Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

roshan

Arcane
Jeremy Soule turned into complete shit right after IWD 1, and so on.

eat shit. He never declined. He still does musicfor TES but even if TES is shit his music is fucking amazing. He is the most consistent music composer of them all in gaming business.

He did OK with IWD, but everything afterwards was crap.

Another one that has turned to shit is Mark Morgan. Wasteland 2 and Stasis were boring and completely uninspired musically. On the other hand Josh Culler just killed it with Neo Scavenger and Underrail.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
http://www.killping.com/blog/diablo-4-rumors-and-release-date/

Hype hype hype!!! Diablo fans brace yourself, Diablo 4 is coming. It feels like ages since we’ve been playing the Reaper of Souls and while we were anticipating a new expansion for the game, Blizzard is however, giving hints of something far bigger. Last Blizzcon was the time when there were some announcements about a possibility but this year’s Blizzcon comes up with a new surprise. Blizzcon 2016’s goody bag received by many streamers and content creators give a hint towards the RPG’s next installment Diablo 4.

The goody bag includes the clichéd awesomeness from Blizzard, a hammer and a Diablo Dice bag. This bag includes a dagger weapon and a misprinted four sided Dice. Though not that big of a hint, but when we are already getting a lot of similar stuff that Blizzard clues in their FPS Overwatch, it all starts to make sense. Though, it might be misprinted considering the fact that theses goody-bag are given for free and are obviously mass produced; Blizzard however, has a long history of creating high quality content and something of this sort may not be just a mistake, atleast from Blizzard.

People are certainly desperate.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I really doubt they've put in any significant work on a potential Diablo 4 when they had planned for D3 to keep making them money via the RMAH.

Hyperion

Arcane
Yeah, that's the guy.
I don't get why people are praising him so much. Usually the games he works on have like 1-2, maybe 3 memorable tracks, the rest of the music is an incoherent, homogenous mess.

He did a pretty good job on Secret of Evermore for the SNES, which was (I think) his first soundtrack. Focused on atmosphere instead of the usual orchestral, "epic" shit you hear in Elder Scrolls. Right around the time of Dungeon Siege is when everything became the same old rehashed shit.

There's also some random guy remaking Diablo 2 in the Starcraft 2 Engine. Even though it honestly looks worse than the original imo, if he doesn't get hit with a Cease & Desist, it might be done by August 2020 or something.

Coma White

Educated
The goody bag includes the clichéd awesomeness from Blizzard, a hammer and a Diablo Dice bag. This bag includes a dagger weapon and a misprinted four sided Dice. Though not that big of a hint, but when we are already getting a lot of similar stuff that Blizzard clues in their FPS Overwatch, it all starts to make sense. Though, it might be misprinted considering the fact that theses goody-bag are given for free and are obviously mass produced; Blizzard however, has a long history of creating high quality content and something of this sort may not be just a mistake, atleast from Blizzard.

The whole dice bag conspiracy is LOL ludicrous. But can you really blame these people? Diablo III might be the most disappointing game ever made -- after four years the wounds STILL haven't healed for many of these poor sods.

Watch this is you want a better glimpse of how sad this all is.

Lostpleb

Learned
Diablo kind of died when it went too far away from it's Roguelike roots tbh

ArchAngel

Arcane
Probably a new version of Overwatch where you also collect loot and upgrade your characters :/

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
No matter what I have hard time believing Blizzard is capable of producing anything else than extremely streamlined games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No matter what I have hard time believing Blizzard is capable of producing anything else than extremely streamlined games.

Given that that's been their philosophy since the very beginning, I find it surprising that you feel the need to even mention it.

They'v been known to offer a polished experience, that's easy to get into but hard to master (as far as multiplayer goes at least). Alas, it hasn't been the case for the last, what? 8 years or so?

They should come up with something new already, Overwatch is surprisingly good and it's nothing like Blizzard ever did before (new ip and new genre to boot).

The fact that they are going back to David Brevik is a good thing, but it remains to be seen what this "advisor" role entails. Bill Roper is a bro and he also visited Blizz HQ recently.

Anyway, I'm one of the greatest cynics when it comes to nu-Blizzard and I profoundly dislike Diablo 3 on a fundamental level. I hope they can make a better game than that.

edit: Brevik is a no go, he's working on something else.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If Blizzard wanted more Diablo III, they'd have just continued to churn out more expansion packs. But perhaps they wanted a clear change in direction and went straight with D4. They would be retarded if they just turned D4 into another gaudy MMO, so I keep my fingers crossed.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm proud to be the adviser for the game that pushes this genre to new heights.
2T3XuK0.jpg

Mazisky

Magister
"There has been a lot of speculation (and hope), but I'm not working on the Diablo franchise currently or in the near future."

David Brevik, 2 hours ago.

Btw at Blizzcon they will announce 2 new pets for Diablo 3, don't lose hopes!

Suicidal

Arcane
Diablo 3 was honestly one of the most boring games I've ever played in my life. No character customization, loot with standardized stats and barely any unique bonuses, completely level scaled world. I started the game as a sorcerer zapping my enemies with my ice beam spell and I finished the game doing exactly the same thing except it took longer and longer to kill stuff. The only time when I woke up from my boredom-induced coma was the final expansion boss, the death angel. That was actually somewhat tense and interesting.

I think hack'n slash games like Diablo live and die on their loot and character customization systems because without that all you have is shit click click click click combat and post-WoW Blizzard hates customization and wants to rid their player base of this scary boogeyman any way they can.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not sure if they want D4 now from business perspective, while D3 is still running and makes money for them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, that's the guy.
I don't get why people are praising him so much. Usually the games he works on have like 1-2, maybe 3 memorable tracks, the rest of the music is an incoherent, homogenous mess.

He did a pretty good job on Secret of Evermore for the SNES, which was (I think) his first soundtrack. Focused on atmosphere instead of the usual orchestral, "epic" shit you hear in Elder Scrolls. Right around the time of Dungeon Siege is when everything became the same old rehashed shit.

There's also some random guy remaking Diablo 2 in the Starcraft 2 Engine. Even though it honestly looks worse than the original imo, if he doesn't get hit with a Cease & Desist, it might be done by August 2020 or something.

That looks like a pile of shit.

Mazisky

Magister
Diablo 3 was honestly one of the most boring games I've ever played in my life. No character customization, loot with standardized stats and barely any unique bonuses, completely level scaled world. I started the game as a sorcerer zapping my enemies with my ice beam spell and I finished the game doing exactly the same thing except it took longer and longer to kill stuff. The only time when I woke up from my boredom-induced coma was the final expansion boss, the death angel. That was actually somewhat tense and interesting.

I think hack'n slash games like Diablo live and die on their loot and character customization systems because without that all you have is shit click click click click combat and post-WoW Blizzard hates customization and wants to rid their player base of this scary boogeyman any way they can.

The shit click click click is actually fun for more than 30 million people, for being a shit, it pretty smells good

Mortmal

Arcane
They'v been known to offer a polished experience, that's easy to get into but hard to master (as far as multiplayer goes at least).

It used to be like that, but from what i've seen from wow is they replaced many professionnals by young amateurs. Its no longer well thought and polished as it used to be. Massive classes unbalance, in overall lot of laziness on content too.

Gerrard

Arcane
Apparently Brevik is working with GGG on their Chinese PoE launch. Which is somehow even more funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom