Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PJTjy9WNYPju.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-diablo-project-hinted-at-by-blizzard-job-listing/

Angthoron

Arcane
Cool, D3 is currently the least declined game in Blizzard's line-up, they should make an expansion or something.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am in utter shock. Please hold on with the news postings while I recover from that announcement.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Cool, D3 is currently the least declined game in Blizzard's line-up, they should make an expansion or something.

It would certainly be a massive squandered opportunity considering the new lead has a much better grip on things than Jay Wilson ever did, especially with what they've been doing with Season updates for a while now.

Angthoron

Arcane
It would certainly be a massive squandered opportunity considering the new lead has a much better grip on things that Jay Wilson ever did, especially with what they've been doing with Season updates for a while now.
Yep, pretty much. The next season update actually sounds somewhat exciting. Not a thing I expected to say about Blizz games ever again.

Inspectah

Savant
World of Diablo incoming.
At least I don't see it being worst than the abortion that was Diablo 3

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Are MMOs even profitable anymore?

Can't believe things have declined so much an actual MMO would be incline for this company. I'm sure it is probably going to be another expansion though.

Last edited:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Should I play Diablo 3?

I played Diablo 2 a metric shit-ton (once played through an entire night and missed a Calculus final exam I had to take in University, but through smooth talking and general effervescence, was able to retake it, where I proceeded to get a 46%. Through sheer competence, however, I managed to pass the class with a 53% and switched majors from CS to Fine Arts immediately thereafter) and got so sick of it I couldn't stand to play it again.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you liked Diablo 2 so much, you are probably better off playing Path of Exile.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Maybe Diablo 4 be anything like diablo 2 with elements from PoE and made even better?

Who am i kidding.

spectre

Arcane
Should I play Diablo 3?

I played Diablo 2 a metric shit-ton (once played through an entire night and missed a Calculus final exam I had to take in University, but through smooth talking and general effervescence, was able to retake it, where I proceeded to get a 46%. Through sheer competence, however, I managed to pass the class with a 53% and switched majors from CS to Fine Arts immediately thereafter) and got so sick of it I couldn't stand to play it again.

There's one good thing about Diablo 3 for you then, it's nothing line Diablo 2... as long as you don't mind losing all the stuff that actually made it gud.
Unfortunately, I got hyped and lost money on this piece of turd and there's no way in hell I'll touch that again.

Objectively speaking, they did some tweaking to smooth out some of the more annoying shit (auction house being the biggest offender), but none of the polishing will fix the underlying broken mess.
Here's some bullet points (though bear in mind I never gor Rapist of Souls):

: Itemization sucks nigger cock - maybe it changed, but last time I saw, the items were simply all boring.
: Character building is close to non-existent. Biggest offender was that skill runes are not created equal - usually there's one or two that immediately stand out.
: Game mechanics are obscured. I'm not talking about the simplified display which you can swith off in the menu.
It's especially hard to make sense of how and why damage over time is dealt.
: Story and writing is shit, unless you enjoy Scooby-Doo quality villians. The delivery is especially painful. You will be clicking past all the cutscenes really fast.
: Combat can be satisfying, it's quite dynamic and there's plenty of different death animations - one of the few things they've done right
: It's good, mindless fun in coop.

So, all in all, if you want your Diablo 2, get Path of Exile, it has everything and more. Only gripe being that it needs a permanent internet connection.

Angthoron

Arcane
: Itemization sucks nigger cock - maybe it changed, but last time I saw, the items were simply all boring.
Completely changed after the management changed. Most items actually have unique properties, and it looks like every patch either reworks more of them or adds new unique stuff. Next patch also introduces a way to strip item unique properties and slotting them into passive abilities of your character.

: Character building is close to non-existent. Biggest offender was that skill runes are not created equal - usually there's one or two that immediately stand out.
While mostly true, it's nowhere as bad as the pre-expansion stuff, thanks to unique sets now existing to augment certain builds, as well as revamped/added legendaries that change the way some skills work. Plus the shit coming next patch. Like I said, D3 is going to be the least morose Blizz game soon, with the highest amount of customization and build freedom. And yes, it still isn't very high praise.

: Game mechanics are obscured. I'm not talking about the simplified display which you can swith off in the menu.
It's especially hard to make sense of how and why damage over time is dealt.
Not entirely sure what you mean, but yeah, you can't look under the hood too much, this is true. The "paper" damage is going to be anything but what you're actually doing.

: Story and writing is shit, unless you enjoy Scooby-Doo quality villians. The delivery is especially painful. You will be clicking past all the cutscenes really fast.
Vanilla is still shit. RoS and the storylines added via patches (yes, this is a thing) are actually ranging from simply OK to decent-ish. Part of Act 5 is very atmospheric, makes me wonder why they didn't go for that kind of thing right off the bat. New Barbarian-themed zone promises to be great. Villains are still fairly Scooby Doo level though, but at least there's a fat archangel with a flamethrower.

: Combat can be satisfying, it's quite dynamic and there's plenty of different death animations - one of the few things they've done right
: It's good, mindless fun in coop.
Yup, and with the stuff added in RoS (rifts aka semi-RNG maps, timed rifts, bounty hunts) it's actually quite entertaining.

Oh yeah, and the auction house is gone.

Path of Exile certainly is a better game though, in terms of complexity, variety of builds, and difficulty as well. However, D3 is nowhere the trainwreck piece of shit that it used to be when it launched.

Angthoron

Arcane
Makes me wonder what ridiculous shit they'll shoehorn into the setting next.

Diablo regenerating again? Angelic invasion? Reapers?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Diablo 3 is still better than all the other current ARPG slashers for me.

That means, Torchlight 1+2, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn etc.

Diablo 3 at least in its current form, offers the most fun and polish (not that I still play it)

But I played alot of diablo 3 when it came out and through a few years.

This announcement I think, is a new expansion pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom