Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard pay rates

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
75k base, 10% bonus every year, profit sharing, estimated 90k a year total compensation
10k in moving expenses
1 month of rent paid
Austin, Texas instead of Bumfuck, Redneckorida

After 10 years they give you a sword.
A co-worker just got a Blizzard job. Jesus christ. The guy has 1 year experience as a programmer. He is not especially brilliant or anything.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
How many people apply per position doesn't matter so much when he got the job
Yeah 90 hour work weeks tend to do that.
He's going to be a web dev, not a game developer. This sort of stuff is sour grapes

Gregz

Arcane
This sort of stuff is sour grapes

The hours and crunch will...be...brutal. My first year, I put in 4 months of 6-7 [days] per week crunch (10-14 hour days early on, ramped up to 12-16 hour days near releases). My second year, I crunched nearly non-stop for 7 months, including more than a few monstrous 24+ hour marathon shifts. Due to the fact that my off-site developers and vendors were everywhere from East Europe to China, I was constantly working off hours to set up conference calls at any time of the day or night.

Pissed Off 'Employees' Bash Pretty Much Every Major Video Game Company

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If that makes you feel better. You should read the Daily Mail. It's full of stuff like that tailored specifically for you. I feel uneasy even pointing out you were too illiterate to read what I said his job would be, because it somehow accepts your characterization of the vast majority of big game dev company jobs without issue.

Gregz

Arcane
If that makes you feel better. You should read the Daily Mail. It's full of stuff like that tailored specifically for you. I feel uneasy even pointing out you were too illiterate to read what I said his job would be, because it somehow accepts your characterization of the vast majority of big game dev company jobs without issue.

Well, I was trying to make you feel better about not divesting your heart and soul to such an environment, which I'm sure is endemic...but on reflection you would probably fit in there quite well, so you have my condolences on both points.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
A co-worker just got a Blizzard job. Jesus christ. The guy has 1 year experience as a programmer. He is not especially brilliant or anything.
Your job now is to keep us updated with Blizzard's shenanigans.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Warhammer-40k-space-marine-game-1024x1280.jpg
400526.jpg
warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-art-%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B8-858846.jpeg

Sister.Of.Battle.full.1102057.jpg

bloodlover

Arcane
If you translate that in euros it would be around 67.000 euros/year, aprox. 5500 euros/month. I know ppl in Germany that make 3000 without working in famous companies or having a high rank. So yeah...

And I doubt that's how much every employee gets.

Tigranes

Arcane
75k-90k is significant when you consider that would be the opening pay rate for a professor in many cases in the U.S.

(Excluding, say, a Yale law professor, or anyone coming out of Harvard Business School, etc. but including many disciplines and many institutions.)

Renegen

Arcane
Bro I like you but you need to recognize water off the buffalo's back when you see it, it doesn't affect you. They also live in California that has insane living expenses so that salary doesn't travel as far.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you translate that in euros it would be around 67.000 euros/year, aprox. 5500 euros/month. I know ppl in Germany that make 3000 without working in famous companies or having a high rank. So yeah...

And I doubt that's how much every employee gets.
If it's actually for 90h/w then it's a pretty shitty wage.
67000€/4320h (for a year) is an hourly of 15,1€
R00fles

Oarfish

Prophet
Austin tech salaries are competitive though so 90K seems a bit low? You can't hire houseplants in London for <$100K

Cromwell

Arcane
You get the sword after 5 years. And its "real"
But what interests me most: Is the sword a metaphore for CEO's dick?

I think that after 10 years with those bonuses they expect you to be loyal enough to perform assassinations on demand.

the only thing you may assassinate after so many blizzard years is your self worth and even for that the sword is not sharp enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom