Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

sullynathan

Arcane
Got invaded fr the first time and it was lol-worthy. We waved at each other then I lured the guy away from he bonfire then turned and he started attacking with what i assume is a bleeding weapon, but I dodged. I ended up killing him with the lords sword, this fag was healing too.

Anyway, I ran through and completed the frost castle area. The boss there is now the best so far in the game, beat him first try. I liked his flying attacks and his mix with magic.
Gonna go back to Byrgenwath now.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
First try? Congrats.

I think my favourite boss creature / area is Micolash. A perfect mixture of hectic & thoughtful. With a few secrets thrown in.

sullynathan

Arcane
Man rom was a tough son of a bitch. Can't believe his spiders do so much damage.

I've made it to Yar village and man is it the toughest area in the entire game. I died like 5 times against the trio of hunters inside there and afterwards I don't know how to progress.

The giant mass of eyeballs keep killing me when they gank and I found a portal that teleports me to another side of the village but it doesn't seem to lead to anywhere special either. I also lost 30k+souls now which is the most I've lost so far.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Rom is an awesome fight. In my case From achieved something I rarely experience: I am so methodical in patiently deconstructing all the small spiders, avoiding their attacks, making sure I see when exactly Rom does the missile attack so that I start running in exactly the proper direction, that in the last phase I JUST CANNOT BEAR THE TENSION, break down, go for it and die.

Also, I always fight him alone, somehow the 'help' usually isn't help.

That teleport is useful, explore more. And in that area gaining 30k+ souls is a matter of minutes, right?

sullynathan

Arcane
I'll end up having to farm, for a third time again I'm left with a little amount of blood vials.
This new healing system is one of the worst changes in Bloodborne from the usual Estus flask healing.
I also hate the shitty bonfire. It males farming even more tedious than it should be.

I did beat rom on my own. The only boss I've fought with a summon was the dark beast and that's because I stumbled upon him and thought he'd be difficult. It doesn't help that at certain times of the day, it seems like there aren't any players at all in this game for Co-op.

I still don't have a real clue how invasions happen. At first I thought that you needed to use a bell first to open yourself up to being summoned but in the forbidden area I was invaded.
Also, I hate the simplified Co op thing where the game forces you to be as weak as the person you are summoned by.

I do like how the game has handled it's optional areas, they're hidden to the point that I didn't find some of them without a wiki.

Anyway, that's enough for my rambling now. I have the odd feeling that this game might have more good - great bosses than the previous souls games I played.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just buy those items that teleport you back to the lamp and reset the area. Makes farming easier than hopping back and forth between the hunter's dream. And it's a good thing you never played DeS if you hate the healing system in Bloodborne lol.

sullynathan

Arcane
Alright so I beat the game finally. No boss took me more than 3 tries except Ebrietas which took me 5 tries and the help of a summon. Gehran was the final boss and I have to say that he was the hardest final boss of the four souls games I've played. He killed me twice before I killed him, which is more than Soul of Cinder, Nashandra or Gwyn ever did in my first playthrough and my victory against him was very close. I literally had one blood vial left. I don't know if I was underleveled, but I was level 81 when I beat the game. My favorite weapon ended up being Ludwig's Holy sword, carried me throughout the last half of the game and the shock baton was helpful.

The games level design is fine overall, there is no bad area in the game like lost Izalith, the level design isn't consistently mediocre like Souls 2 and it feels like there's more optional areas than Souls 3. There was no location that I would say wowed me because after beating three souls games before it, I've pretty much seen what the series has to offer so far.

The game had 7 standout bosses which is far more than the other souls games. Those bosses were
  • The Witch of Hemwick
  • Shadow of Yharnam
  • Martyr Logarius
  • Rom, The Vacuous Spider
  • Ebrietas, Daughter of The Cosmos
  • Gehrman, The First Hunter
  • Mergo's Wet Nurse
I still think Dark Souls 3 did large bosses better than Bloodborne but some of the later large bosses were great. Ebrietas is strong as fuck.

The best areas for me ended up being
  • Cathedral Ward ends up being the standout location of the game. Its the closest the series has gotten to having Dark Souls 1's looping leveling design.
  • Hemwick Charnel Lane
  • Central Yharnam
  • Nightmare of Mensis
  • Forsaken Cainhurst Castle
I am somewhat disappointed by the games use of the lamp and the farming for healing. It breaks the loop of the past games with having to use a bonfire to regain healing nor are blood vials as cheap as life gems in Dark Souls 2. I also don't know how lively the online community is for this game and started to notice how much harder it was for me to find someone to co-op with as I passed Gascoigne. I do not like the use of the bells compared to the signs of the souls games, it doesn't allow me to pick who I want to play with nor how many people I want to play with. It also doesn't seem like the game did much or anything with the covenants compared to the souls games.

I will say that I don't want another Bloodborne game and I am happy that FROM is leaving the souls games behind. They have thoroughly explored this series, its game mechanics and its level design well enough for me even with their shortcomings. Other companies are making souls clones and souls inspired games and they are tackling them in somewhat new ways. FROM can move on to newer and hopefully better things.

I will play NG+ on my current character and fight the certain bosses 1-on-1 (Ebrietas, Paarl and Mergo) but the rest will be in co-op because its more fun. There's also a bunch of stuff that I missed since I never fully upgraded any weapon. Hopefully they took some notes from Souls 2 and added different content for NG+. There are also weapons and covenants I didn't find and I didn't play the chalice dungeons so I'll get to that.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Go for the DLC. It's very solid.

Although the first area it's a little rehashed form a main game area, it's good and ends with a good tough boss.

The next area has very good level design, and atmosphere, and an epic boss that is not very hard.

The final area is hit and miss, but it's quite challenging, and the final boss it's the harder boss in any souls game. I played the DLC on NG+, and that motherfucker beat me like a bitch. He is very aggressive, makes a lot of damage, and cheap/random at times, but the fight it's intense as fuckkk. I needed like 50 tries to kill the fucker, that was the time I hated the heal system the most.

I think you will like the DLC if you want a challenge, regular low tier enemies are way tougher that main game ones, and the bosses are intense and/or very good.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The Bloodborne DLC is easily my favorite DLC From made so far. It doesn't really have any hiccups in term of quality, and the new weapons they added were amazing. Also the runes to turn yourself into a beastman or the infamous cauliflower alien may be fun things to try if you want to remix the gameplay a lot more than usually possible.

Elwro

Arcane
The Nightmare of Mensis is a rare example of a late-game area which is consistently great, fresh, and full of secrets. In general I'd say I applaud the approach of creating fewer, but better crafted areas.

As for NG+, some stuff in the chalice dungeons is meant to be tackled there (they are kind of separated from the normal game flow), although I'm sure there is a person from Japan who achieved all that's possible to achieve there at character level 1. In general, I'd say the chalice dungeons are a good idea, offering some features which are nowhere to be found in the 'regular' game. If you start the chalice dungeons in NG+ they'll be boring at the beginning, but this'll quickly pass ;)

sullynathan

Arcane
how do I tackle the Chalice dungeons? I have heard that there are bosses in the game that aren't in other areas. I also am able to make 3 different chalices. Another thing, after fighting Gehrman I am surprised this game didn't have more hunter boss fights.

Elwro

Arcane
There are some hunter fights which are not so easy to find.

As for Chalice Dungeons, have you been to the church in burnt Yharnam?

Silva

Arcane
Yup, Hunter and humanoid fights are the best in my opinion. But don't worry, the DLC is full of hunters to duel. There is one in every corner.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I'll end up having to farm, for a third time again I'm left with a little amount of blood vials.
This new healing system is one of the worst changes in Bloodborne from the usual Estus flask healing.
I also hate the shitty bonfire. It males farming even more tedious than it should be.

Something it took me far too long to realise is that if you have healing vials in storage they will automatically refill your stocks every time you die. So you can farm souls instead, buy heaps of healing potions and put them straight into storage and have them automatically refill. At about half way through the game (or maybe earlier?) this becomes much faster than farming potions and the cost is negligible compared to levelling up.

But it is a shitty change.

sullynathan

Arcane
OK so I'm testing the multiplayer part of Bloodborne. Apparently Co-op is limited to only having 2 partners unlike dark souls 3. It also takes longer to find and summon players with the bell than the signs of dark souls 3 even with the use of passwords. There is also no level requirements from what I've experienced to play pvp or Co op.

The big thing I already dislike is how the game gimps your stats no matter if you're summoned by someone at a higher or lower level than you are. I've also heard from other people I played with that invaders get 30% less health which I am assuming that's where dark souls 3 got that bs.

The game lags more than souls 3 and it still has that poor hit detection.

I also started the chalice dungeons. I'm not sure if my characters is op but the two dungeons I've done one at depth 1 and depth 2 have been really easy, I'm one shotting most enemies and easily killing bosses. I'm level 100 by the way.

My question is then, which chalice dungeons are necessary to be done. What's the difference between a root chalice and a normal chalice dungeon?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My question is then, which chalice dungeons are necessary to be done. What's the difference between a root chalice and a normal chalice dungeon?

Normal chalice dungeons are the vanilla dungeon. The default ones. They're always the same for every player in every playthrough. Root chalice dungeons are the chalice dungeons but with new zones, enemies and bosses that are generated randomdly, Diablo III like. There's some that have cool stuff (Secret enemies, and powerful gems). They're not necesary to complete the game, but if you are going the completist way that I'm currently following, I think you should complete every normal one. There are exclusive bosses for most of them, and again, powerful gems. They're the only reasons to play them IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/Rinku_95/status/816128179693907968?lang=es

https://twitter.com/Rinku_95/status/816153726507425793?lang=es

Those are the famous dogwatcher and Amygdala from deep 4 that are always presented as the hardest bosses of the game? Because despite some shenaningans, they're actually easy. The only true hard thing was having the half of the overall VIT, which is not very much considering how cheesy is that choice in terms of design.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Also, in case of some of those bosses killing them leads to unique equipment not obtainable otherwise, like that cool wizard-like outfit name of which I forgot. You don't need to get particularly deep to get it.

(The equipment must be bought at the hub.)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Maybe this image can help somehow

WzWkpr8.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The big thing I already dislike is how the game gimps your stats no matter if you're summoned by someone at a higher or lower level than you are. I've also heard from other people I played with that invaders get 30% less health which I am assuming that's where dark souls 3 got that bs.

Nope. Once again a game mechanic that you don't like that originated from Demon's Souls, although it was much harsher there. Your HP could get cut by 50% if you died and the only way to invade others was to do it in soul form.

sullynathan

Arcane

Nope. Once again a game mechanic that you don't like that originated from Demon's Souls, although it was much harsher there. Your HP could get cut by 50% if you died and the only way to invade others was to do it in soul form.
Your hp could get cut by 50% if you died while invading?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom