Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Approaching the end of my second play through. Beast claw with Embrace rune is pure awesome. Finally killed Orohan of Kos (gave up on him in my first play through). And man, I had forgotten how creepy and atmospheric Upper Cathedral is. I'll have nightmares with those brain suckers.

This time I've found the second half (post-Vicar Amelia) much more enjoyable, while first half felt linear and restrictive.

By the way, I don't know if I find this game better then DS 1 (probably not), but it certainly feels more addictive and exciting to me in a way that DS1 wasn't. Going to my third play through straight, and only now I'm getting a bit tired, while DS1 I gave up right in the first time somewhere after Lord Vessel and only finished it when I came back some time later.

nomask7

Arcane
Approaching the end of my second play through. Beast claw with Embrace rune is pure awesome. Finally killed Orohan of Kos (gave up on him in my first play through). And man, I had forgotten how creepy and atmospheric Upper Cathedral is. I'll have nightmares with those brain suckers.

This time I've found the second half (post-Vicar Amelia) much more enjoyable, while first half felt linear and restrictive.

By the way, I don't know if I find this game better then DS 1 (probably not), but it certainly feels more addictive and exciting to me in a way that DS1 wasn't. Going to my third play through straight, and only now I'm getting a bit tired, while DS1 I gave up right in the first time somewhere after Lord Vessel and only finished it when I came back some time later.

Hmm, other than the chalice dungeons, I like the first third of the game the most. The chalice dungeons are hard to remember, because they're similar to yet different from each other, so they feel fresh every time. All of the game is fucking IMMERSIVE though, even on my third character.

I find it somewhat disappointing that you pretty much have the beast bosses in the BEGINNING, then you start having alien bosses and whatnot, so when you find good fire gems in the dungeons, your arcane build doesn't really have much use for them because at that point you've already killed pretty much every beast boss except Vicar Amelia. Well, I guess there's Bloodletting Beast in the dungeons, that fucker, maybe something else challenging too.

Anyway, it was fun ass-raping Amelia with a holy fire blade. I wish there were a few more of similar bosses before the aliens abduct the show. This was the first time I've beaten her solo (not that it was hard or anything). But what now? I'll have to switch to bolt now, a bit of a downer.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Finally got the Platinum today. After killing defiled Amy I burned through the last chalice and killed the Queen in one go. Nothing could stop the onslaught of my Holy Moonlight Sword.

Silva

Arcane
Hmm, other than the chalice dungeons, I like the first third of the game the most. The chalice dungeons are hard to remember, because they're similar to yet different from each other, so they feel fresh every time. All of the game is fucking IMMERSIVE though, even on my third character.

Yeah, the first third of the game reminds me of Dark Souls 1 and its maps folding over themselves in crazy unexpected ways. I think my problem with it is that Yharnam feels.. claustrophobic, I think, in a way that Lordran doesn’t . Then you reach Amelia and maps lose that “folding over themselves” property a little, but as there are more maps to go at any one time, and they get a change of theme (losing that Yharnam claustrophobic quality), it ends up pleasing me more.

But yeah, immersion is one thing this game does in spades. And style. This game is stylish as fuck.

I find it somewhat disappointing that you pretty much have the beast bosses in the BEGINNING, then you start having alien bosses and whatnot, so when you find good fire gems in the dungeons, your arcane build doesn't really have much use for them because at that point you've already killed pretty much every beast boss except Vicar Amelia. Well, I guess there's Bloodletting Beast in the dungeons, that fucker, maybe something else challenging too.

Anyway, it was fun ass-raping Amelia with a holy fire blade. I wish there were a few more of similar bosses before the aliens abduct the show. This was the first time I've beaten her solo (not that it was hard or anything). But what now? I'll have to switch to bolt now, a bit of a downer.

I was about to agree here.. till I went back to game and faced Bloodletting Beast, Abhorrent Beast and Loran Darkbeast in the Ailing Loran chalices. Perhaps when I get to Isz chalices the beast will have ceased, but at this point, Fire gems/infusion is still pretty useful. (Edit: anyone have a tip for Loran Darkbeast in the Loran chalice ? I´ve tried some 5 times and got not even half its health).

Oh and I raped Amelia ass with a fire Saw Cleaver + Oiled Flamesprayer . It felt soooooo goooooood.

Silva

Arcane
Got to Isz chalice. Pretty cool and atmospheric with those little galaxies and nebulas floating around.

On the other hand, Defiled Chalice is such a fucking bullshit. It must be the most bullshity bullshit in the entire series. Its making my kidney stones come out from my ass. After the 10th try against the big hat fire lady with different weapons and attired, I killed in a most lazy way, simply rushing and beastclaw locking her in a corner until death. But I'm stuck on that Watchdog now. Motherfucker one-shot me with jumps and sprints. Any tips ?

Silva

Arcane
Killed doggy last night. Almost got it on first attempt but died, then only killed it on 15th or so attempt. Shit was tiresome, but at the end I knew all its moves by instinct, and it was satisfying.

Now, here it comes Amygdala.

Edit: Oh alas, from Lower Loran down shit is gets really intense, huh ? The game throw some tough mobs at you, forcing some amazingly intense bouts where you barely escape all fucked up and adrenalined. Last time with my beastboy and Madman Wallar my friend we faced a mob of inferno hounds and that fire watcher lady and spiders and wolves all in same room with my life halved because of Defiled Chalice and everything could two shot me and almost died and 2 vials left and I roared and cut em down and dude... It was SO INTENSE. These 4/5 depth late chalices really feel like you're delving deep into the bowels of HELL man, its fucking Victorian VIETNAM MAN! I NEVER FELT THIS WAY IN OTHER SOULS GAMES BROS! THIS IS THE SHIT!

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Killed doggy last night. Almost got it on first attempt but died, then only killed it on 15th or so attempt. Shit was tiresome, but at the end I knew all its moves by instinct, and it was satisfying.

Now, here it comes Amygdala.

Edit: Oh alas, from Lower Loran down shit is gets really intense, huh ? The game throw some tough mobs at you, forcing some amazingly intense bouts where you barely escape all fucked up and adrenalined. Last time with my beastboy and Madman Wallar my friend we faced a mob of inferno hounds and that fire watcher lady and spiders and wolves all in same room with my life halved because of Defiled Chalice and everything could two shot me and almost died and 2 vials left and I roared and cut em down and dude... It was SO INTENSE. These 4/5 depth late chalices really feel like you're delving deep into the bowels of HELL man, its fucking Victorian VIETNAM MAN! I NEVER FELT THIS WAY IN OTHER SOULS GAMES BROS! THIS IS THE SHIT!

Haha great write up. You described perfectly the virtues of the Chalice dungeons.

It's obvious that they have flaws like become repetitive, and have poor rewards in them, spoiling some of the exploration, but thanks to the fun combat system, and intense and hard encounters, some of them become a highly enjoyable dungeon crawling experience.

Also, fuck the defilled ones, 1HK bullshit is no fun.

I'm glad they included in the game, people a lot of times complain franchises don't try new things, and this idea is very interesting and no so poorly implemented to hate it, in my opinion.

With more variety, better loot than ritual materials as almost the best rewards, and a better implemented COOP experience (and no need of PS+), this could had become great stuff and increased the player base (and sells). It would have been a massive success in PC.

Lios

Cipher
Most probably I'll never play this, since no PS generally, but I;'ve spent an unhealthy amount of time watching LPs and reading the lore and theories about the story, Moon Presence etc.
Seems like a serious addiction, this game.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so i finally got a ps4 and bloodborne.

got the cleric beast on first try, but gascoigne is kicking my ass.

i gotta say i'm not a big fan of the dualshock 4 analog sticks, thumbs are constantly slipping off those things.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dualshock 4 controller needs some wear and tear to become comfortable. Gotta wait for your fingers to rub away the texture a bit and make personalized grooves. Of the 3 starter weapons, the axe is without a doubt the most powerful. Insane regain because it's considered blunt, good stagger power, sweeping attacks, spin to win, functions well in tight corridors when wielded in 1h and pretty damn quick to boot. It has all the positives of the Dark Souls straight swords, and all of the positives of the halberds. It makes Gascoigne's first phase into a complete joke. And parrying the attack where he drags the axe along the ground is cake.

Phase 2 is tougher, but there's a special item that can be used to interrupt him once for some free hits. He has a jumping-like ability that can be parried easier than the rest of his attacks, but it's obviously riskier than the rest to pull off. If you suck at parrying, just use the bullets for some free damage in between his combos. It adds up if you use the pistol.

nomask7

Arcane
so i finally got a ps4 and bloodborne.

got the cleric beast on first try, but gascoigne is kicking my ass.

i gotta say i'm not a big fan of the dualshock 4 analog sticks, thumbs are constantly slipping off those things.

I'll try not to spoil too much, but did you find the item you can use to put him into a haze several times during the battle? If you're having insurmountable trouble with the boss, that item might help you get through it. Once you meet the boss on your second playthrough and pay a little more attention and parry better etc., he will be easy enough.

nomask7

Arcane
Ignore this faggot, using the music box is something a cuck does.

He asked for tips, presumably because he wanted to get forward in the game and not be stuck on the second boss fight for the rest of his life. I provided those tips, alas not every noob can be as awesome as you, and he doesn't need to use the item if he doesn't want to, but it's there if he'd rather use it than throw in the towel. Now fuck off before I cut off your limbs and feed them to your ass, little try-hard manboon.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Also, using that item is not so trivial, and the person(s) it is connected with can seemingly be meaningfully interacted with. (The ridiculous passive in that sentence is to contrast with the active nature of the game, or, no, I'm not editing that just because I see sometimes that I'm just not a really good English speaker and frankly my day has been quite bad and i should probably get back to work enjoy your game folks and don't dismiss the Chalice dungeons.)

nomask7

Arcane
Do you always come off as a little faggot when you post? Sorry, I didn't realize you were such a shitty player. I bet you had to summon to beat rom, you little bitch.
What's your fuckin' psn, if you don't have a platinum trophy you're out of here

You sound like a narcissist. Let's keep in mind you attacked me for offering help. Your first message had no content other than "everyone who doesn't play like me is a faggot". Now you continue in the same high tradition of posting some complete nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. You need to get your head checked, you probably have a narcissistic personality disorder. Stop trying to act cool and start thinking what, if anything, it is that you are trying to say and stick to that.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
sad to say i needed 7 tries for gascoigne.

i guess this games philosophy is that if you are not always on offensive you die. can't say i'm a big fan.

sullynathan

Arcane
Alright Bros, I bought Bloodborne for $10 on the sale.

I've played the game before and beat father Gascoigne but back then Bloodborne was my first souls game.

Now I've beat dark souls 1 - 3 and I'm going back into it. Wish me luck. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom