Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blobbers: to puzzle or not to puzzle?

So how do you like your blobbers?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
not argueing with ya but why exactly is it "cheating"? the auto-map feature is only available when you turn on "remake" mode. if you play it in original mode there ain't no map. everything changes completely; it's not merely a wireframe makeover. menus, everything. no side-strafing, etc. you know, they actually did an incredible job including both the original versions and the remakes in those two ps1 discs.

for whatever reason the wiz 5 remake has some uuuuuugly assssss polygonal dungeons though in the remake graphics. i have no idea why they dropped the ball there as the polygonal dungeon graphics in the remake-versions of wiz 1-2-3-4 are, well not beautiful but they're WORTHY of being called a remake. but for whatever reason the wiz 5 dungeons look buttfucking ugly as hell.

of course if we're talking sheer graphics-whoring no version stacks up against the snes 2d art. WOW.

wizardry1-snes-02.png

look at that shit! look at daaaattttt. dem japs did good.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Only if the puzzles are well-designed. Trial-and-error and adventure-game-logic "puzzles" can go die in a fire.
i'm just gonna admit it here: i haven't blog-posted about my exploits in uukrul cos i'm puzzle-stuck and combat-stuck. game is fucking hard. not saying i won't resume it soon but for the moment i've gone back to replaying elminage to satiate my crawler needs.

uukrul ain't no joke.

If you read the CRPG Addict's post about the crossword puzzle, you'll find that even though he literally partakes in the American Crossword Puzzle tournament each year, he could barely figure out the answers, much less the aftermath. I mean, there is a reason this game is the ultimate "cult classic" of the genre, and it was put out by Broderbund, who I recall from memory was primarily an edutainment-type company (Mavis Beacon, The Print Shop, Number Crunchers), so it makes sense that their RPG would follow this suite. But what percentage of people (who even knew it existed back then) ever completed it?? It may not have been 1% as mentioned above, but I guarantee it was less than 10%. A poster in the comment section mentioned his grandmother actually helped him with the crossword puzzle to help him finish. In an age before internet, or any way to get ahold of a walkthrough, this game would have been the ultimate brick wall. But this is only the most extreme example. Blobbers are filled with almost purposefully near-impossible puzzles that seemed to require the hintbook that was unerringly advertised in the back of the manual, or possibly those tip hotlines where you could pay by the minute for individual puzzles.
I thought Uukrul puzzles were mostly on the easy side, with the sole exception of the crossword puzzle which was so much harder than the rest it's kind of absurd. It's the only puzzle in Uukrul that forced me to use a walkthrough. But as TigerKnee said solving the puzzle wasn't required to beat the game anyway.
Can you tell me what are some fun puzzles for you?

For me, I'd say something like Rattkin Ruins from Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Start to finish, basically obscure inventory item puzzles. Finding things in completely unrelated areas, and figuring out when you need to use such items. Sometimes it's obvious, a hole in the wall where a wooden dowel might fit. Sometimes, you could really be stumped until you experiment and try that featherweight potion.
Holy shit, there're people who actually liked the funhouse in Wiz 7??:retarded:

V_K

Arcane
in order to progress through level 2 you need to find a hacksaw that is NOT, i repeat and i stand by this statement, NOT HINTED at existing in order to cut the chains off a door. [...] you have to backtrack Aaaaaalll the way back to level 2 and FIND THE HACK SAW AGAIN AND DO EVERYTHING AGAIN THIS SHIT OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD FUCK YOU BRADLEYYY
:love::love::love:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can you tell me what are some fun puzzles for you?

For me, I'd say something like Rattkin Ruins from Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Start to finish, basically obscure inventory item puzzles. Finding things in completely unrelated areas, and figuring out when you need to use such items. Sometimes it's obvious, a hole in the wall where a wooden dowel might fit. Sometimes, you could really be stumped until you experiment and try that featherweight potion.

Didn't see this before now. Funhouse was the least fun area in Wiz 7 IMO. Bloody Adventure game puzzles...<fzzzz!>

Shin

Cipher
The only 'puzzles' I usually like in muh RPG's (not specifically blobbers) are riddles. Hard enough to make me scratch my head but not hard enough to make me feel like a fucking retard.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
bow down to your puzzle-god
bradley.PNG

[interview excerpts w/ Bradley]

Q: How did you get the idea for Bane's plot?
A: In a flash. Literally, just like that. Everything that I had thought of, all of my characters and sub-plots, fell into place.

Q: How did you become interested in computer programming?
A: I didn't become interested. It was an accident and then I got addicted. Now I can't kick the habit. I sat down in front of a computer and started typing some stuff. And I haven't stopped yet.

and this legitimately good bit of wisdom!

Q: What do you recommend to people who want to do what you're doing?
A: If you want to do something, you just do it. You'll learn all you need to know along the way.

V_K

Arcane
Shit, now I feel the urge to replay Wiz7, never finished it back in the day. And Legacy.
Anyone can lend me a couple of years?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
All too often puzzles are just tedious immersion breaking stuff seemingly put in a game to make it seem more intelligently built or to pat the player on the back and make him feel brilliant for solving something a rat can probably be trained to do in less than a day provided enough foodstuff.

"<powerful item> has been lost for <very long time> after <powerful historical character> <means of procuring/creating> it and locked it in <puzzle protected place>, but now it's your task to find it, it's the only way to save <location/people> from <doomsday scenario>!"
And then even despite being a minmaxed oaf with epic strength and the intelligence of a newly born lemming, within the next 15 minutes <charname> solves a puzzle that has baffled the wisest scholars and killed legions of glory-seeking adventurers the past <long time>.
Brilliant!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok back on topic:

i agree with mustawd and xzylvador.

in a true-blue dungeon crawler like wizardry the type of fed-ex go-hiking-and-backtracking type of puzzle and obtuse trial-and-error shit all just ends up detracting from the enjoyment that we, the players who relish the lean abstraction of tactical simulation unbridled in its minimalist purity of traditional turn-based first-person dungeon-crawling; we don't need _other stuff_ to add or distract us from what we came to put our hands on: dynamic and overlapping character development systems seamlessly integrated into a systematic and hand-crafted set of dungeons that each represent a metaphorical sandbox for the underlying systems to produce truly emergent gameplay in the contextual exploration of each dungeon floor and the acquisition of lovingly and thoughtfully curved itemization that never bottoms out but rather perpetually reinforces the simple depth emergent in the best moments of a dungeon crawl when the players' suspension of disbelief has been obliterated and his or her mind is feverishly negotiating the logistics of his party's adventure and the continual analytical management of the mechanical resources prevalent in the genre such as food, spells, weapons, hit points, randomized encounters and a small contingency perpetrated by the dungeon on the player in the form of attrition; the dungeon itself should always be the focal point that captures and lays out both in naked danger and subtle guidance and the challenge of navigating its contours in order to establish ownership and a sublime sense of reward and accomplishment in the player.

a puzzle or riddle that dispels this feeling for the player by jarringly gate-keeping further enjoyment of the 'crawl can at BEST be only an afterthought but unfortunately it will commonly be an annoyance. i believe the majority of the puzzling nature of the 'crawl should be comprised in challenging navigation, i.e. all that stuff i mentioned in previous posts, and not in Doom-keycards that unlock the next area's color-coded door.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizardry at its core absoluely has to revolve around a very SPECIFIC kind of resource management and the vancian spell system is one of the most essential parts in those games' DNA. there are also other things that are different for what might seem arbitrary reasons to somone not exposed to the more japanese influences; a very quick example being the traditional free MP/resting stables in wiz/elminage/etc. They like to challenge you but also they know when to throw the player a soft-ball so they can assimilate the games psychological pressures better.

wiz-clones are 100% all about those sweet, sweet fixed monster encounters PAIRED ALONG with a moderately conserved "random-encounter rate". the famous monster-doors if you will. when you analyze that type of design goal and what it's supposed to accomplish among the many conclusions one can reach is the simple fact that the game itself psychologically educates and controls you the more you explore its dungeons. they are absolutely brutal at the beginning with basically your first fights really being possible party wipes and that's totes normal; but if you stick with it you get the rhythm of the mazes and (i don't know how to explain this better) eventually you WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN A MONSTER IS BEHIND A DOOR. i don't mention that as some sort of negative, on the contrary what i mean is that the the vancian spells combined with the hand-placed encounters serve not to complement but to COMPLETE the wizardry-style mazes.

this is a huge part of the reason i loved (love) elminage series so much because it gets allll of those things down PERFECTLY. it is as wizardry-bred as any fucking wiz game itself. it's more so than even any wiz after wiz5 and onwards. i'm gonna stop writing here because i don't really have any legitimate points to make other than these observations but one final thought i have on this matter is the itemization: EO-type games (and you know exactly what i mean by EO-type) usually boast a fucking overabundance of loot but 70 percent of it are usually either materials/parts you need to "collect" (that is a very strong key-word there; EO has "collecting" ingrained in it to the bone) and usually you have to collect x amount of y crap or kill z type of enemies in x area or whatever. JRPG-ish stuff. you rarely see that in the west except in an even WORSE and more degenerate form in western mmo's. to finish up and give an eo 3 example: one of the most addictive things about the continual plundering of the dungeon floors in wizardry and in elminage is that you ALWAYS end up looking foward to the next battle; every battle means a chest, and every chest means a random chance of a great loot drop. Wizardry (and Elminage) don't utilize loot-by-monster drops btw, and not many people realize that detail and that is HUGE.

wiz-games utilize loot-by-dungeon-floor, not by specific enemy types. that means that you always want to keep going, you always want to see how low you can go so you can reach the best loot in the best floors. and you don't have to worry about things like "oh i want this item very badly but i have to kill this stupid stupid tough enemy 25 times in a row at least for a chance of it dropping it!" -- that does not exist in the world of wizardry-clones. loot comes after the fight, IF you manage to succesfully survive the high-stakes bomb--under-the-table scene that is disarming every single chest. once you disarm the chest you get the loot and the loot is GLOORIOUSS.... or your ninja fucked up inspecting the chest and your party just got teleported into a wall. Anyone who doesn't find having STAKES LIKE THAT to be PERFECT instruments for great, enjoyably adrelanine-fueled dungeon-crawling looting and surviving by the skin of your teeth. these elements, these "high stakes" scenarios of which thre are many more examples than just the chests are absent from EO3. i was disappointed when i realized that you do not getactual loot or gear after winning fights.

in eo 3 you fight to collect an amount of specific enemies "droppings" if you will so you can then take back to town and hand them over (sell them, etc) to the shop so they can un-gate the loot tiers little by little, a dribble at a time. just enough to make it seem enticing but not really. games like EO series usually heavily front-load the player with a vast amount of collectibles they can get or need to get but it's always incredibly stretched out; like droplets of water on the tongue. this is a direct difference to the core of itemization in wiz-clones where (usually) the design goal that is the eventual conclusion of hand-placed enemy encounters and a loot-system that lives independently of the game's enemies but is instead directly tied to the exploration of the dungeons serves to deliver BIG STUFF, i.e. EPIC DROPS or finnaaallly getting that class change you've been levelling for; or whatever, my point is that the player works hard and consistently to get consistently random results that are skewed in the high-end of the scale. there really isn't much "mundane" stuff in wizardry games. there's very little filler. everytihng has to be worked for but the payoffs come big and are character/class-defining and thus gameplay changing.

in comparison i found the skill point systems in games like EO 3, DQ 9 and recently 7th Dragon to be polar opposite models that seem almost intentionally designed to string you along on very weak and very un-felt level-up consequences. you get 1 million times more "points" to mold your char in EO than in any Wiz game (in Wiz you have zero control over what a level up brings), and yet ironically you literally have to spend the equivalent of 10 or 15 levels' worth of points to achieve an ability/class/result/whatever comparable to something that might be just a "tier 2 floor drop" in a wiz-clone. too many points and yet you barely feel like the character you're deeloping is growing at all everything is so unbelievably GATED and controlled by the game that the illusion of wild player freedom seems to evaporate. i've just never found filling out a skill tree to be even remotely as comparably addictive or mechancally enjoyable as the many ways wiz-games revel in their levelling systems and their character development. getting levels in wiz is BIG. in EO 3 it means oh look, i get to put point 3/25 towards unlocking "shield bash".

it's an unbelievably drawn out process and sure, it's a legitimate itemization alternative to trapped-chests but IMO it's an abysmally inferior one. anyway i have of course a million more thoughts about the differences in styles between these two pseudo-genres but i'm just rambling at this point.

- my thoughts from the main wizardry thread in jrpg forum regarding why the wizardry formula is IMO superior to most other blobbers (such as eo3)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the constant tension that is promoted by the lethal nature of early wizardries, such as the fact that winning a random encounter is the easy part and it is common knowledge that the real test of spirit is in surviving the potentially party-wiping trapped chest; the resource management + the lethality of the game's mechanics + the puzzling instrinsic nature of the well-designed dungeon layout + fixed-encounters coupled with RANDOM encounters = a continual feeling of literal adrenaline and fear and tension that dovetails gloriously with the unspoken promise of every dungeon crawl: the plundering depths of the unknown awaiting your party's skills.

this, THIS is the spell that a good dungeon crawl can weave on a player and i frankly cannot see any way in which a gated riddle or item-based fetch-puzzle or etc can do anything other than dispel it...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which again reads more like a roguelike than most of the blobber world. As was said before the early wizardries were among the first crpgs and not the pinnacle. I agree there's a huge different in early wizardries / the japanese clones and later blobbers but personally I prefer exploring places that feel "real" instead of huge mazes that are just mazes for the sake of being a deadly maze.

I guess it completely depends. If for you atmosphere is created through tension of the possibility of dying and losing 3 hours of progress that is understandable and cool, yet I get more of an atmospherical kick when the game immerses me in with puzzles and story like Wizardry VI. Unfolding the fate of the residents of the castle felt amazing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i will grant you without any reservations whatsoever that the castle in wiz 6 was the best area in the entire game and it was GREAT. i fully admit i felt several thrills of discovery and excitement when i found the goat mask and the dagger of ramm, and when you had to jump into the sacrificial pool. that was the highest my enjoyment was while playing wiz 6. the castle's layout is also very organic and it FEELS like a real castle.

i also distinctly remember the very first time i went to the top of the parapets and read the descriptions of the vistas; it made the world feel endless.

unfortunately it did not hold to that level of quality throughout, although of course even with as much as i shit on Bradley it goes without saying that wiz 6-8 are still like, 1 million times superior rpg's than 90% of the rpg's on the market. the only reason i bitch about them is because they did away with so many of the crucial elements that made wizardry... wizardry. honestly i don't see any reason why the kind of map design such as the castle, with its purple prose detailing the fate of its room and its denizens, and the chance meetings with the ghosts haunting its halls and all of that very good stuff can't coexist with a more hard-core crawler.

i would much rather have the castle area found in wiz 6 and all that it entails, in wiz 5, instead of the endless nonsensical NPCs and incomprehensible "puzzles". i've mentioned it before but it bears repeating: the key is balance.

the sophistication of bradley's area design, npc design and encounters and integration of puzzles both for loot (the shield, the sword of striking, etc), for story (the journal of the doomed expedition that died in giant mountain, the ghosts), and for critical-path progression (the Ramm stuff, hazard-area, etc) is leaps and bounds beyond the clumsy npc interactions and i fucking dare say outright BAD puzzle design filled with needless backtracking and needless player punishment found in wiz 5.

i have no problem with something that's well made.

atmosphere is a very complicating thing to talk about because it shares aspects from every facet: it is an abstract conceptualization predicated on subjective interpretation of any number of esoteric sensorial cues. the dark heart of uukrul doesn't even have any sound whatsoever and (although it is super hard) it is not a roguelike derivative like the early wizardries whatsoever and there are no exploding chests and none of the stuff i mentioned just now, yet it is overflowing with atmosphere and tension. it is mostly entirely achieved through expert textual descriptions. now, since this is not a book we are talking about but a game, the only reason this atmosphere in uukrul is achieved is because the player is engaged with its gameplay systems and its underlying mechanics. the player is keeping track of his food rations, and he is on the hunt for better gear in order to survive the increasingly difficult encounters, but he or she is also exploring an extremely detailed subterrenean world full of very interesting backstory, a few characters and i dare say a nifty plot as well. the entire game is shrouded in mystery from the the obscure way its magic system works via prayers to alien gods to the fact that the premise of the player's expedition is to follow the footsteps of a previous one.

...and i actually don't really know what point it is i'm trying to make right now.

edit: oh, i remembered what it was. all that stuff i just typed about how uukrul manages to achieve its atmosphere purely through the emergent gameplay of its systems? that's my big problem with the wizzes 6-8; with the casualisation of a few key elements, such as being able to rest anywhere, for example, and a ton of other minor and major changes to the formula it does NOT achieve the same thing as uukrul on the merits of its gameplay alone. it stands out in other areas, but it falls short where it counts in my opinion. all that said it's still a good game. the basic combat system is still recognizably wizardry and it is very enjoyable and, at least in wiz 6 (haven't played 7) there are still a few "dungeon" like areas to explore (the mines, for example), although unfortunately they are sadly bereft of any design complexity whatsoever.

heh, the only thing that allows me to keep telling myself i'm not insane for explicitely preferring classic wiz gameplay to all other blobbers/crawlers is the fact that the entirety of japan feels exactly the same way as me. make of that what you will!

for the curious as to the reception of wiz 6 and 7 in japan it was good, but i get the feeling (from reading shit on the internet lewl) that they paid attention to it mostly because of how obsessed they are with the first 5 games. all of the modern japanese blobbers that are wiz-derivatives, which is like 80% of them, are basically wizardry 5 version 2.0 + cherry-picked stuff from wiz 6 and 7 such as dual wielding, psionis, alchemy, and the furry races but nothing else.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
It really seems more like the quality of puzzles is the key rather than the quantity of them is the key factor.

Though even if quantity is the case, I definitely find myself thinking "Wow, I wish I were killing more monsters right now" a lot less often than "Wow, I wish battles weren't like half an hour apart and so rare compared to all the reading of prose I'm doing!" though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i keep thinking about the most primal draw to be found in in these games' gameplay, and it keeps coming back to character progression and loot acquisition. i don't want to admit that these games are just a different kind of skinner box.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It really seems more like the quality of puzzles is the key rather than the quantity of them is the key factor.

Though even if quantity is the case, I definitely find myself thinking "Wow, I wish I were killing more monsters right now" a lot less often than "Wow, I wish battles weren't like half an hour apart and so rare compared to all the reading of prose I'm doing!" though.

the main reason that i find continually seeking encounters in a wizardry-like game is because: combat yields loot, and combat yields character advancement. the most enjoyable aspect on a macro level is planning out your party build and the assortment of classes and dual-classes and triple-classes you're going to pursue as you play through the game. in order to get better encounters that yield better loot and yield more experience points you must explore the dungeon further. in order to explore the dungeon further you have to master it's tricks. see what i'm getting at? it's such a simple, simple formula and it works so damn well.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's not like puzzles don't fit into the play -> reward structure, there's a bunch of RPG puzzles where solving them gives you a reward of some kind.

Though they're usually in the odd position where your in-game character stats don't matter but your real life "intelligence" does when it comes to solving them - I wonder if someone will ever design a game where having a high intelligence character in the party means they notice more "hints" that helps in solving the puzzles

i don't want to admit that these games are just a different kind of skinner box.
Is this the Lovecraft Protagonist snapping moment of aweigh?

V_K

Arcane
I wonder if someone will ever design a game where having a high intelligence character in the party means they notice more "hints" that helps in solving the puzzles
I think DHoU moved a bit in that direction with some spells and prayers. But yeah, the mechanics of getting clues for puzzles in RPGs definitely could do with more love.
Would be even better if someone made a game built exclusively around such mechanics - an almost pure Adventure but with your character having skills (or more exactly expertises - stuff like languages, sciences etc) that are used to acquire clues.

Vagiel

Augur
I think the problem, if there is one with puzzles, is that many times they feel out of place and don't follow the rules of the game.

I would like to see puzzles that use your party and skills more. for example a wall that to break you need to damage it and pass it's damage reduction, the puzzle would be to figure out that bashing weapons do pass the DR or a spell like earthquake would shatter it completely. Or collapsing corridor that would require you to raise the speed of your party with spells to pass it in time (all turn based ofcourse).

When I see a door asking me a riddle I want to be able to identify it with a spell and then cast stone to flesh spell to by pass the riddle completely.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The more puzzles and map complexity, the better. As always though, it's critical that the puzzles be well designed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shit, now I feel the urge to replay Wiz7, never finished it back in the day. And Legacy.
Anyone can lend me a couple of years?

Start with VI (so you can get THE RING). Just do a VI>VII>VIII run through, it is incredibly rewarding. You might need to take a long break between games, as the random combat might start to grate on your nerves.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
V_K , have you played paper sorcerer? it's mixture of story, characters, and puzzles would definitely interest you. it's a gem of a game not many people know about really.

V_K

Arcane
V_K , have you played paper sorcerer? it's mixture of story, characters, and puzzles would definitely interest you. it's a gem of a game not many people know about really.
I did, I was one of the kickstarter backers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom