Crow.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well now that I've played around with the Blades of Mercy a bit I now have my second +9 weapon. The Beast Cutter is my main weapon and does a lot of single hit damage at a decent pace, and the Blades of Mercy hit for less but come out much faster to stunlock more human enemies. I've had a problem with some enemies hitting faster than my Beast Cutter but now that's taken care of. I'll figure out what to do next after I get back from work.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
While I still screw around a bit on my main guy, I made a bloodtinge character and got them to Cainhurst as soon as I could. Now they are completely fucked in the main area because all those fucking bloodsucking beasts being way more aggressive than my main playthrough. This is going to take a while and a ton of patience so I'm going to screw around in the DLC just a bit. Maybe long enough to grab the whole old hunter set and that's it.

Silva

Arcane
While I still screw around a bit on my main guy, I made a bloodtinge character and got them to Cainhurst as soon as I could. Now they are completely fucked in the main area because all those fucking bloodsucking beasts being way more aggressive than my main playthrough. This is going to take a while and a ton of patience so I'm going to screw around in the DLC just a bit. Maybe long enough to grab the whole old hunter set and that's it.
You don't need to kill the bloodsuckers. Just cruise past them to the main door. Though Martyr Logarius (the boss) can be a pain if you're underlevel. I suggest calling someone to help.

How about the lore? Soon you should start developing your own crazy theories about the hunt. :D

Vorark

Erudite
Could you guys help me out? Got a couple of questions:

1) These damn bell maidens in Unseen Village. Any way to permanently kill them? I died at the boss and to my surprise they respawned, ughh.

2) Is there any place to farm blood stone chunks? Could only get my Axe to +7 and Ludwig's Sword to +5. :|

3) Are Chalice dungeons worth it? I have access to the Pthumeru one, but I'd be playing offline. I'm around level 55.

4) I noticed STR only increases by 1 point after hitting 25, I believe this is the soft cap. Worth spending more points in STR or am I better off dumping everything in VIT and END?

Murk

Arcane
So uhh the current state of le legendary OnlyAfro

25a29928ba9c07c1fc61a2f4ba6253be.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So now I have 3 characters I'm jumping between.

My jack-of-all-trades except bloodtinge character, also my main, who just beat Ludwig and got the Holy Moonlight Blade I've been wanting, then not wanting, and now really like. He is about at the beginning of the Upper Cathedral Ward, at the part of the DLC right after Ludwig and can enter the Nightmare of Mensis at any time.

A Bloodtinge character to try out the stuff my first guy didn't/couldn't use. Decently fun and at Cainhurst so she could run to Logarius at any time and join the Vilebloods to get the Chikage.

An Arcane character who is now right outside Ludwig but is a far lower level than when I fought him with my first character. I'm probably going to try fighting him in a moment with the summons in the area but I'm not expecting to do it in one try unless I get really lucky.

I'm having fun with all of them, though I should get back to my main at some point and beat the game at least once. Still, I have a lot to do so why not have a couple of side characters to not get burned out.

Silva

Arcane
Playing DS2 made me want to reinstall this. So I'm doing the only thing I've never tried before: a quality build for that Ludwig sword. With a Church hunter cosplay.

Amy other interesting quality weapon besides the sword?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Playing DS2 made me want to reinstall this. So I'm doing the only thing I've never tried before: a quality build for that Ludwig sword. With a Church hunter cosplay.

Amy other interesting quality weapon besides the sword?

Beast Claws are p cool if you get the beast rune to go with it.

Hyperion

Arcane
There are only like 4 single stat weapons in the game (Wheel, Blade of Mercy, Bowblade, and Rakuyo). I guess you can count Bloodletter as well, since it's Strength or Blood, but never both. Most Dex weapons will benefit more from leveling Strength to 25, then going 25 to 50 in Skill (unless you have the proper Gems to give more Dex scaling). For pure AR. Ludwig's Holy Blade is unmatched, and can break 1,100 AR with the best gems. That said, the Stake Driver is a funky little weapon, and can give you huge numbers to admire, but that charge attack takes forever and a day to land. Saw Spear gets some nice phantom range, akin to Katanas from DS2. Most importantly, both are obtained extremely early and can be enjoyed for almost an entire playthrough. Beasthunter Saif is a PvP favorite, and rather popular, so I assume you've used that already.

Silva

Arcane
Chikage is also single stat.

I heard the multiplayer is crowded again after the ps+ giveaway this month. I'll try a 80 blood level twink to help/rape some noobs then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom