Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Colour Spray

Educated
I don't think it mattered as much when it released, so they probably didn't. It's like how Wintergrasp would be decided by how willing your faction was to queue for it, in many cases. Less pre-mades in general, in battlegrounds, also. The alliance choke-point is a little exaggerated, too, in my opinion. People ignore that the Horde has a choke-point at Iceblood which is similarly difficult to take and hold if the other faction is interested at all in defending it. The worst mistake Horde could make was to cap Snowfall graveyard, because it pulls them all away from the better graveyard. The first Alliance towers are pretty free for Horde, too, which actually mattered when the lieutenant npcs in the boss room were raid difficulty with a whirlwind attack that just eviscerates cloth wearers. The main criticism that can be made about the layout of the original alterac valley is that the bridge can't be zerged by unstealthed players, because the archers cover so much space. If your team didn't have any druids on the Horde it becomes particularly hard to back cap anything.

Like Cyberarmy mentions, you have to consider the balance between the factions, too, with Alliance racials being much stronger in PvE and Horde racials being much stronger in PvP.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Would love to know what happened during AV design; surely Blizzard knew how heavily slanted it was towards Alliance.

Well the AV we got was gutted in the first place.

When you look at the original AV pre-release page (by digging it out with Archive.org or something) you'd find out that the BG was meant to have siege weapons, towers were supposed to be repairable, you were meant to be able to hire mercenaries from furblog and troll camps which got into game but they were only hostiles and passages removed in like 1.9

Deathsquid

Learned
Aw, AV, even as it was, was probably the most memorable of WoW battlegrounds for me simply because there were so many ways to be useful in it, and the ways it could be useful to you. Hell, you could even go on a PvE grind to kill aforementioned furbolgs and trolls and turn shit in for cavalry charges and buffs if you didn't want to stick with the main fighting force, or go small-unit flipping the graveyards until the opponent would be forced to send out enough people to put an end to it (and get weakened as a result), or you could stick to the zerg, OR you could try to flip a graveyard inside the enemy keep and try to end the game that way, just so many ways a fight could go.

Well, that is, until it got "streamlined", and then "streamlined" again to the point they could as well just cut the whole thing out of the game. Bah.

Darkman

Educated
I always preferred the the smaller scale BGs like WSG/AB over AV. Individual skilled/geared players could make a big difference in them where AV was so large that it felt like individual skill didn't matter. Running the flag as a druid in WSG was really clutch. That was the thing in the game that the druid class did better than every other class.

Aildrik

Savant
I always preferred the the smaller scale BGs like WSG/AB over AV. Individual skilled/geared players could make a big difference in them where AV was so large that it felt like individual skill didn't matter. Running the flag as a druid in WSG was really clutch. That was the thing in the game that the druid class did better than every other class.

A small strike team of skilled players could be devastating in AV, able to cap graveyards and like Deathsquid said, really wreak havoc with the other team. One of my favorite things to do was follow behind the alliance zerg and recap graveyards with 3-4 people, basically forcing them to fall back or send a large force to recapture it.

Of course, that was pre-crossrealm horseshit when you had a pvp community and sides actually wanted to win AV.

Deathsquid

Learned

A small strike team of skilled players could be devastating in AV, able to cap graveyards and like Deathsquid said, really wreak havoc with the other team. One of my favorite things to do was follow behind the alliance zerg and recap graveyards with 3-4 people, basically forcing them to fall back or send a large force to recapture it.

Yeah, this stuff was a lot of fun, harassing/recaping the graveyards and objectives to have the opponent team spread thin, or hunt their own flipper teams. The only bummer was the repair costs from these matches since gear damage from NPCs wasn't discounted and you'd usually walk away with a hefty repair bill.

Of course, that was pre-crossrealm horseshit when you had a pvp community and sides actually wanted to win AV.
Yep. So much so that the fights would sometimes literally go on for days, with players dropping out, then in, then back in again after some sleep. Fun battleground, though of course completely impossible to ever happen again in the state WoW (or MMOs in general) is.

Aildrik

Savant
I am holding out hope that oldschool AV will make a return in Classic Servers! Depends at what patch level Blizzard decides on. It would be great if they left AV at the original 1.5, even if the rest of the serve is 1.12 or something.

Revenant

People suspect this to be the first vanilla server footage:

They kept the original graphics for the most part but added some minor tweaks like soft shadows.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't see anything different. Furthermore, I've already seen that footage like years ago, this is not anything new.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
a 'leak'

1- Project head Blizzard dev from TBC and has volunteered to lead the Project
2- 2nd in charge is person from Valve
3- No Changes !!
4- 5 people in Classic team

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This was in vanilla and got removed later

fNQJl23.gif

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember weather being added in 1.4 (I think?) but I don't remember it being removed. Although come to think of it I don't think any of the expansions I played had weather.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Could've sworn it was earlier than that but then again I barely remember what I was doing 3 years ago much less 13 years ago.

Aildrik

Savant
Anyone play a Paladin on release? Glad I largely finished leveling before this patch went into effect:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.2.2

In a nutshell, Seal of the Crusader was supposed to make you attack faster but do less damage per attack. Instead, it made you attack faster and do increased damage per attack. Fun times!

Xor

Arcane
Anyone play a Paladin on release? Glad I largely finished leveling before this patch went into effect:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.2.2

In a nutshell, Seal of the Crusader was supposed to make you attack faster but do less damage per attack. Instead, it made you attack faster and do increased damage per attack. Fun times!
I remember that. I was 30-something and it sucked. Paladins in general were absolute trash until 1.9 hit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

My whole neighbourhood was paladins...
We were entering dungeons as 4 pala 1 hunter party, fun times in Uldaman...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom