Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackspace: Exploration Edition

Random

Arcane
Patron
Where's the Paragon and Renegade options? Where's the young slender female xenos and big burly men to romance? How can I perform detailed calculations to determine the flavor of my crew members' sweat like this? This is an outrage!

Sorry, but until you implement a dialogue wheel at the very least, this will never be a good RPG. :1/5: :0/5: at least you tried. :rpgcodex:

I'm not an expert on astronomy, but it all looks fine to me. I didn't see anything weird when I was perusing the systems, spacing was good, size was fine. I expect the graphics to naturally upgrade as development progresses, so I'm not really concerned with those. I like the sound of everything you've talked about in the thread so far. Any idea when we can expect to see a beta version of the full game?

aleph

Arcane
Will there be natives on some Planets which provide some sort of resistance against the ruthless exploitation of their world? Maybe be by randomly destroying mining equipment or such?

Plus you can totally troll other people's fields by mining them inefficiently.

So, Blackspace will be a true codexian game?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
a description on the left side would be useful when i'm on the planet, like, instead of just "Object: Ps13g:WFFP.L", something that says: "this is a gas giant", "this is a mesoplanet", "this is an ocean planet" or a protoplanet etc, some kind of description anyway

edit
and you could implement stuff to add to your ship that informs you with a longer description, like what kind of resources there might be or stuff

Wild Slop

Arcane
Anything in mind?
Well the example of ringed planets was one, another would be the occasional treat of a background tile showing a distant system or galaxy or ?.
V5C0aYq.jpg
Nice little streak going on here. Image from Space Rangers 2
USu0ss1.jpg
The background tiles that are in already have some nice variation going on and I wouldn't necessarily want it to go overboard in accounting for each and every tile as it would be a shame to take all the black out of Blackspace. The maddening desolate blackness!

Another suggestion which falls in the extreme aspie territory (and might take more effort for a largely unneeded and trivial payoff) is the transitions from one type of background tile set to another.
Would there be a way to have a transitional tile along the borders between two types of space? Of course it would also need to detect what type of tile to use depending on the direction.

To change something like this :
dsyd2xW.jpg

to this:
H9mxxuC.jpg

I imagine its hardly worth it.

I wrote "shame to take black out of BlackSpace" but when I went in to take a screen shot to crudely edit, it looks like there are star backgrounds everywhere... or is this just me being my normal dazed self? :lol: Not that I don't like it.

Will there be natives on some Planets which provide some sort of resistance against the ruthless exploitation of their world? Maybe be by randomly destroying mining equipment or such?
I was wondering along these lines too. It could be an equivalent to Civ's barbarian villages. Planets could even go so far as to have civilization ratings as seen in science fiction / what have you. ... looked it up its called the Kardashev scale.
To hell with Star Trek's Prime Directive, let make those savages mine us some ore!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
How can I perform detailed calculations to determine the flavor of my crew members' sweat like this?
Actually, crew are something I'm toying with. Ultimately I don't think I'll go down that path but it might be something I add in later.

Any idea when we can expect to see a beta version of the full game?
Right now, I'm at the point where everything depends on having a number of complex systems behind it. Like before I put trade in, I need to work on the supply / demand system, which relies on crunching some numbers until they come out all right. Same as here, to make space relied on me building the generator which meant doing a whole lot of work plus trial and error around how I wanted space to look.

I will likely add AI controlled NPCs but the core concept is that space is mostly empty and the players are the only civilization - free to colonise where they choose. Which also means that in order to populate a planet, colonists have to be brought in from an already existing planet with population growth. The idea is then that players will form alliances and "protect" their people / civilization as well as attack (and potentially wipe-out) others.

a description on the left side would be useful when i'm on the planet, like, instead of just "Object: Ps13g:WFFP.L", something that says: "this is a gas giant", "this is a mesoplanet", "this is an ocean planet" or a protoplanet etc, some kind of description anyway

and you could implement stuff to add to your ship that informs you with a longer description, like what kind of resources there might be or stuff
All planned. Technically, if you look at the letters and numbers of a name closely enough you will see some of that already gives clues - but yes, there'll be ways to "Analyse" a planet and discover what resources are there, as well as having a basic run-down. At the moment I'm fiddling with combining the Scanners all into one system.

another would be the occasional treat of a background tile showing a distant system or galaxy
I could randomly add these in by seeding the random number generator with the x,y co-ordinates so that they end up "fixed". I'd just need the images.

Another suggestion which falls in the extreme aspie territory (and might take more effort for a largely unneeded and trivial payoff) is the transitions from one type of background tile set to another. Would there be a way to have a transitional tile along the borders between two types of space? Of course it would also need to detect what type of tile to use depending on the direction.
Technically, it would be fairly simple to work out - the only issue is having the graphics. And you'll note some Systems overlap other Systems, potentially creating transitions between every type of background into every other...

Graphic-wise you only need 3 extra images for each background (inner corner, outer corner and side) which are then rotated (which is possible in CSS3, although may be a bit difficult to initially get right). And for systems that run into other systems, it might be possible to do some sort of CSS (or even HTML5) trickery where I overlap two transition images on top of each other.

Again, I'd just need the graphics.

t when I went in to take a screen shot to crudely edit, it looks like there are star backgrounds everywhere... or is this just me being my normal dazed self? :lol: Not that I don't like it.
Yeah, default background has stars.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Much good stuff added recently, particularly today's planet landing and universe reset.

I've seen several of the green/habitable systems have no Earth like planets. I say this a first thinking maybe the Goldilocks zones were a bit too unforgiven. But I take it to mean at least one planet in the system is capable of being terraformed up to Earth like as opposed to a guarantee of an one within a green zone. I'm looking forward to terraforming btw.

I have a few suggestions depending on how later features are handled; Will there be a player to player trading ability?

Oh yeah, did the coms from previous Blackspace incarnation lead to the Codex's Shoutbox infestation?

Wild Slop

Arcane
Use of the spice is legal within all of my territories.

*Are red dots on the scanner other players?

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I've seen several of the green/habitable systems have no Earth like planets. I say this a first thinking maybe the Goldilocks zones were a bit too unforgiven.
Yeah, will see how it pans out. They may be too rare initially but as you've noted, terra-forming may change that. Although terra-forming is aimed at being a more late-game technology, being time and resource intensive. The idea is habitable planets will be the gold mine and once the easy ones are gone, people push out further and further or move to terra-forming.

I have a few suggestions depending on how later features are handled; Will there be a player to player trading ability?
Hmmm... I'm working on the trade system now but haven't thought about player-to-player trading.

Oh yeah, did the coms from previous Blackspace incarnation lead to the Codex's Shoutbox infestation?
Not really.

*Are red dots on the scanner other players?
Yes.

circ

Arcane
How are you supposed to colonize/terraform whatever anyway? A few days ago when I tried it out I eventually found two M class planets in pretty much the same system, but as usual the only option I had was take-off. Stats screen also doesn't show anything along with the rest, and changing scan range requires two clicks and I for one couldn't get it to move with arrow keys/numpad.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Piracy

I asked about personal trades because I was thinking of a method for pirates, shakedown artists and domineers to do the whole bandit's 'pay up or die' or 'I demand tribute!' thing. Now to get further ahead of myself:

Attached to this could grant the paying party immunity from an initiated attack from the antagonist for X amt of time.

If not a forced safeguard and rather an agreed upon 'contract'; then the bandit could attack anyway, feel evil glee, and earn a reputation as untrustworthy (something like Bastard points).

I think an Honor rating with +1 honored contract -1 dishonored could be too easily exploited so any method to reduce infamy should be left for another way if at all.

Bandits that honor their agreements still warrant some kind of rep for being a Pirate (Pirate rating).

Do-gooders might hunt the infamous for (Glory) Rep.

[Redacted]

Gaining plunder by avoiding combat might also avoid damaging cargo(?) and pesky hull repairs, keeping your marks affluent enough to properly fleece, bluffing a threat for some easy pickings?, the "role" "playing"
---------------------------

While quickly skimming the old Blackspace page "Pirate" caught my eye here.

response to Baron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom