Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It'd be silly if the two weren't related at least. It is unkown if she was responsible for building Yharnam or if it was just named after her, however. I'm not sure if Queen Yharnam is even a human either. The Pthumerians seem to have been some kind of different humanoid creatures. I thought Queen Yharnam looked like she did because she's a ghost, but after seeing the Pthumerian Descendant it seems that they all might've been pale with black eyes.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For Kin bosses such as Rom the explanation could be that they exist in multiple planes of reality and if you kill them in one place they don't truly die because they still exist somewhere else.

nomask7

Arcane
The main problem I found with the chalice dungeon rewards is that the good bloodgems are only important for online PvP. For the base game it's just overkill, and not only that, but you also get a shitload of echoes from the deeper dungeons so not only are your weapons becoming monsters but your levels are going to skyrocket as well. Like I said, it would have been better as a colosseum for boss rushing where the reward is the fight itself, instead of having to slog through the same boring 10 or so room layouts.

Don't you like get into Loran and Isz dungeons almost at the end of the game? So we're talking about building your character for final boss battle basically.

The Pthumeru dungeon you can get in early game, but it barely gives you any blood echoes for a long time, if ever. I think I got halfway through the Pthumerian dungeons, and I still wasn't getting blood echoes in notable numbers - and the dungeon had become pretty fucking hard, so we're talking late game again.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the supposed imbalance problem you're talking about.

nomask7

Arcane
Chalice dungeons are more palatable if you do them one or two at a time and then return to the main game, rather than trying to binge through them all at the end. The main problems are the lack of variety in the layouts and rooms, and the lack of worthwhile rewards until very late when you start getting blood rocks and powerful blood gems.

Another weirdo post. What would you consider worthwhile rewards for early and mid game? Being able to one-shot a boss?

And why the fuck would anybody do them all at the end?

From what I can tell from this conversation, they're a great feature that add a lot to the game but whiners make up bullshit about them so they can whine.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The main problem I found with the chalice dungeon rewards is that the good bloodgems are only important for online PvP. For the base game it's just overkill, and not only that, but you also get a shitload of echoes from the deeper dungeons so not only are your weapons becoming monsters but your levels are going to skyrocket as well. Like I said, it would have been better as a colosseum for boss rushing where the reward is the fight itself, instead of having to slog through the same boring 10 or so room layouts.

Don't you like get into Loran and Isz dungeons almost at the end of the game? So we're talking about building your character for final boss battle basically.

The Pthumeru dungeon you can get in early game, but it barely gives you any blood echoes for a long time, if ever. I think I got halfway through the Pthumerian dungeons, and I still wasn't getting blood echoes in notable numbers - and the dungeon had become pretty fucking hard, so we're talking late game again.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the supposed imbalance problem you're talking about.

The final battles are, sadly, one of the easier fights, even without the crazy powerful gems. Not necessarily by design but because of power creep going into full gear by that point. And you don't get lots of blood echoes by the halfway point of the Pthumerian dungeons. Try the deeper dungeons like Isz and you'll be getting blood echoes in spades, however. Or don't, because they are still the same boring shit ass dungeons.

The chalice dungeon gems are also useful for something else not mentioned: New Game+

This is a good reason, although I did NG+ just fine without them. I did not go all the way through NG+ so I dunno if they become more important later on.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This is a good reason, although I did NG+ just fine without them. I did not go all the way through NG+ so I dunno if they become more important later on.

If you try to use 22+% gems in NG+ it's doable but tough. I'd imagine the DLC would be a nightmare.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

If you try to use 22+% gems in NG+ it's doable but tough. I'd imagine the DLC would be a nightmare.

I can't imagine doing NG+ Orphan in any way possible. Normal Ophan was enough for me.

Hyperion

Arcane
All Chalice dungeons needed to be more fun was better co-op implementation. But multiplayer was mishandled all around in Bloodborne, so it's to be expected.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Chalice dungeons are more palatable if you do them one or two at a time and then return to the main game, rather than trying to binge through them all at the end. The main problems are the lack of variety in the layouts and rooms, and the lack of worthwhile rewards until very late when you start getting blood rocks and powerful blood gems.

Another weirdo post. What would you consider worthwhile rewards for early and mid game? Being able to one-shot a boss?

And why the fuck would anybody do them all at the end?

From what I can tell from this conversation, they're a great feature that add a lot to the game but whiners make up bullshit about them so they can whine.

:butthurt:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'd play through some chalice dungeons if I didn't have to waste time farming materials in the lower level ones to access the higher ones. Shit's just too tedious.

nomask7

Arcane
You guys sound like - what's the word? Nerds. For normal gamers, the chalice dungeons add to the game and are nicely done. If your whining included some solutions (other than remove chalice dungeons), it'd probably be appreciated, but you're just whining for the sake of whining, not even implying any sort of betterment. It's morons like you why Bloodborne 2 probably won't have any chalice dungeons, just a straight path from beginning to end of story. What a shame.

nomask7

Arcane
I'd play through some chalice dungeons if I didn't have to waste time farming materials in the lower level ones to access the higher ones. Shit's just too tedious.

Not a fan of roguelikes?

The dungeons are about as interesting and varied as they can be in a development project that didn't last for 10 years or something crazy. These people have to stay within the budget.

Maybe they could be better if some sort of singularity AI had gifted From Software a perfect random dungeon generator. Doesn't mean they're bad, or that they don't add a lot to the game.

Heck, you're complaining that grinding - which is entirely optional - gets boring after a while, but without these dungeons, how boring do you imagine it'd get then? THEY ARE NOT A BAD THING.

EDIT: I'm not sure what you're talking about re having to grind for access. So far, I've always gotten the necessary materials just by completing the previous levels in the dungeons. I wouldn't call that grinding, and that's dozens of dungeon levels completed. Still not bored. Maybe this is just not the game for you?

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Once you move onto NG+ you can buy all of the dungeon materials IIRC.

Hyperion

Arcane
Once you move onto NG+ you can buy all of the dungeon materials IIRC.

Chalice dungeon difficulty is also completely independent of your NG cycle.

You guys sound like - what's the word? Nerds. For normal gamers, the chalice dungeons add to the game and are nicely done. If your whining included some solutions (other than remove chalice dungeons), it'd probably be appreciated, but you're just whining for the sake of whining, not even implying any sort of betterment. It's morons like you why Bloodborne 2 probably won't have any chalice dungeons, just a straight path from beginning to end of story. What a shame.

Pretty sure it would be the other way around. Normal gamers want the straight path and for their hand to be held, no? I mentioned it earlier, chalice dungeons just needed to have a larger push for multiplayer in them and they would have been awesome. But when your game reduces the maximum Life of all Phantoms, only enables PvP at the sound of a bell, makes Passworded PvE difficult and clunky, and only allows a friends in a chalice dungeon if you've both already completed it once (I forget the actual stipulation, but it was something weird and overly restrictive), the incessant dungeon crawling aspect gets boring fast.

Edit: This might not be a popular opinion, but if all of the chalices for later dungeons were found within the dungeons themselves it might be more enjoyable. To sort of create a game within a game, if you will.

nomask7

Arcane
Pretty sure it would be the other way around. Normal gamers want the straight path and for their hand to be held, no?

That's not the dichotomy I was implying. I didn't mention anything about hand-holding. These games don't hold your hand anyway, no matter how straight the path.

The problem with some of these internet wanna-be critics is that they play these games like it's some sort of professional sport that they have to master, and when everything in them doesn't cater to their needs, they start whining. Is there any game of this type that is better than Bloodborne? No? Then shut the fuck up, or give some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I fucking hate retards who have no sense of the consequences of their blatherings.

I mentioned it earlier, chalice dungeons just needed to have a larger push for multiplayer in them and they would have been awesome. But when your game reduces the maximum Life of all Phantoms, only enables PvP at the sound of a bell, makes Passworded PvE difficult and clunky, and only allows a friends in a chalice dungeon if you've both already completed it once (I forget the actual stipulation, but it was something weird and overly restrictive), the incessant dungeon crawling aspect gets boring fast.

Who the fuck even has multiplayer for this game? You need a monthly subscription to play PS4 games online, who bothers with that? If From is/were phasing out multiplayer in these games, they're doing the right thing. Souls games always made more sense as single player games rather than something where you summon people to take care of all the challenge in the game (i.e. boss fights). Now granted, PvP might be considered a compensating challenge and the meat of multiplayer in Dark Souls, but when From has to do things like remove poise from DS3 to make PvP anything like balanced, you just know without even playing online that it's a bunch of nerds doing nerdy shit that shouldn't even be in the game.

Edit: This might not be a popular opinion, but if all of the chalices for later dungeons were found within the dungeons themselves it might be more enjoyable. To sort of create a game within a game, if you will.

I wouldn't mind that. In addition to allowing a game within a game, you'd get the opportunity to empower your character more richly for boss fights like the Shadow of Yharnham.

Hyperion

Arcane
The problem with some of these internet wanna-be critics is that they play these games like it's some sort of professional sport that they have to master, and when everything in them doesn't cater to their needs, they start whining. Is there any game of this type that is better than Bloodborne? No? Then shut the fuck up, or give some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I fucking hate retards who have no sense of the consequences of their blatherings.

Haha, go take a look at any Souls related sub-communities. You'll get used to it fast, else you die an early death from a massive aneurysm. These games typically attract a ..... special.... form of person.

Jolly cooperation has always been a major feature of these games, though. Ever since Demon's Souls. It just so happens it wasn't released on the PC because of Sony's rights to the game. I wouldn't blame From for Sony becoming greedy and following Microsoft's online model.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Not a fan of roguelikes?

The dungeons are about as interesting and varied as they can be in a development project that didn't last for 10 years or something crazy. These people have to stay within the budget.

Maybe they could be better if some sort of singularity AI had gifted From Software a perfect random dungeon generator. Doesn't mean they're bad, or that they don't add a lot to the game.

Heck, you're complaining that grinding - which is entirely optional - gets boring after a while, but without these dungeons, how boring do you imagine it'd get then? THEY ARE NOT A BAD THING.

EDIT: I'm not sure what you're talking about re having to grind for access. So far, I've always gotten the necessary materials just by completing the previous levels in the dungeons. I wouldn't call that grinding, and that's dozens of dungeon levels completed. Still not bored. Maybe this is just not the game for you?

Just FYI, it's not really successful trolling if you write 5 paragraphs in response to one. Thought I'd let you know. That is, of course, on the optimistic assumption that you aren't just terminally stupid.

PS. Chalice dungeons are shit.

nomask7

Arcane
Just FYI, it's not really successful trolling if you write 5 paragraphs in response to one. Thought I'd let you know. That is, of course, on the optimistic assumption that you aren't just terminally stupid.

PS. Chalice dungeons are shit.

Anybody who whines about games online to the extent you do is shit. I wish I were a psychologist so I could diagnose the exact nature of your retardation. Don't you have a sense of dignity you fucking loser? Of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't piss on the things you love. Fucking abomination, I wish I could hang you and shit on your corpse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom