Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Should I play Diablo 3?

I played Diablo 2 a metric shit-ton (once played through an entire night and missed a Calculus final exam I had to take in University, but through smooth talking and general effervescence, was able to retake it, where I proceeded to get a 46%. Through sheer competence, however, I managed to pass the class with a 53% and switched majors from CS to Fine Arts immediately thereafter) and got so sick of it I couldn't stand to play it again.

Not unless you've got three friends to play it with.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, patch 2.3.0 is out now. Does anyone know how one goes about finding Kanai's Cube? Is it part of the campaign or is it another adventure mode only thing?

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
I've really enjoyed Path of Exile, it feels a helluva lot like Diablo 2 in almost every way. The downside is that it makes me want to play Diablo 3, despite its shortcomings.

I haven't tried Torchlight 2 yet, unfortunately. It was developed by the Diablo 2 crew, right?

Inspectah

Savant
Yeah.
I'd love to play Path of Exile, but the always online shit makes me give up every time I try

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
That is a big downside to both Path of Exile and Diablo 3. I was playing D3 last night in a private solo game and lost a bunch of progress because my internet went out. I truly hate the perpetually online shit. It really needs to die a violent death.

It's not like I even have any Diablo 3 friends to play with. Let me weep alone offline with my unpopularity Blizzard, you dicks. No need to run it in.

Inspectah

Savant
Yeah, if I was trying to play with friends, I can forgive not having a lan option, but even my diablo 2 buddy gave up on the game a few weeks after release, so now I gotta solo if I ever want to play the thing again

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That is a big downside to both Path of Exile and Diablo 3. I was playing D3 last night in a private solo game and lost a bunch of progress because my internet went out. I truly hate the perpetually online shit. It really needs to die a violent death.

It's not like I even have any Diablo 3 friends to play with. Let me weep alone offline with my unpopularity Blizzard, you dicks. No need to run it in.
That's why I played it on my ps3, which allows offline play, problem with it was that blizzard dropped all support for it after launching the game plus expansion edition.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
Heh, figures. That's precisely why I don't play games on console anymore. There seems to be some shaft you get playing on console that PC gamers typically can avoid

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This is aspect of D2 i really miss in PoE which only really has 2 kind of weapons doubled for two handers and one handers.

That's not true at all.Weapon choice in PoE is less ,but close to D2.But you have specific mechanics with them on top of the speed/damage/accuracy differences like block with 2H and dual wield,crit weapons,life leech weapons,physical/elemental damage,wands and unarmed.

Cadmus

Arcane
I've really enjoyed Path of Exile, it feels a helluva lot like Diablo 2 in almost every way. The downside is that it makes me want to play Diablo 3, despite its shortcomings.

I haven't tried Torchlight 2 yet, unfortunately. It was developed by the Diablo 2 crew, right?
Torchlight 2 is total shit, it plays like Borderlands or Adventures of Van Helsing. It's a shitty loot dispenser machine without any touch of atmosphere or wonder. It's got nothing on Diablo 2, same as Torchlight doesn't. Fuck these games.

Inspectah

Savant
for some reason, I really liked Torchlight 1, but couldn't get into the second game.
Don't even know why, it looks like a clear improvement over the first. It jus didn't click for me

stray

Learned
It'll probably be more of the same.

Not really a good thing to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing a D4 mostly divorced from their usual MO, and have the latest lead writer (Brian Kindregan) do more of it. He's a good writer.. just that I think what most fans expect holds him back from an actual character focused game.

Aildrik

Savant
It will take a lot to get me to care about that franchise ever again. I keep hearing people say how much better Diablo 3 is now, but frankly I was burned by what a steaming pile of shit it was on release and am now simply out of fucks to give. Just for one example, I was shocked at how little replay value there was in the game. One of the hallmarks of the original Diablo was how it generated totally different level layouts. From what I saw of Diablo 3 it was very static by comparison. I suppose one of these days I should patch it up and give it another try.

Torchlight 2 was better by leaps and bounds. I loved the endless maps mode after you finish the main story and the armor sets were awesome. It just played a lot better overall and I am bummed that Runic essentially dropped further development of the game :(

GeorgeWood

Educated
Diablo III stank, plain and simple. It's time to bring the Diablo series to the new generation.

Blizzard brought Warcraft to the new generation of gamers back in 2004, and blew everyone's minds.
Why was the last game so childish, Blizzard? Bring back the survival horror of the original game, which expanded upon the gameplay elements found in Alone in The Dark and Gauntlet, and make it damn gritty.
More blood, more guts, more gore, make it happen.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Diablo III stank, plain and simple. It's time to bring the Diablo series to the new generation.

Blizzard brought Warcraft to the new generation of gamers back in 2004, and blew everyone's minds.
Why was the last game so childish, Blizzard? Bring back the survival horror of the original game, which expanded upon the gameplay elements found in Alone in The Dark and Gauntlet, and make it damn gritty.
More blood, more guts, more gore, make it happen.
Diablo 3 is perfect for what blizzard intended it to be, an online only co-op loot grind, the single player was an afterthought and any sequels will only make it more so.

stray

Learned
What is it that diehard fans feel is missing anyways?

To me, they're all kind of the same loot grind action RPG. They do it well. I just could never play any of them very long (multiple playthroughs).

If they were to go in a different direction, I'd just wish they made a plain RPG and utilized the writer they have. He's the same guy who did the more hardcore Krogans in ME2 (Okeer, the male Shaman, Grunt) and Jack. Until he left and Patrick Weekes pussified it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom