Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Blind newfag plays Pool of Radiance!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
No. Phlan was conquered and pillaged. And Sokal Keep was occupied by orcs and hobgoblins and your undeads did jack shit. And those bound by your spell hated you. And Bethesda fucked up Fallout 3.
:)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Podal Plaza

Reload.

u06001.png

Upon entering Podal Plaza we were asked to choose the way in which we shall handle the monsters here. Let's disguise ourselves.

u06002.png

We were interrogated by some hobgoblins. Elwro answered with a "sly" response. I hope they aren't smart enough to see through our lies.

u06003.png

You know, I can't believe that actually worked.

u06004.png

Sometimes monsters would let us go away without interrogating.

u06005.png

u06006.png

Let's talk with him first. Maybe he will have some information to offer?

u06007.png

Hmmmm... No, thanks. He said he would be there if we change our minds.

u06008.png

Uh, castle? What castle?

u06009.png

:hmmm:

u06010.png

...The Boss will come here himself? :eek:

u06011.png

I wonder who's this Grishnak guy.

u06012.png

Fucking finally. I've spent way too much time looking for you.

u06013.png

So this is the "weapon of great power"?

u06014.png

I confess that it took me several reloads to figure out what exactly we were supposed to do here. First, we shall move in closer.

u06015.png

Meh. A Wand of Fear is certainly a nice thing to have, but it's definitely not what I'd call a "weapon of great power".

u06016.png

u06017.png

Let's just wait for the winner.

u06018.png

u06019.png

u06020.png

Well... That's it. We can now report back to the council. First off, though, let's explore around some more.

u06021.png

Sounds like a fun place.

u06022.png

u06023.png

Our hireling shall duel with him.

u06024.png

u06025.png

Flawless victory!

u06026.png

:rage: I'd have sent Magnus or Grunker if I knew the duel would give this much experience! Ah well...

u06027.png

He left us with a +2 longsword and a +1 chainmail.

u06028.png

u06029.png

u06030.png

We mixed with the monsters for fun.

u06031.png

u06032.png

We insult back, because this is what Codexian do when they are insulted.

u06033.png

Oh for fuck's sake this place is like General Discussion

u06034.png

Note that some of the monsters were actually on our side.

u06035.png

Clusterfuck ensues. We cast some spells to make things a bit less messy.

u06036.png

What a pointless battle.

u06037.png

At least it gave decent XP.

u06038.png

Having trolled everyone else in the bar to death, the went out of the bar with grin on their faces. Just another day inna life.

u06039.png

Look, a new proclaimation was posted when we were away!
CXXXIV
Be it known that the council has declared those individuals who have taken up residence in the mansion of the former Koval Family to be traitors and thieves. Be it further known that a reward has been offered for the elimination of these outlaws. A commission to rid the city of this blight may be obtained from the council clerk.

u06040.png

u06041.png

u06042.png

More money. We are practically rolling in money now, though.

u06043.png

u06044.png

Valhingen Graveyard huh? I recall reading proclaimation regarding that place. We'll make sure to check it out.

u06045.png

The bishop of Tyr's temple wants to see us.

u06046.png

Where the hell is this Koval Mansion anyway?

u06047.png

u06048.png

Oh. You are talking about that one in Podal Plaza aren't you?

u06049.png

If you say so.

u06050.png

u06051.png

You know, he would be a really nice companion if we have control over what spell he casts.:roll:

u06052.png

Back to the Bane temple.

u06053.png

A couple ogres and some orcs. They were no match of us.

u06054.png

Piss easy.

u06055.png

The proclaimation posted on the walls of city hall has changed again.
CLIV
Be it known that the council is intersted in obtaining information about the disposition of various kobolds currently believed to be gathering in support of forces aimed on the destruction of our fair city. A generous reward is offered to any who shall scout out the doings of these foul creatures and report such to the council. A larger report is offered if the marshalling of said kobolds can be prevented. A commisson may be obtained from the council clerk.
Kobolds? This should be easy for us.

u06056.png

u06057.png

YES!!

u06058.png

:yeah:

u06059.png

The 2-handed sword goes to Magnus. The scrolls had Restoration, a level 7 (!) spell on them.

u06060.png

...Wait, what nomads?

u06061.png

We went back to the temple of Tyr to collect our reward. Turns out there were no actual reward. :decline: Well then, farewell, stupid-cleric-who-casts-hold-person-on-ogres.

u06062.png

We went back to Podal Plaza to clear that area, but I gave up after a few fights since it's too tedious and gives no real reward.

u06063.png

Bee gained another mage level, and so did Grunker. Bee's new spell is Knock. Grunker's new spell is Stinking Cloud.

u06064.png

There were two locked doors in Podal Plaza that we couldn't open before. Bee's Knock unlocks them immediately, though.

u06065.png

u06066.png

Inside the temple we found a priest of Ilmater who offers healing service and free resting.

u06067.png

u06068.png

I know, the last few updates (including this one) have been pretty boring. Hopefully things will get a bit more intersting in the next update, where we will explore the Textile Complex. Stay tuned!

DUNGEON MAPS

Podal Plaza:
PODALPLAZA.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You dropped Dirten?
You are supposed to bring him with you to the Temple of Bane on the other side of the river. Not sure how Bishop Bracchio of Tyr will react to this though.
The small shrine in Podol Plaza is not the Temple of Bane Dirten and Braccio was talking about.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
You dropped Dirten?
You are supposed to bring him with you to the Temple of Bane on the other side of the river. Not sure how Bishop Bracchio of Tyr will react to this though.
The small shrine in Podol Plaza is not the Temple of Bane Dirten and Braccio was talking about.
:rage:
Oh well, I can still get into that temple of Bane, right? RIGHT?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You dropped Dirten?
Oh well, I can still get into that temple of Bane, right? RIGHT?

Right.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Textile Complex

Reload.

u07001.png

To the Textile Complex!

u07002.png

Haven't we fought the same kind of frogs two updates ago?

u07003.png

u07004.png

:rage: :rage:
The fuck? I don't recall poison in AD&D being insta-kills!!

Reload.

u07005.png

Sleep works just fine on them, though.

u07006.png

I think the frogs we fought in Sokal Keep didn't managed to hit us even once. Guess we were just lucky.

u07007.png

Scorpions!

u07008.png

I didn't want them poisoning our bros, so I had Bee cast Stinking Cloud on them.

u07009.png

I love that spell.

u07010.png

We found a well which we could climb into. I decided to hold out for it for the time being, though.

u07011.png

Another new kind of enemy.

u07012.png

Our enemy were five ghouls plus a single wight. Procrastianna turned them away, and we won the battle easily.

u07013.png

Actually the ghouls managed to get away from us, but killing the wight along net us a decent amount of XP.

u07014.png

This area is where random encounters starts to get nasty. The frogs can insta-kill, ghouls can paralyze, wights can level drain and insta-kill and is immune to non-magical weapons.

u07015.png

u07016.png

There are also random encounters like this, which pits you against many weak (actually not that weak) monsters.

u07017.png

Would Stinking Cloud work on undeads? I don't think it would.

u07018.png

And it didn't.

u07019.png

Still, we won the fight without much trouble.

u07020.png

Shit. Apparently scorpions are poisonous too. Reload.

u07021.png

Entry 11
A mangled page of fine paper with entris written in a very fine hand.
'He is livid about the undead coming out of Valhingen Graveyard. Three times He has sent assauly groups, three times none have returned. He dares not send any of the priests of Bane to clear the graveyard. He assumes that if a priest could wrest control of the undead from their current master, that the priest would then become a threat to His power.
'I suggested that if we could neutralize the power that leads the undead, that we could then use the undead as a tool. He thought on this and then ordered me to find out who or what is in control in Valhingen Graveyard. Preliminary investigation shows that the graveyard is controlled by a being of great power, perhaps a vampire or a demon. I shall expand a few scouts and low level priests to find out more information.'

u07022.png

We encountered a group of hobgoblins as soon as we entered the southern part of the block.

u07023.png

u07024.png

Fight like this are piss easy compared to the undead hordes we have fought before.

u07025.png

Alright. Let's set out to explore around.

u07026.png

u07027.png

That's actually just a random encounter.

u07028.png

u07029.png

Hello there.

u07030.png

Stupid move. They didn't have a chance against us.

u07031.png

u07032.png

A single cast of Hold Person was all it takes to defeat them.

u07033.png

Uh... What? Haven't we found this parchment before?

u07034.png

Here we are in a barracks.

u07035.png

You didn't expect a barracks to be free of monsters, did you?

u07036.png

That's a lot of hobgoblins here. Thankfully we are long past the point where hobgoblins were still a threat.

u07037.png

Piss easy.

u07038.png

Huh? Let's check it out.

u07039.png

"Skullcrusher" sounds like the name of a boss. Actually I do believe there are about a thousand video game bosses named Skullcrusher out there; go figure.

u07040.png

I guess Skullcrusher has taken everything from his corpse before we came.

u07041.png

Yikes.

u07042.png

u07043.png

u07044.png

Most dungeon descriptions in this game are just flavour.

u07045.png

u07046.png

I... wasn't expecting to run into Grishnak this soon, to be honest.

u07047.png

I had Bee cast Stinking Cloud on Grishnak before she could do anything funny.

u07048.png

But she saved against the spell. :decline:

u07049.png

We won the fight nevertheless.

u07050.png

We took all the magical items as well as the brass key and the stone statuette.

u07051.png

u07052.png

More hobgoblin fights ensue. Didn't bother to take any screenshots, though.

u07053.png

Entry 47
A small wrinkled parchment with roughly scratched notes.
'Hobgoblins transferred out of Valjevo Castle. Now replaced by giants and trolls. Sounds very tough.
'Stojanow Gate guarded by bugbears and ettins. Heard ettins didn't like light. Must be charmed or controlled. Sounds tough!
'Some smugglers sneak supplies through Stojanow Gate to The Boss. Must check it out.
'Overheard hobgoblins say a dragon scared them into leaving a nice lair in the mountains out easy. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of creeps.'

u07054.png

He doesn't seem like a bad guy. Let's talk with him.

u07055.png

:roll:

u07056.png

The brass key we found earlier should unlock the chains.

u07057.png

u07058.png

u07059.png

u07060.png

Ah, so Skullcrusher is a good guy? What a twist.

u07061.png

Holy shit, this dude is strong!

u07062.png

u07063.png

The game won't let us kill the hobgoblin children.

u07064.png

Oh, and the scrolls we found on Grishnak's body have some very nice spells on them.

u07065.png

:rage: I was hoping he would be a permanent party member!

u07066.png

The necklace we found on Grishnak's body was cursed; I'm glad I forgot to put it on. The potion identifies as a Potion of Healing.

u07067.png

Kezerilla is level 5 now. Not that it matters, mind you - she's still a useless piece of shit. Did you really expect a single classed thief to be anything else?

u07068.png

u07069.png

Boss fight!

u07070.png

Just a mundane ogre and some hobgoblins. How very underwhelming.

u07071.png

Well... we shall take it unopened. I doubt the stuff inside will be useful to us, anyway.

u07072.png

Time to finally check out the well!

u07073.png

Elwro will climb down.

u07074.png

Success!

u07075.png

Cardona be damned, YES!

u07076.png

u07077.png

u07078.png

I'll be damned. There's a LOT of stuff that are useful to us!

u07079.png

Farewell.

u07080.png

I wonder what does the Gauntlets of Ogre Power do...

u07081.png

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
That's some massive :incline: for Magnus right there!

u07082.png

Heh. Suckers.

u07083.png

u07084.png

We are already quite rich, but more money is always welcome.

u07085.png

u07086.png

:troll:

u07087.png

Procratianna is level 5 now, too. That means she can cast level 3 cleric spells now!

DUNGEON MAPS

Textile:
TEXTILE.png

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
:thumbsup:

The fuck? I don't recall poison in AD&D being insta-kills!!
IIRC, AD&D 1st ed - instakill, 2nd ed - not.

But that's what D&D is all about?! A terrible oversight :)

You mean, a neutral guy? *cringe* Also, did you know he can be found in SOZ (as in, the NWN2 expansion)? Fucker is hard to 'accidentally' kill and loot...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, without a thief in the party you wouldn't have been able to duplicate the seal? Does anyone know this? (I'm wondering which party to create myself.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Regarding poison, I repeat some sagely advice from another thread:

Poison is rather confusing. It doesn't actually kill right away even if it looks that way. A character who has been posioned can be revived with Neutralize Poison spell (only from a Temple in Pool) if the party brings him there before the poison kills him for good. Slow Poison will increase the time before the poison really kills, so it is a useful spell to have while exploring the slums. Out in the wilderness it is useless since it takes too long to reach a temple.
The advantage of Slow Poison is that Neutralize Poison is much cheaper than Raise Dead and it doesn't decrease CON.

Being drained by Wights is usually worse, since a Restoration (from scrolls) only restores one level, and if you have been drained several times before restoring you will lose levels permanently.

Kersey

Educated
So, without a thief in the party you wouldn't have been able to duplicate the seal? Does anyone know this? (I'm wondering which party to create myself.)

The guy will simply throw any non-thief out of the well with his ring without talking to them. So without a thief in the party your options are to loot the treasure and get caught or be a good boy and take it to Cadorna unopened.

Being drained by Wights is usually worse, since a Restoration (from scrolls) only restores one level, and if you have been drained several times before restoring you will lose levels permanently.

It seemed to work alright on my last playthrough that I'd just cast restoration once per level they had lost. As far as I could tell all that was lost was the XP they had accumulated after reaching their current level. I think one char lost 4 levels in one fight in the graveyard and I got them all back using the scrolls.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It seemed to work alright on my last playthrough that I'd just cast restoration once per level they had lost. As far as I could tell all that was lost was the XP they had accumulated after reaching their current level. I think one char lost 4 levels in one fight in the graveyard and I got them all back using the scrolls.

Hmm...must work differently for PCs and NPCs, then. I remember Hero being drained some levels, but Restoration only working once and he permanantly losing some levels.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yes, PCs can be restored fully with the scrolls in PoR, whereas the poison is pretty much an instakill. In CotAB you get Neutralize Poison making several fights much easier but in PoR you either need to haul ass to temple or just reload.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
But that's what D&D is all about?! A terrible oversight :)
Too true, bro! Dialogue? Combat? Pah! I play RPGs to kill children and bake breads!

You mean, a neutral guy? *cringe* Also, did you know he can be found in SOZ (as in, the NWN2 expansion)? Fucker is hard to 'accidentally' kill and loot...
I didn't even play SoZ.

Regarding poison, I repeat some sagely advice from another thread:
:bro:
I never memorized Slow Poison, actually. Guess I'll have to from now on.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Library

Reload.

u08001.png

Here's the libraby of Old Phlan. This block contains nothing but a very large building: the library. We came to here a couple of updates ago, but couldn't get inside because the door was locked.

u08002.png

We open the front door with Bee's Knock spell.

u08003.png

These furniture are in surprisingly good shape. Guess the locked door has keeped monsters from getting in.

u08004.png

u08005.png

We could search the library, but more often than not we can't find anything useful.

u08006.png

Sometimes, however, we would luck out and find intersting books.
Entry 21
A crumbling old book; one of a massive series.
'At this time there ruling the Twisted Ones was a powerful general named Tyranthraxus. He strode before his armies cloaked in flame and led the Riders out of the Waste. At his hand the kingdom of Barze was conquered. Turning south he led his army to conquer the Horreb the and the Vane. Tyranthraxus was a cruel man and leveled all that he had taken, murdering the princes of these lands. But the flame that surrounded him consumed him, destroying his body. Freed of its shell, it flew among the men of his army, lighting on each and claiming it. It was then when Baron Schodt imprisoned Tyranthraxus in a vial of water which shone like the light of day. This he sank in the watery depths of Lake Longreach, defeating the armies Tyranthraxus had raised.'

u08007.png

Another one:
Entry 8
A rugged popular account of the northern lands.
'Ten days ride north of the Varm is a barren and dead country called the Lee-wai, land-in-pain or land-of-caused-pain. Further to the south this place is known as the Tortured Land. It is said to be an evil place, shunned be the Riders. They speak little of this land. But, yearly, during Ches, they make a trip into its heart. There they go to praise the spirit of a glowing spring. This they have done for ages and so shall thry do for years to come.'

u08008.png

We took it with us. The council will pay us for books like this.

u08009.png

Another library district.

u08010.png

Entry 19
A black bound tome written in a stranged halting hand.
'...and settled foremost in the hall of Minor Courtiers were the lesser powers: Maram of the Great Spear; Haask, Voice of Hargut; Tyranthraxus the Flamed One; Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud; and Camnod the Unseen. These too fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane.'

u08011.png

Entry 7
A tightly bound scroll, seemingly immune to the ravages of time.
'Fountains and pools hold great power that can only be reached by performing proper ceremonies. Most sure of these is immersion, for in this way the bather surrenders himself to the spirit of the water. That spirit or some portion of it, enters into the bather, whereby he gains great powers. Woe to be the weak willed whose spirits are sure to be consumed by spirits that put even the strong at great risk. Yurax holds that the Falls of Ixce are the greatest of all these. Morden writes that the Pool of Radiance is greater still.'
Later in the book,
'Places of magical power are not necessarily tied to one physical location. Power often moves from plane to plane along the path of least resistance. The termination of the path determines the place's location on this plane. Volatile unheavals between the planes may lead to a change in the path of least resistance. This can change where the path terminates on this plane, thus moving the place of power.
'Some who wield strong supernatural forces can bend the path like an engineer damming a river. When the path is bent, it can terminate in a new location, moving the place of power on this plane. If the supernatural force that bent the path is removed, the path will snap back to its original form and the place of power will return to its original location. Such disruption can have violent and unpredictable results.
'Thus, inter-planar upheavals and directed supernatural forces may hold the answer to the seemingly ever-changing location of places of power, such as the Pool of Radiance.'
I would comment on this if I'm not so tired. Typing is teh hard.

u08012.png

Yet another library district.

u08013.png

We shall approach it. What can possibly go wrong?

u08014.png

Would you like to have a talk with us?

u08015.png

I guess the answer is no.

u08016.png

I'd have acted more carefully if I know it's a basilisk. It had 31 HP at the start of battle but our hireling took it down to 16 with one lucky blow.

u08017.png

Thankfully, the basilisk botched up its initiative roll. Also, note that Magnus has done so much damage with a single blow that the basilisk was outright killed.

u08018.png

u08019.png

phat l00t!

u08020.png

The rhetoric district didn't have any useful books for us to take, and neither did this one.

u08021.png

An empty room.

u08022.png

We are now in the southern part of the library.

u08023.png

u08024.png

Of course! What kind of adventurers would we be if we don't take every valuable we see?

u08025.png

u08026.png

u08027.png

Yes!

u08028.png

u08029.png

I... thought there was only one jar.

u08030.png

Even more golden sheets, yeah.

u08031.png

We found Prosper cowering in some corner.

u08032.png

u08033.png

I must be crazy, for I picked yes at this question.

u08034.png

And at this one.

u08035.png

Ugh. I still don't know why I did that.

u08036.png

Let's search around a bit.

u08037.png

u08038.png

u08039.png

I bet this is a stat boosting book.

u08040.png

u08041.png

Maybe they'll have information for us.

u08042.png

u08043.png

Alright...

u08044.png

jentry10.png

Turns out it's just a map of the Textile Complex, which we have already cleared. :x

u08045.png

u08046.png

The swamp has nothing of significance in it.

u08047.png

A ghost assaults on us when we were going to leave the library.

u08048.png

Spectres are powerful undeads with low AC and a shitton of HP. It can also drain two levels on a hit.

u08049.png

We took it out in one round.

u08050.png

Procrastianna uses the Restoration scrolls on Kezerilla to restore her levels.

u08051.png

Phew, that fucker was tough.

u08052.png

Back to the council!

u08053.png

More money.

u08054.png

u08055.png

They also paid us for the books.

u08056.png

And a new quest. Well, not exactly new since we read a proclaimation about this two updates ago.

u08057.png

Also, it was not until now that I discovered that while the Restoration scrolls did restore Kezerilla's lost level, she has suffered a major XP hit. :rage: Should have just reloaded.

u08058.png

I'm almost sure that this decision will come to bite us in the ass, but fuck, travelling with ONE useless fuck was painful enough.

u08059.png

The cloak we found on the basilisk's body turns out to be a Cloak of Displacement. Nice!

DUNGEON MAPS
Library:
LIBRARY.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think losing Hit Points even if restoring all levels is a bug. You may want to fix that with a character editor. There is one here, but I haven't tried it, though.

As for the Manual you found, it's a Manual of Bodily Health. If a character Uses it from the Camp menu and then immediately Rests for 31 uninterrupted days it is supposed to permanently increase CON by 1. It worked fine in the Amiga version, but not so in the DOS version. In my experience it will work if you follow the above instructions, but you will not see a benefit right away. Last time I played I suddenly got a message about the CON increase when I was out exploring the wilderness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom