Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Blind newfag plays Pool of Radiance!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Drain is a horrible, horrible thing.

u11134.png

I have noticed a strange thing. The level 6 mage's name was displayed in yellow. Which means... He's HOSTILE.

Heh. Funny.

I can't find a way to make spoiler tags after the forum was upgraded. And I've notice that spoiler tags from old messages are no longer working.

You sure?

There is a spoiler tag, actually. Has only been re-introduced recently though.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Pyramid

Reload.

u12001.png

Time for more wilderness exploring.

u12002.png

We couldn't cross the river because it's being heavily polluted. I recall the council giving us a quest to find out the source of the pollution, so we set out to check out the upriver area.

u12003.png

Ah! Seems like the pyramid building is the source of the pollution... But it's in the middle of a lake, and we can't get to it.

u12004.png

But wait! Someone was kind enough to leave a boat here for us.

u12005.png

We didn't come this far just to stop here. Enter the pyramid!

u12006.png

The pyramid is another area in which automap is not available. Guess we'll have to draw our own map.

u12007.png

u12008.png

Seems suspicious... Let's throw a rock.

u12009.png

Ah, a teleporter. We leave it along for now.

u12010.png

But when we walked into another 1x1 room nearby, we were teleported away without warning. :rage:

u12011.png

Our party now find themselves in a completely strange area. This place is fairly maze-like, with identical environments and many secret doors.

u12012.png

u12013.png

There're also monsters to fight in this area. This time it's just some lizardmen, so we didn't have any trouble.

u12014.png

This is much more troublesome, however.

u12015.png

Displacer beasts. They have many HP and low AC in addition to being very accurate and hit fairly hard.

u12016.png

They had put up quite a fight before we managed to kill them.

u12017.png

Later, we ran into some human thieves who smiled at us. Maybe they're friendly?

u12018.png

No. :rage:

Level 7 thieves don't use their weapons; rather, they zap their MM wands at you like crazy. Magic missiles don't deal much damage, but they never miss.

u12019.png

The magic missiles have wounded our fighters quite a bit. I should have used Hold Person.

u12020.png

We take their wands with us.

u12021.png

:rage:

u12022.png

This time our enemy are three strong fighters.

u12023.png

Again, I forgot to use Hold Person, so our guys took some major damage.

u12024.png

We ran into a human priest.

u12025.png

Great. He didn't attack us, but he's a goddamn lunatic. I wanted to kill him, but I've got the feeling that he's gonna be useful later... Alright, you may live.

u12026.png

A drider fight.

u12027.png

Driders are nasty. They are hard to kill, and their attacks can paralyze you. Thankfully they don't hit that often.

u12028.png

Driders can also cast Haste spell which makes them even more dangerous.

u12029.png

But we lucked out and won the fight without any casualties.

u12030.png

Since our party aren't in good shape, I attempted to rest. But a group of dwarven fighters attacked us while we were resting.

u12031.png

I FINALLY remembered to use Hold Person this time.

u12032.png

Hold Person has made that fight much, much easier.

u12033.png

Seems like we have cleansed the map of random encounters, since we're finally able to rest now. :yeah:

u12034.png

We went to check the priest again and found out that his dialogue has changed.

u12035.png

u12036.png

We have broken through the walls!

u12037.png

Escaped!
:yeah:
Our mission was not complete, however, so we went back again.

u12038.png

u12039.png

We ran into a teleporter which teleports us into another part of the pyramid.

u12040.png

Some random encounters.

u12041.png

u12042.png

Hold Person makes the battle a cakewalk.

u12043.png

More driders.

u12044.png

Time to spam Fireballs.

u12045.png

This area also has some minotaurs, who we easily killed.

u12046.png

...Kobolds? At this level?

u12047.png

A new kind of enemy!

u12048.png

u12049.png

I vaguely recall stirges being able to do some nasty things when they hit you, so we killed them ASAP.

u12050.png

Also, Sleep works just fine on stirges.

u12051.png

:yawn:

u12052.png

u12053.png

Another encounter with some elven mages.

u12054.png

u12055.png

jentry26.png

Hmmm... A map, nice. Too bad I have already mapped out most parts of this level. And this Yarash guy seems to be the one in charge here. Guess we'll have to hunt him down.

u12056.png

Another teleporter takes us to the second floor of the pyramid.

u12057.png

We have stumbled into Yarash's laboratory.

u12058.png

This is starting to look familiar.

u12059.png

u12060.png

We were confronted by lizardmen in another room.

u12061.png

We explained to them that we're not servants of Yarash, so they left us along. Apparently they don't think Yarash is their god after all.

u12062.png

These black liquid... They're the source of the river's pollution, aren't they?

u12063.png

As we examined the vats we were attacked by super mutants lizardmen!

u12064.png

Mutated lizardmen are stronger than normal ones.

u12065.png

But who gives shit, we are even stronger.

u12066.png

Eww.

u12067.png

Another laboratory. Nothing to see here.

u12068.png

Another teleporter with rocks scattered around it.

u12069.png

Stepping into this tile teleports us back to the entrance.

I got stuck here for a while, but I eventually figured out what I'm supposed to do here:

u12070.png

The trick is, DON'T throw any rocks into the teleporter before teleporting. It will change the destination of the teleport.

u12071.png

After teleporting into a new area, we came across another teleporter.

u12072.png

We threw a rock and teleported.

u12073.png

u12074.png

Another teleporter. Again, we threw a rock and teleported.

u12075.png

And not we're in Yarash's lair!

u12076.png

The dwarvish runes translate to NOKNOK.

u12077.png

I missed a few screenshots here. Anyway, in the room we found some pipes with mysterious liquid in them. They are the source of the pollution.

u12078.png

We attempted to destroy them, but they wouldn't break so easily, so we hit them a few more times, and...

u12079.png

BAM!

u12080.png

Our party have taken major damage in the explosion. Bee in particular was left with only 1 HP.

u12081.png

u12082.png

We found some lizardmen slaves in a nearby room.

u12083.png

They doesn't seem hostile.

u12084.png

jentry35.png

Ah, good. We can now make friends with lizardmen. :roll: Oh, and the word is SAVIOR, in case you're wondering.

u12085.png

Finally, it's time to confront The Master Yarash!

u12086.png

Bee starts the battle with a Fireball, which killed two mutants and almost killed Yarash.

u12087.png

However, Yarash has a Wand of Paralyzation which he used to paralyze Bee.

u12088.png

But then again, it's not like we can't win the battle without her.

u12089.png

u12090.png

Still a very easy fight.

u12091.png

Yarash has left us with many nice loots.

u12092.png

This device changes the destination of the teleporter in this room. Right now it's set to blue, and the teleporter will take us to the exit. Setting the dial to other colors allows us to get to Yarash's treasure vaults (more on that later).

u12093.png

Warning: infodump incoming

u12094.png

Entry 33
An official looking notice
Yarash,
'The time has come for you to add your power to the growing legions of my followers. Come and supplicant yourself to me and I will reward you as an important officer in my magical forces. You will serve as the advisor to the cohort of soldiers to be based at Sorcerer's Island. Resist and you shall be crushed before my almighty power. I except your positive reply within the week.'
Signed,
The Boss

u12095.png

Entry 49
A letter on clean white paper in a strong hand
To:
The Boss
Valjevo Castle, Phlan
Sir,
'I categorically reject your demand that I submit my island and my powers to your control. I am a free man and I will remain free. No petty tyrant can order about a true mage.
'If you or your troops make any move toward Sorcerer's Island I shall send an army of my unstoppable aquatic creations down the Barren River and sink your precious castle. Until now you have been beneath my notice. If you value your empire, let us keep it that way.'
Signed,
Yarash, the Sorcerer
Defeating The Boss with your "unstoppable aquatic creations". Yeah, good luck with that, buddy. :roll:

u12096.png

Entry 27
An impressive announcement.
'BOUNTY of 10,000 GOLD!
'I will pay 10,000 gold pieces for a live sahuagin! I will pay 1,000 gold pieces for a recently dead sahuagin in good condition. I need a specimen of this man-like salt water aquatic creature for my studies.
'Bring your specimen to the shore of Lake Kuto and build a fire as a signal. Your specimen will be examined. If it is truly a sahuagin you could end up with 10,000 gold pieces. But beware, I will know any forgeries, and I will punish any attempt at deception.
'So, capture a live sahuagin, bring him to Lake Kuto, and walk away a rich man!'
Signed,
Yarash, the Sorcerer

u12097.png

Entry 56
An unsent note written on sturdy parchment.
'An active dragon has made it's home in the Dragonspine Mountains to the northwest. Keep search parties away from the area so as not to catch the dragon's attention.'

u12098.png

Entry 40
A quick note on an often used piece of paper.
'Both kobolds and hobgoblins exist in large numbers to the east. Experiments show neither makes good breeding material.'
Phew! That's some major infodump here, although the last twos were the only real useful ones. Okay, now go check the teleporter!

u12099.png

First, we set the dial to copper color and teleport.

u12100.png

u12101.png

u12102.png

Some spellcaster gears.

u12103.png

Then we set the dial to silver color and teleport again.

u12104.png

So many loot. So many junk.

u12105.png

Then we set the dial to gold color and teleport again.

u12106.png

Okay. Now that we have looted Yarash's treasure vaults, we set to dial to blue color and escape the pyramid.

u12107.png

u12108.png

u12109.png

u12110.png

We were rewarded with many potatos.

u12111.png

We have also obtained a new quest. Lizardmen, you say? The friend word we just learnt should come in handy.

u12112.png

u12113.png

u12114.png

We identified the treasure we found in the pyramid. Notable ones include: a +3 fauchard (two-handed weapon with really low damage), an AC4 bracer (goes to Bee), a +1 quaterstaff (goes to Bee), a +2 longsword (goes to Elwro).

u12115.png

Our hireling was the only one who was eligible for another levelup.

DUNGEON MAPS

Pyramid, Floor 1:
PYRAMID1.png

Pyramid, Floor 2:
PYRAMID2.png

(Note: The floor 2 map isn't very accurate. Actually I don't think it's even accurate at all.)
(Another Note: Large balls are teleporters; small balls are teleport destinations.)

We enter the pyramid from 16A on floor 1. The teleporter at 15H takes us to 6L. We then take the teleporter at 15J to 1A. The teleporter at 7B takes us to M1 on floor 2. The teleporter at 16I can take us to 4N but we can just walk there. The teleporter at 16M takes us to 1P. Then, after a series of teleporting, we eventually arrive at Yarash's lair in 1A. After killing Yarash, we can take the 7A teleporter to 5J, 6N or 13N. The 7A teleporter can also take us back to 16P on floor 1.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't find a way to make spoiler tags after the forum was upgraded. And I've notice that spoiler tags from old messages are no longer working.

You sure?

There is a spoiler tag, actually. Has only been re-introduced recently though.

OK, I see the spoiler tags are working, but I can't see a way to make them except for doing it manually.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Lizards

Reload.

u13001.png

As our party wander around in the wilderness they ran into some kobolds.

u13002.png

Welp, that's a lot of kobolds.

u13003.png

If using Fireball to kill kobolds seems horribly overkill, that's because it was. But I'm not wasting another 10 minutes fighting fucking kobolds.

u13004.png

One of them got away. Whatever.

u13005.png

We have found a small cave.

u13006.png

Apparently automap is not available in all dungeons in the wilderness, which is retarded. In the pyramid this actually makes sense since it's supposed to be a teleporter maze. Here, the lack of automap only serves to troll the player. Or maybe I'm too popamole.

u13007.png

Some elves were killed here. Not that we care.

u13008.png

Gnolls. :yawn:

u13009.png

u13010.png

I've begun to autobattle these trash combats.

u13011.png

u13012.png

Now this could be intersting.

u13013.png

u13014.png

u13015.png

Actually no, because we've come to the point where even trolls are of no threat to us.

u13016.png

Having cleared the cave, we set out to explore the mountain area around Phlan.

u13017.png

A dragon! Could it be The Boss?

u13018.png

u13019.png

u13020.png

We are here to challenge the evil leader!

u13021.png

u13022.png

LOL @ "HERP DERP IM A GOOD SILVER DRAGON".

Uh, anyway, since the dragon isn't hostile to us (yet), we apologized to him.

u13023.png

u13024.png

He assigned us a fetch quest.

u13025.png

The kobolds we fought in the beginning of this update have respawned. We killed them. No silver bottle. :decline:

u13026.png

We stumbled upon an old castle as we searched the eastern wilderness.

u13027.png

Spellcasting is forbidden in this area.

u13028.png

There are many quicksand-filled areas in this area which blocks our path.

u13029.png

Searching around, we have found a secret tunnel.

u13030.png

Immediately after we have descended into underground we were ambushed by giant lizards.

u13031.png

Autobattle time.

u13032.png

u13033.png

Inside this cavern are many pools which are homes to lizardmen. When we got near a pool lizardmen would come out to attack us.

u13034.png

Just in case you're wondering: no, we can't tell them the friend word (they would dive back to the pool before we can say anything). We can, however, kill them before they escape.

u13035.png

After the lizardmen had been killed, we could search the pool for treasure.

u13036.png

u13037.png

A magical shield. Nice. We proceeded to loot all pools in this area before heading back to New Phlan.

u13038.png

CXXIX
Be it known that the council has decreed that the foul poisoning of the river formerly known as Stojanow is to be brought to an end. Accordingly, a reward is offered to any group which shall travel up the river currently known as Barren, locate the source of its poisoning, and eliminate said source. A commission may be obtained from the council clerk.
Le fuk? Haven't we already ended the river pollution in the last update? :retarded: I was expecting this game to be more intelligent than this.

u13039.png

u13040.png

u13041.png

We don't need the money, but more XP is never a bad thing.

u13042.png

We also obtained a quest to rescue the heir of House Bivant.

u13043.png

Magnus has advanced to level 7.

u13044.png

Oh, and the magical shields we found in the lizardmen cave turned out to be +2, so Grunker and Procrastianna replaced their old +1 shields with the new ones.

DUNGEON MAPS

Lizardmen Cave:
LIZCAVE.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The kobolds we fought in the beginning of this update have respawned. We killed them. No silver bottle. :decline:

There is a cave adjacent to the screaming kobold horde.
But you are kind of doing things in the wrong order. You have already cleared the Graveyard, so the bottle will be useless.
Generally it's a good idea to the missions in the order they are given to you by the clerk, not by the order in which proclamations are posted.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I remember how we lol'ed when we encountered this in korenzel's LP. :lol: Bioware writing, right there.

Well, in a world where Evil and Good are absolute values and can be detected by a Detect Evil or Detect Good spell, it's not that ridicilous.
And in a Bioware game surely there would have been an option to romance the dragon?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This LP is on hiatus until I'm in the mood of fighting another three hundred kobolds.

Personally I think it's more fun with those few epic fights than being harassed by 6 random enemies every 6th step. PoR is kind of uniqe in having these fights with several dozens of enemies at once.
Where in the game are you now? At the Nomads or have you just mest the Kobold King?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
This LP is on hiatus until I'm in the mood of fighting another three hundred kobolds.

Personally I think it's more fun with those few epic fights than being harassed by 6 random enemies every 6th step. PoR is kind of uniqe in having these fights with several dozens of enemies at once.
Where in the game are you now? At the Nomads or have you just mest the Kobold King?
It's not an epic fight, it's just a chore. The orc encounter in the slums was an epic fight because it actually required me to, well, use my brain, as opposed to "hit kobolds to win".

I was talking about the kobold king; I haven't found the nomads yet.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It's not an epic fight, it's just a chore. The orc encounter in the slums was an epic fight because it actually required me to, well, use my brain, as opposed to "hit kobolds to win".

I was talking about the kobold king; I haven't found the nomads yet.

As long as you can sweep the little punks it is not a chore. The Kobold King battle is IMO one of the best fights in all the Gold Box games. You really should give it another try as there is a nice twist to that battle.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
OK, I retract my words about the kobold king fight being a chore. I had done that fight again and it wasn't as tedious as I remembered. I guess I was too impatient last time, after having forced my way through approximately 20 random kobold fights. Update coming in a few days.

Incidentally, how much of the game do I have left to go?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Kobolds

Reload.

u14001.png

Heeding octavius' words, we searched the area near the screaming kobolds encounter and found two caves. Obviously, the small cave is the kobolds' home, so we chose to enter it.

u14002.png

Immediately after we have gotten into the cave we found a trap on the floor. Kezerilla attempted to disarm it.

u14003.png

:roll:

u14004.png

Actually I don't think Kezerilla has actually lost anything.

u14005.png

Random kobold encounters.

u14006.png

Pah, I'm not fighting this fight myself. Autobattle time.

u14007.png

jentry42.png

That beast looks like a dragon. I suppose we'd have to fight him if we had entered the large cave, so it's a good thing we hadn't. Well, actually we'll eventually do that anyway.

u14008.png

u14009.png

Let's see what he has to offer.

u14010.png

What, you think we're stupid? Die.

u14011.png

u14012.png

u14013.png

Then a battle begins.

u14014.png

Not going to comment on this.

u14015.png

This is the beast's cave. We'll visit here later.

u14016.png

u14017.png

u14018.png

Fluff descriptions.

u14019.png

A fierce barbarian tranny!

u14020.png

Entry 16
Told in a proud haughty voice.
'I am a princess of a tribe of nomads to the northwest. My father is an old fool. He wanted me to marry King Al Rasid, to cement an alliance. I had more important things to do, than be tied down to an aging monarch. When I marry, it shall be to someone who has the same taste of adventure and the same skill with a sword.
'Well, father was insistent and his subjects supported him, so I left to seek my fortune. Kobolds had been raiding our tents upon occasion, so I headed this way. If I could end the threat, then I'd have more leverage with my tribe. However, two nights ago, I was ambushed by these worms -- knocked out and bound up. I finally got myself untied a little while ago and was working my way out of these caves, when you showed up.'
A non-useless princess. Now that's an endangered species. And no, we can't romance her.

u14021.png

She offered to join our party and proved to be a decent fighter.

u14022.png

Heh. I guess this is where they held the princess.

u14023.png

jentry28.png

A map, nice. We'll make sure to check out the marked place once we're done with these kobolds.

u14024.png

u14025.png

And finally, we have met with the king of this place!

u14026.png

Welp

u14027.png

I do believe this calls for a Fireball.

u14028.png

And fireball we did. Unfortunately, the damage roll wasn't very good, and two out of three trolls made the saving throws.

u14029.png

There's actually four trolls in this fight. Procrastianna has just taken out one of them.

u14030.png

u14031.png

Bee snipes another one with a MM wand.

u14032.png

Then the kobolds started surrendering.

u14033.png

u14034.png

And the trolls were easily dispatched.

u14035.png

We stand victorious!

u14036.png

Note that some of our fighters, particularlly Magnus, has been seriously wounded in the fight. Trolls hit hard!

u14037.png

Then the kobolds fired their ballista at us. :rage:

u14038.png

And another fight occured immediately afterwards.

u14039.png

This fight pits us against five wild boars and, of course, about fifty kobolds.

u14040.png

The boars managed to take out Magnus with a few lucky rolls.

u14041.png

This is our last fireball.

u14042.png

This is wild boars' special gimmick: when their HP drops below zero, there's a chance they will immediately get back up with 1 HP. A bit annoying, but nothing too dangrous.

u14043.png

u14044.png

After killing several boars, the kobolds started surrendering (again).

u14045.png

Procrastianna scroll-casts a CLW on Magnus before the battle ends.

u14046.png

The battle was quite tough, actually.

u14047.png

Shit, another fight? Things are not looking well.

u14048.png

This time our foes are two trolls, two wild boars, two envoys (sent by The Boss, I assume) and several kobolds.

u14049.png

Oh, and the envoys can cast mage spells, apparently. :rage:

u14050.png

We have ran out of Fireballs, so I had Bee test out the lightning wand we found earlier.

u14051.png

Not bad.

u14052.png

Okay, let's see if we can disable the envoys with Hold Person.

u14053.png

:decline:

u14054.png

u14055.png

But Procrastianna tried again in the next round, and the result was much better this time. :incline:

u14056.png

u14057.png

Bee killed the trolls and boars with lighting, and the rest was a cakewalk.

u14058.png

u14059.png

The envoys have left us with magical swords. I'll take that.

u14060.png

Coward. Our guys were heavily wounded too, though, so we rest up before setting out to chase the king.

u14061.png

Heh. You think you can hide from us?

u14062.png

u14063.png

Another big battle.

u14064.png

u14065.png

u14066.png

Spamming Fireballs.

u14067.png

Pretty easy fight, this is.

u14068.png

:roll: How very anticlimactic.

u14069.png

We found a brass bottle nearby.

u14070.png

Ah, an efreet!

u14071.png

We answered no, because we aren't stupid.

u14072.png

Meh. So this is the bottle the dragon wanted us to get? We have already killed the vampire.

u14073.png

Obtaining the bottle gave us 500 XP. Not bad, but harly worth the effort.

u14074.png

Then we found the kobolds' treasure hoard nearby.

u14075.png

u14076.png

Meh. Other than the scrolls, everything here is useless to us.

u14077.png

Time to check out the beast's lair.

u14078.png

Also, the net trap has respawned. This time, however, we get the chance to disarm it.

u14079.png

:incline:

u14080.png

However, there're more traps ahead, and Kezerilla failed to disarm one of them.

u14081.png

And now we're in the beast's lair.

u14082.png

Here it comes!

u14083.png

It's nothing too special, though; just a wyvern. I was kinda expecting to see a dragon. But then again, I guess stuffing 3 dragons in a relatively small region would be a bit silly.

u14084.png

I believe wyverns can poison a character on a hit. It didn't happen in this fight, though.

u14085.png

u14086.png

We found the wyvern's treasure nearby.

u14087.png

u14088.png

Nothing special.

u14089.png

Okay, you may have water. But you better don't try anything funny.

u14090.png

Entry 20
Told in a pained voice.
'We just got the cut through to the beastie's lair when I injured my leg. King decided there wasn't much use fer me anymore. Made me a proposition though. Said if I went into the lair and brought out the treasure, he'd feed me till I stopped breathin'. Best deal I had, so they tossed me down here. Not bein' a fool, I lit out for the deepest hidey-hold. Thankfully the beastie was asleep. I can still move real quiet when I must.
'Anyway, if there hasn't been much of an alarm, then drunken Ferd must be on watch at the rock, He's the king's son, so he ain't here with me -- worthless sot. If he's there, he's got less brains than a fermented rat, just act officious and he'll take ya ta the king. Wouldn't mind hearin' of that tyrant's demise. Ya seem just the types ta do it too.'
Lots of information. All useless to us, unfortunately.

u14091.png

No point in killing him, so we let him go.

u14092.png

u14093.png

Our business here is done.

u14094.png

Remember the map we found in the kobold cave? We head towards where the X mark was on the map and discovered a nomad camp.

u14095.png

u14096.png

u14097.png

These nomads probably aren't bad people. Let's try diplomacy first.

u14098.png

u14099.png

Uhhh, yes?

u14100.png

u14101.png

u14102.png

u14103.png

Entry 55
Delivered as you sit around the campfire.
'You must beware of the many dangers in this region. Several days walk to the west there is the pyramid of evil. It has been long avoided by all sensible men. To the southeast is a lair of many ferocious hobgoblins. The areas to the southwest, are inhabited by evil men -- buccaneers, marauders, and soldiers of an evil empire far to the west. And all good folks avoid the swamps to the east. Nothing but danger grows in the swamps."
Lots of useful information here. Thanks bro.

u14104.png

u14105.png

u14106.png

We were then escorted to a camp in which we could rest.

u14107.png

The chief comes back several hours later to ask us if we would stay. We answered yes.

u14108.png

u14109.png

We then rested for about a day.

u14110.png

u14111.png

The battle has begun!

u14112.png

This fight pits us against roughly 100 kobolds. Thankfully I don't have to do this shit myself. Autobattle time.

u14113.png

They could barely even hurt us.

u14114.png

u14115.png

We had to fight a total of 3 waves of kobolds, each one as pathetic as the first. This is the third wave.

u14116.png

All cleared!

u14117.png

The chief of nomad said something, but I couldn't take a screenshot of it since I had set DOSBox's cycles number to 30,000.

u14118.png

But hey, we have obtained phat l00t, and that's all you should care.

u14119.png

Later, bro. Time to head back to New Phlan.

u14120.png

u14121.png

u14122.png

We were rewarded with much potato.

u14123.png

u14124.png

u14125.png

We also obtained a new quest from Cadorna.

u14126.png

u14127.png

u14128.png

:roll:

u14129.png

u14130.png

Grunker and Elwro each gained a fighter level.

u14131.png

And Kezerilla is now level 8.

u14132.png

Lastly, the magical 2-handed swords we found on the envoys turned out to be +2. One of them went to Magnus while the other was sold.

DUNGEON MAPS

Kobold Cave:
KOBCAVE.png

Erebus

Arcane
Glad to see a new update !

I can't really tell if some of the quests are optional or if you have to do all of them. And how much choice do you have with regards to the order in which you do the quests (putting aside the possibility that some may be too difficult when you receive them) ?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's seems Monstrous Bat doesn't share my fondness for sweeping kobolds. I'm always LARP'ing that my fighters happily sing "While my sword gently sweeps" when fighting kobolds. I wish you could "sweep" weak enemies in more games - it's one of the few things I missed in Baldur's Gate.

A non-useless princess. Now that's an endangered species. And no, we can't romance her.

u14021.png

She offered to join our party and proved to be a decent fighter.

Even the princesses were better in Pool of Radiance than in Gateway to the Savage Frontier. It seems Imgur agrees with me since they renamed Jagaerda.jpg to DaHoe.jpg:

DaHoe.jpg

Lastly, the magical 2-handed swords we found on the envoys turned out to be +2. One of them went to Magnus while the other was sold.

You could have given it to Hero. It's not like you really need the money.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Buccaneer Base & Zhentil Keep

Reload.

u15001.png

Time for more aimless wandering.

u15002.png

u15003.png

We found the buccaneer's base far to the west of Phlan.

u15004.png

u15005.png

The guards told us to go see the captain, but we decided to wander around a bit first.

u15006.png

We ran into this guy somewhere near the captains room and bought a pass.

u15007.png

u15008.png

Ah, this must be the heir of House Bivant! Because you see, if this boy wasn't important the game wouldn't have written such detailed description about him.

u15009.png

u15010.png

Naturally, the Codexian picked the most EXTREME answer here: punch the merchant in the face!

u15011.png

The screenshot got fucked up here for some reason. Anyway, we had to fight a few weak fighters, nothing special.

u15012.png

u15013.png

:smug:

u15014.png

Well, let's go to see the captain first.

u15015.png

Good thing we have already bought a pass before.

u15016.png

u15017.png

We mentioned to him the boy we saw earlier.

u15018.png

u15019.png

Fun fact: after having bought the boy, you can return here and buy the boy again and again. The boy's price wasn't fixed either; the captain just take a (large) percentage of your money each time. Let's reload though.

u15020.png

We WILL NOT let you take our potato. Even if we don't really need them anymore.

u15021.png

The captain is a very strong fighter, with lots of HP and extremely low AC.

u15022.png

Still, having 3-digit HP doesn't help when you're helpless. :smug:

u15023.png

u15024.png

u15025.png

The captain and his men have left us with lots of goodies.

u15026.png

u15027.png

u15028.png

We then went to kill the guards and rescued the boy.

u15029.png

Several large fights broke out when we were leaving. The enemy here include buccaneers (extremely weak, sweepable) and a few 4th level fighters (stronger than buccaneers, but still not very dangrous). Our party killed them without having any trouble.

u15030.png

We went back to the city to identify some stuff. The platemail worn by the captain turns out to be +3; I gave it to Magnus.

u15031.png

u15032.png

I didn't even bother taking any of these.

u15033.png

And now for the Zhentil Keep quest.

u15034.png

u15035.png

u15036.png

u15037.png

u15038.png

I was going to turn down his offer but this railroading shit won't let us. :decline:

u15039.png

I wonder if all of them are filled.

u15040.png

Well, since we can't actually see the watch towers I guess we'll have to take your words on that.

u15041.png

Yeah, let me guess: the walls had survived the dragon's attack because the dragon just flew over them and roasted everyone inside the keep, right? :troll:

u15042.png

u15043.png

u15044.png

Let's just wait until it's dinner time...

u15045.png

Apparently people in the Forgotten Realms have dinner at 2 P.M. :roll:

u15046.png

u15047.png

We discussed with the commander about the city of Phlan.

u15048.png

u15049.png

Uh, what? Haven't Tyranthraxus being sealed in a bottle and thrown into some lake several centries ago?

u15050.png

I answered "weak" here, just to spite the guards of Phlan. :troll:

u15051.png

Hmm, suspicious... Why was he happy to hear that Phlan's defence is weak? We better don't give him more information.

u15052.png

u15053.png

No sane adventurer would, under any circumstances, sleep without letting someone take watch. And while the Codexian are not exactly sane, they are not stupid. So sleep with a watch it is.

u15054.png

Assassins! So the commander was a traitor! I knew it!

u15055.png

A traitor, and a retard as well. Did he really expect these dudes to kill us?

u15056.png

We could have just escaped from the keep since our room was actually very close to the exit. But hey, what's the fun in doing so? It's high time we teach those traitors a lesson.

u15057.png

After ~6 fights against weak sweepable guards we were finally confronted by the commander himself. The red-robed mage next to him never got to cast any spells because he was killed before he was able to act. :smug:

u15058.png

A single cast of Stinking Cloud took care of the commander. The rest of enemy were easily killed.

u15059.png

u15060.png

Note that both Magnus and Kezerilla were knocked out. I didn't really take this fight very seriously.

u15061.png

In other news, the commander and his mage buddy left us with many magical items.

u15062.png

All clear!

u15063.png

:smug:

u15064.png

Yeah, sure.

u15065.png

u15066.png

u15067.png

With that, the old fool dismissed us. You could at least give us some additional gears. Ah well.

u15068.png

When we went to the shop to ID some loots I discovered that Kezerilla has a +4 longsword. I think it was dropped by the captain and I forgot to ID it the last time we were here. Anyway, the longsword was given to Grunker.

u15069.png

u15070.png

Also, look at all these shiny things. The bracer goes to Bee; the platemail goes to Elwro.

u15071.png

Elwro has gained a thief level; Grunker has gained a mage one. Grunker's new spell is Lightning Bolt.

u15072.png

u15073.png

Your latest character sheets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom