Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Just found out that Alfred is a tough fight. Not on Bloody Crow level, but that Wheel of his hits very hard and has super-armor.

Perkel , I think your enthusiasm may go down a bit the furher you advance. That's because IMO the first third of the game is arguably the best. There is nothing as good as Central Yharnam and Cathedral Ward areas for example (I dare say Central Yharnam is GOAT contender for best map in the series), and the initial plot drive may get murky and confusing as the game goes on. The DLC helps to make the 2 last thirds of the game stronger, though, so I reccomend getting it when you can. Anyway, keep us updated!

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah by parry i meant with weapons not shooting someone in face. I see now that there isn't any weapon parry.
Some weapons can parry, but still by using its shooting ability. Like the aforementioned Rifle Spear, and some other weapon.....

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
C&C is representation of GM interacting with player.

Everyone fucking points D&D books and systems but they fucking forget GM. GM and players are what makes RPG not which systems they are using. Interaction between GM and players is what makes something RPG or not. Better or worse RPG isn't due to system used but experience of GM or wait for it... wealth of choices presented by computer game to player (emulating good GM).

Computer RPGs TRY to recreate that interaction between player and GM by building scripted interactions.
RPG. Role Playing Game. It requires GM and players or representation of GM in form of script or something and players.

On other hand you have Heavy Rain game which is totally RPG as game presents you shitload of meaningful C&C (i don't talk about button presses), The Void/Tension that gives you complete freedom not only in how to tackle events but also which ending even could be said is "good" and few other not named RPG because progression mechanics were not something developers had in mind. While Heavy Rain is shit generally The Void is one of the best games ever.
I've played The Void/Tension/Turgor, and without commenting on the quality of the game (which is a separate issue from which genre it belongs to), the fact that you call it an RPG is an excellent example of my point about people seizing on one particular aspect of RPGs and insisting on using that one aspect to provide a definition of the genre in contradiction to all game mechanics. Though here you're slipping between using story-based C&C as the single criterion defining RPGs (Heavy Rain) and using non-linearity as the single criterion defining RPGs (The Void); I don't recall The Void having much story-based C&C beyond choosing which girl to help, though it's certainly an extremely non-linear game in terms of structure. If you're now using non-linearity in overall structure as the sole definition of an RPG, then the only reason not to include games such as Civilization or Master of Orion as an RPG would be that you aren't playing a character (which itself is an additional criterion), and you would certainly need to include games like Sid Meier's Pirates! or Megaman --- while dungeon-crawlers would largely be excluded from being RPGs.

As for story-based C&C, here we see the replacement of actual RPG mechanics, especially those that can be performed relatively well by computer games (tactical combat, logistics in exploration), in favor of something that is not only extraneous to RPGs but that is also performed quite poorly by computer games, given the lack of flexibility and extemporaneity in any game controlled by the strictures of a computer program relative to a tabletop game governed by human decision-making. Attempts to use scripted interactions to provide story-based C&C result in the denigration of actual game mechanics in favor of CYOA-style picking choices from a list. Using this as the sole criterion of RPGs would not only add many games from disparate genres but also a multitude of things that aren't even games to begin with (Choose Your Own Adventure, Interactive Fiction), while excluding most games with RPG mechanics on the grounds they either lack story (Rogue, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, etc.), have no story-based C&C (most JRPGs and many other RPGs with a substantial amount of story), or have too small an amount of story-based C&C (the Souls series, including Bloodborne).

Perkel

Arcane
Did two chalice dungeons. Pretty cool but i am guessing that randomness sooner or later will get old. Tried to play co-op with friend in chalice dungeon (because no story) BB coop is as broken as DaS1 on pc without additional community software. You need probably pray to gods to make it work.

Perkel

Arcane
co-op is for fags. fight like a man

Doing only chalice dungeons co-op. I play rest solo.
Got caught by fuckers with sacks. Fucking awesome location and DAT fucking music. Also those messages around doing gods work for establishing lore. To bad i am not roleplaying killer now.

Silva

Arcane
The most awful experience in any Souls game is co-oping with mics on and talking and coordinating like a fucking rainbow six game. This KILLS the immersion and experience for me. So much so last time I helped a friend online I demanded we put mics off and used gestures to communicate. Like a sunbro would do.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok binged a lot today. Finished BB. Got ending where i kill German and beast eats me (?).

Took me about 30 hours to beat it. I tried to find out secret places etc. without any gamefaqs and i did manage to find few locations but i think i didn't do DLC as i couldn't find where that fucking cart to that castle was (searched whole Hemwick like 2 times and nothing) Imo thanks to level design and Demon's Souls lamp system it is by far best Souls game in that area. Every new location is more or less maze.

From boses i played all of them are fun and interesting to fight but only like few are hard. Compared to DS3 Bloodborne is like easy mode. Especially DS3 DLC completely shits all over bloodborne bosses in therm of deficulty, hell even some normal DS3 mobs are way harder than some of the bosses in BB. Especially final fight against Gherman. Though this might be due to my weapon of choice RifleSpear which R2 attacks is insanely long which means that for 99% of game i was using charged R2 attack from far away

First archstone is full of lamps but i feel that those 3 next archstones contain only like half the lamps so i will replay game again in near future and try to find everything.

Chalice dungeons i did like 3. Gonna leave that for next playtrough.
I uses one umbrical cord and had second but forgot to use it. I am guessing this is for one of the endings as i saw that white chick screaming and shit at moonlike lake while other white chick just vanished when i tried to get her that second cord.

OK as far as atmosphere and theme i think this is pinacle of souls.games. After DS3 i was tired of souls for a while but BB was just super fresh when i played it despite some things being the same. Especially loved how city was changing after various events/timeofday, like when i killed that silver haired chick in gran cathedra and those huge dudes stopped walking around. Game also just oozes with atmosphere everywhere and graphics are level above DS3 to point where DS3 feels bare compared to BB.

Gear wise i am pretty baffled that i only managed to find like 10 weapons and 8 guns. While weapon trasformation essentially "doubles" that count you can't get that feeling off your head that this is way to small. This is especially important when there is loot in game. 99% of loot in game is trash which kind works against level exploration in BB.

I love gem system in this game. Runes are just rings. Liked how you could totally switch weapon from phys damage to fire damage with one gem.

Imo this game is at level of Demon's Souls when it released. Breath of fresh air to souls formula. Sodestepping is the future and i hope stupid rolling will e out of souls games by next game.

Fuck Iosefka that bitch (amazing event)

On my next playtrough i will probably play dick so i will try resolve that basement girl sacrifice.
I had npc follow me to few places but along the way she disappeared. Didn't manage to find Henryk though.

Perkel

Arcane
The castle is not the DLC.

1. Kill Vicar Amelia to unlock the Forbidden Woods.
2. Go to Iosefka's clinic through the back door in the Woods.
3. Get the unopened summons from the clinic.
4. Go to Hemwick and kill the witches.
5. The place where the carriage appears is near an obelisk where you fight the 2 Executioners - the big guys with the axes. Must kill the Witches.

Fucking hell i was searching all over that fucking cart and here you say you need to be close to that fucking obelisk. Ehhhhhh.

You really didn't play the DLC, did you? :smug: Prepare for rape.

well we will see about that.

Is getting into DLC hard ? IDW to read spoilers.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You missed a LOT of stuff, including most of the weapons.

If you want to get into the DLC, here's how;
-Defeat Vicar Amelia and use the skull like you normally would
-Return to the Hunter's Dream and get the item waiting for you
-Go to Oeden Chapel and take the exit to the left into the area with all the graves (not back to the area where you fought Gascoigne)
-Get grabbed by the monster
-Congrats, you are now in the DLC

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
If you go to the DLC when it first becomes available, be sure to keep a bucket next to you to hold your rectum when it inevitably prolapses from the frustration of getting obliterated.

Fuck those axe assholes.

Imo this game is at level of Demon's Souls when it released. Breath of fresh air to souls formula. Sodestepping is the future and i hope stupid rolling will e out of souls games by next game.
Couldn't get into fatso souls 3 after that, although BB would've really benefitted from double the framerate and lower input lag. You should try Nioh next to keep things similarly fresh.

Perkel

Arcane
*dreams of Bloodborne at 60 FPS*

Yeah it would be good to play it in 60fps.

Created second character. Doing arcane build this time. So far i have one tentacle spell and it is much better than any gun, essentially doing charged attack like damage and outright flattening mobs.

BB is interesting when it comes to quicksilver bullets. When you play arcane blood showers you so you can use a lot bugging for those +5 to bullets essentially having sort of mana like system tied to HP. When you use that buff you have period of time where you can refil that damage which makes it great stuff mid fight where you most need those bullets at risk of getting killed.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you're doing an Arcane build, you will want to consider getting Arcane way above 50 which is where the other attributes hit the 2nd cap. AFAIK a lot of the "spells" continue to scale quite well after and some have good scaling up to 99. Also, keep in mind your tools, like Molotovs, also scale with Arcane so don't neglect them.
Eh, not really worth it unless you are going NG+. Arcane build is still mostly about the weapons, but you use fire/lightning gems instead of doing physical damage. In part this is because the spells (and weapons that by default scale with arcane) tend to deal arcane damage, and fire/lightning is always superior to arcane(almost every enemy, including bosses is weak to fire or lightning which lets you shred things like crazy). Way more worthwhile to spend those extra points on health or stamina.

Note that the arcane scaling most weapons have does nothing unless it gets an elemental gem or deals base elemental damage. Most good elemental gems are also fairly deep in the chalice dungeons iirc.

Also gun is better for parrying than augur, although augur's knockback lends it to many cheezy uses against enemies that are susceptible to knockback. The other spells are mostly crap...

source: I beat game and dlc with arcane build.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The other spells are mostly crap...
Just to nitpick, but maybe they're crap because you didn't invest enough in arcane? :)

Like I said, I didn't play too much with arcane, but I've seen some videos of people fighting bosses only with the arcane tools and doing good damage against them.
Well ok, that is a bit harsh but it's mostly true:
Arcane buff: useless, since you will be using elemental weapons and it can't be used together with that.
Augur: good
Executioner gloves: overpowered against certain bosses, otherwise way too slow and expensive in qs bullets.
Soul arrow: eh, it's ok
Star explosion: This thing always just missed with (almost) everything for me and takes a year to cast.
Tiny tonitrus: idk didn't use this one too much, quite good against some bosses I guess where you can nail them multiple times with one cast.

That's all the spells I can remember, but I'm probably forgetting one.

It's possible some of the meh ones become better than weapons at like 80 arcane or something, but I still think hp/stmina is better in NG. Also this whole "spells get good at maxed arcane" stuff reminds me way too much of similar saying of int and spells in ds3 and in my experience it wasn't true there either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom