Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood - From the workshop of Kevin Kilstrom, Plus mods/maps/launchers thread

tormund

Arcane
I started playing Bloody Pulp Fiction, since I needed something to remove the taste of Blood 2 from my mouth. http://bpf.deathmask.net/
I'm at the fifth map right now (it's based around Children of the Corn, and it looks p nice too). and I am liking it so far. Visually, it could give Bloodlines and Death Wish maps a run for their money. Difficulty is closer to DW, if not even harder... Only thing I disliked so far was the snow in the opening map, since it raped the framerate in outdoors sections. It made some trickier sections almost unbearable, like walking across narrow ledges while fighting cultists and gargoyles near the end.

PS desert town map contains a nice treat for MST3K fans.;)

Riskbreaker

Jace goes on with his teasing:
http://www.twingalaxies.com/content...Live-Again?s=9714c3ac6a7035909a5add81f2646cd9
So anyway, I started to wonder if perhaps there might be enough interest out there in seeing this truly revived?

Perhaps its multiplayer BLOODBATH could even evolve to an eSport! ;)

Maybe someone should start a crowd funding campaign to gauge and prove interest?

You see, Monolith sold the publishing rights for Blood and its sequel to GT Interactive. GTI was later acquired byInfogrames, which has since been renamed to Atari. Over the last 15 years, Atari has been divided, bought, sold and reconfigured numerous times. Monolith itself was acquired by Warner Bros. Entertainment, which now theoretically owns the Bloodtrademark and intellectual property.

But the truth is that the rights status and the entire history are a bit complex and basically there are around 3 people on Earth who truly understand that complexity, none of which are currently at Atari or WB.

Since it is my name and signature that is on all the Blood related contracts and deals - assuming a large enough crowd funding effort, I know I could help move the needle on this. But do enough people care?

Things that make you go hmm..

ArchAngel

Arcane
I care!! I want to see Blood receive the System Shock KS treatment! To this day I remember Blood as one of the most fun deathmatch MP experiences and singleplayer was fun as well.

tormund

Arcane
I care... for either "official", commercial port, or for Blood's source code to be publicly released.
I don't think I want some sort of a sequel or reboot considering how things are these days (and it seems like that is what he is aiming at).

Astral Rag

Arcane
I care!! I want to see Blood receive the System Shock KS treatment! To this day I remember Blood as one of the most fun deathmatch MP experiences and singleplayer was fun as well.

I would pay good money for a good source port (something like EDuke 32 or xDuke would be grand). Vanilla Blood can still be played online just fine though and BloodBaths are still as fun as they ever were. Just find some monocled friends, install Blood and Yang, set paths and you're good to go.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Another WIP (dead?) project

BuildSharp is an application, currently in development, that can read from and utilise assets from Build games and be used to generate games via a scripting language. Developed in C# and using XNA (but planning to move to MonoGame when able) The primary focus is on the Build game "Blood" as it is currently one of the main three Build games (the others being Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior) that has not had it's source code released. This site is still quite new, so please check out our Facebook page for details of our development so far.

https://sites.google.com/site/buildsharp/

tormund

Arcane
If the fella wants to get some crowdfunding he should bundle No One Lives Forever into that too.

NOLF is too much of a legal mess.

In this case Hall probably has some behind the scenes info and confirmations that he is in position to secure Blood rights, but needs money and right kind of push.
"truth is that the rights status and the entire history are a bit complex and basically there are around 3 people on Earth who truly understand that complexity, none of which are currently at Atari or WB.
Since it is my name and signature that is on all the Blood related contracts and deals - assuming a large enough crowd funding effort, I know I could help move the needle on this."

Let's see what is going to happen in following months... I just hope that he won't get involved with Devolver and Flying Wild Hog if there is any other way to go on about it (since they already showed interest in Blood, and I really don't want to see FWH touching Blood)

From my understanding of the whole Monolith situation I thought all the rights of their various franchises were caught up in the same limbo.

I would pay good money for a good source port (something like EDuke 32 or xDuke would be grand). Vanilla Blood can still be played online just fine though and BloodBaths are still as fun as they ever were. Just find some monocled friends, install Blood and Yang, set paths and you're good to go.

I'd some what hesitantly put my money on the XL Engine being the one that makes Blood live again.

tormund

Arcane
The Cult episode is progressing nicely, he finished four maps so far
http://www.blood.freeminded.de/index.php?section=episodes&id=527
http://www.blood.freeminded.de/index.php?section=maps&id=546
http://www.blood.freeminded.de/index.php?section=maps&id=549
They're all solid maps that aren't too difficult and feature impressive level of detail. Third map in particular looks almost like newer eDuke map, but that sadly means that framerate is sometimes abysmal (especially at some points inside the village). Fourth one has more reasonable detailing but it also introduces some annoying gimmicks, like the unkillable zombie at start and black & white areas that make all enemies invincible while they are in them...
They're worth trying IMO, or you can just wait for the finished episode (hopefully existing maps will receive some polishing until then).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
FWH touching Blood
That's some first class nightmare fuel right there.

Was new SW really that bad ?
It was alright on its own, but it shows that FWH does not understand what made old Doom clones like Blood and Shadow Warrior work the way they did, and instead they took it in another direction. I appreciated the expanded swordplay, but the guns just felt underwhelming and level design was mostly mediocre.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
LOL at the amount of wasted paper in the "One Unit Whole Blood" box.

That box is HUGE...and it contains 2 CD's, some jewel case-sized pamphlets and a postcard?

tormund

Arcane
So, looks like this is really happening then.

I just hope that he will be reasonable with his goals if he really ends up doing KS for port/rerelease. Blood fanbase might be dedicated, but I don't think that it is in any way big.

grudgebringer

http://www.twingalaxies.com/content.php/4192-Blood-Should-It-Live-Again

Blood - Should It Live Again?
by
Jace Hall
Published on 06-05-2016 09:15 PM
attachment.php

Behold - You are looking at the mock up prototype WHITE box for the shareware version of the 1997 PC Game called "BLOOD." (It was eventually decided that the box should be black.)

I found it in some of my old Monolith stuff.

I believe it is the only one of its kind.

Finding this box, got me pondering again - Should effort be put into trying to revive the franchise?

For those that don't know, Blood is a first-person shooter video game developed by a company I founded called Monolith Productions and published by GT Interactive Software. The shareware version was released for the PC on March 5, 1997, while the full version was released on May 31, 1997 in North America, and June 20, 1997 in Europe.

Many feel that Blood was easily the best of the three major Build engine games, voicing the opinion that Blood was "one of the most underrated shooters of the whole decade” and that “Blood took its gameplay to sophisticated new heights and offered referential overtones with an even greater degree of refinement (than other similar games of the period.)"

For this feeling and opinion to last nearly 20 years through generations of gamers is a fantastic testament to the talent of everyone who was involved with bringing the game into existence.

So anyway, I started to wonder if perhaps there might be enough interest out there in seeing this truly revived?

Perhaps its multiplayer BLOODBATH could even evolve to an eSport! ;)

Maybe someone should start a crowd funding campaign to gauge and prove interest?

You see, Monolith sold the publishing rights for Blood and its sequel to GT Interactive. GTI was later acquired by Infogrames, which has since been renamed to Atari. Over the last 15 years, Atari has been divided, bought, sold and reconfigured numerous times. Monolith itself was acquired by Warner Bros. Entertainment, which now theoretically owns the Blood trademark and intellectual property.

But the truth is that the rights status and the entire history are a bit complex and basically there are around 3 people on Earth who truly understand that complexity, none of which are currently at Atari or WB.

attachment.php

Since it is my name and signature that is on all the Blood related contracts and deals - assuming a large enough crowd funding effort, I know I could help move the needle on this. But do enough people care?

Things that make you go hmm...

A horse of course

So what's the difference between this and his last failed attempt at cutting a deal for a re-release/port?

Riskbreaker

Well, difference would be that he somehow made NotAtari's thousand lawyers budge. Or, at least he thinks he did. Back when he was trying to do that re-release couple of years ago, NotAtari ended up pulling the plug on the project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom