Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Essegi

Cipher
Is a good idea to start on hard as first playthrough? How does this on hard compare to Knight of the Chalice as difficulty?
The only game with tde ruleset i've alrrady played is the first Drakensang.
I've just read that a dedicated archer is good. A mage or a 2 handed swordsman are good? I suppose i must chose what prioritize if i choose a 2handed swordsman/archer, also a mage archer (i suppose it's a good idea to give some archer skills to many chars from what i read here).
Any tips on what to avoid during character creation/development?
Probably that has been said many times but i don't want to read all 80 pages!:D Thanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is a good idea to start on hard as first playthrough? How does this on hard compare to Knight of the Chalice as difficulty?
The only game with tde ruleset i've alrrady played is the first Drakensang.
I've just read that a dedicated archer is good. A mage or a 2 handed swordsman are good? I suppose i must chose what prioritize if i choose a 2handed swordsman/archer.
Any tips on what to avoid during character creation?
Probably that has been said many times but i don't want to read all 80 pages!:D Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken Hard gives enemies slightly more HP and gives you slightly less XP.

Game is probably difficult enough on Normal if you aren't familiar enough with the systems to immediately rush for one of Telengard's SUPER-POWERS. But I'd recommend playing on Normal just to not get weird experience reward numbers (23 XP instead of 25 XP, etc :P )

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks.
I remember when i played the demo (i didn't finished it because i understood immediatly that i wanted that title) when i fought the troll it moved once every two turns (and was an easily exploitable battle also if not an honorable method). A guy playing on hard said that the troll moved every turn. If memory serves me right.
By chance there possibly could be differencies also in details like that? That interests me more than xp and hp stuff.
But also i don't want to restart an advanced walkthrough.:P

Essegi

Cipher
Oh well, i started a pure archer at hard. Not mage, sorta skillmonkey (probably i'll rise many talents).
Any suggestion on wich melee weapon choose? I suppose many are good, maybe standars swords or fencing? Are 2 handed worth it for an archer?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh well, i started a pure archer at hard. Not mage, sorta skillmonkey (probably i'll rise many talents).
Any suggestion on wich melee weapon choose? I suppose many are good, maybe standars swords or fencing? Are 2 handed worth it for an archer?

???

Personally, I didn't find there was a particular need to focus on more than one weapon per character, though there might be people who disagree with me. You wanna max out your weapon of choice ASAP I think.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ agreed. Archer's make for good fighter-mages, but beyond that there's no reason to branch out much with them.

Essegi

Cipher

???

Personally, I didn't find there was a particular need to focus on more than one weapon per character, though there might be people who disagree with me. You wanna max out your weapon of choice ASAP I think.
I mean that bow is a no brainer. I thought it was worth having a melee option since it's not so expensive. At least compared to other stuff. Also i don't have to spend on magic since it's a pure archer. I've also seen % to hit varying from 90% to 40% (or 50%) on the same monster due to too short distance with a short bow.
Also i don't know if arrows are short in supplies.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

???

I mean that bow is a no brainer. I thought it was worth having a melee option since it's not so expensive

It's not, IMO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

???

I mean that bow is a no brainer. I thought it was worth having a melee option since it's not so expensive. At least compared to other stuff. Also i don't have to spend on magic since it's a pure archer. I've also seen % to hit varying from 90% to 40% (or 50%) on the same monster due to too short distance with a short bow.

There are lots of special abilities you'll want to unlock later (that will probably require you to upgrade your primary attributes as well to meet the minimum requirements) so don't worry too much about not having anything to spend your points on.

Gord

Arcane

Focus on bows, but there should be enough XP for a few skills from a second weapon.
However, unless you really need to switch due to low ammo (mostly an issue if you forgot to stack up), or immune enemies, you'll probably want to focus on the bow most of the time.
Swords are versatile since they can use a lot of different special attacks, bashing weapons probably do more damage and have the best special attack (or at least had, I think it might have been nerfed a bit in one of the last patches).

Gord

Arcane
IIRC the first immune enemies show up before you get special ammo.

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks guys!
Btw i was just thinking just to buy some weapon talents on sword, for example, not special abilites. But now i've understood i can postpone that.:)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
as an archer you'll benefit greatly from having at least a few spells, to enhance your ranged combat prowess, especially Hawkeye Marksmanship to increase your to-hit-chance with the bow. The haste spell doesn't hurt either.

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks, i saw that spell, this time no magic user btw.:p
Btw i greatly enjoyed the first play session. Just till after the troll.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Blackguards

So - before I joined the Codex I didn't know Jack. I thought I was an old time Professor of RPG guy - maybe I am just an old guy.

I used to read the most recent threads on the forum and not recognise any of the games and think "What are these guys talking about - I never even heard of game Blackguards, LoX, DoS " etc

I started listing those games and then looking for them on Steam and then adding them onto my Wishlist. Then came the Steam Curator guy with more recommendations, my wishlist gets a bit longer.

Since I joined the Codex I purchased and played LoX, I had no doubt about your recommendations then. Heck, before Codex I never even heard of LoX.

I then replayed Fallout NV as you guys placed it so high on the all time list. I used to be one of the guys that preferred Fallout 3 over NV - not any more. I see what you guys are saying. This time I completed the game. And, I could play it again - no problem at all. Different faction, different skills and all that jazz.

Then I went and did a bit of Wiz 8. Hmmm, I do like it - but not the combat. It is too long. When I play group RPG I like combat to be quick ala BT or LoX - or let's say quicker.

I bought this game called Blackguards as it was on sale. I didn't want to buy it as it reminded me a lot of BG or DAO. I don't like that stuff.

Well, push me over with a feather - I like it. I am wanting to play it for hours and hours. I want to move on to the next map. I even find the story reasonably innofensive, I loath stories in RPG.

It's a corridor simulator, a combat rollacoaster, a hexagon turn based fight generator. And I like it.

I like that it is not pretentious. It seems to be content with what it is. There is no running and running around like a clucking lunatic in a town full of crap ala Witcher. Each town is a static screen with little icons to vist the trader, the Inn etc. If Bioware, Electronic Arts or Ubisoft or someone would have gotten hold of this gem - it would be messed up with its "We need to tell a clucking story" and crap. Some marketing guy would have said - "The map - it needs to have 3D movement and realistic. We want the player to have his finger on the 'W' key for 15 minutes, each time, when travelling from town to town".

I like the character development side. I don't understand it. It looks hideously complex. Let's say the character development is like a rabbits hole and I can go down as far as I want. That just feels right.

AP. I can't remember anything like that. I like it. No levels? What is wrong with these guys.

So many things to train and learn - so little AP. Save for the big 500+ skills or use them as you go. Can someone explain how the Bandages skill is supposed to work or not work?

I liked that I had to do the two bridges map 10 times to get it right. Each time I was trying different things, would that work? What about this? Is the bloody map even possible? Damn playtesters and game designers. They don't know Jack. It seems they do.

Loot - why is it when you kill 10 bandits the only loot left is a little dagger? Just a little thing. I like the belts. I don't understand the armour. Some issues with the interface and graphics.

The maps - I know it's stupid and trivial and simple. I like it.

Nearly ending Act 1. My main problem now is sharing computer time with my kids. I can't explain why I like this and not DAO.

Thumb up to the developers and the Codex. I Brofist the whole Codex in principle.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The character system is fairly complex and can be a bit intimidating if you're not familiar with the dark eye ruleset. Our man felipepepe wrote a pretty comprehensive guide which will get you started.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/felipepepe/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=249650

If I had to give advice it would be the following: do not spread your points too thin, try to make focused characters (ie don't learn many weapons, stick to one type) Due to the way the rolls work it's very important to increase your statistics (eg strength etc), for instance a character with strength 18, CON 18 and courage 18 and Willpower 5 will suffer way less wounds than someone with STR 12, CON 12, Courage 12 and willpower 15. High statistics = good in all circumstances.
Making an effort to unlock the heavy hitters like hammerblow and triple shot asap will certainly pay off. As for spellcasting, damage spells are all very underwhelming whereas the buffs and debuffs seem quite strong especially the mass-versions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some damage spells are better than others. The Fireball is terrible, but I think some of the Lightning-based ones are okay?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm going for the compromise: the damage spells are, in fact, not terrible. I even used the single-target fire one all the way through my first playthrough because I was dumb enough to invest in it. It did its job.

It is more a matter of there being better alternatives. But then again, that's why there are different difficulty levels.

Essegi

Cipher
When I play group RPG I like combat to be quick ala BT or LoX - or let's say quicker.
Be sure to check Knights of the Chalice. One of the things i loved most is the "speed" it has while being turn based and actually with excellent mechanics. It's realtively simplified but where it needs be simplified but things are used better than other D&D games (at least recent ones), for example there are no classes, no skills, but there's grapple and coup de grace and enemies do use that. It's quite hard and many battles are interesting.
The demo gives an idea of the game and has a "chapter" not present in the game, so it's worth to be played anyway.

Btw i reached chapter 2 on Blackguards:
No problems except sewer battle on Morbal, the one with regenerating crystal and rivulet, that was hell on earth. To surpass it i had to buy the heaviest armor and longbow. I'm going to remember that one.
Lol, i've already read it but noticed now that the author is Felipepe!:D

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
That sewer battle is really annoying because your characters can slip. As if sewer water is somehow ice.

Essegi

Cipher
Yeah, btw was not the worst thing that water since the one isolated was
Niam that used the bow, so not a huge problem
I don't know if i bad developed characters because i've changed to normal:
2nd chapter: first battle, the one with all armed with clubs was ok, not that i surpassed it the first time...
2nd one, vs archer and 2hander was ok... Got ass kicked once then with Zubaran and Naurim worked.
I've just redone this because i discovered i needed Naurin and Zubaran for the next battle. But with 2 archer was even easier, just moving right.
The third against the bitch and his mage: no way. I used Naurim with 2handed axe all in attack, tried buying knockdown and without. It didn't change, i had the same % chance devolvin 9 or 10 points in attack (so there was no point to increase 3-4 point in 2haned bashing, 1 was ok)... Best strategy has been investing in corpofesso to lvl 3... My strategy was to rush at the mage with Naurim, of course moving to avoind all ados, wander around with Zubaran to take care of the bitch... I managed to kill the mage many times (and not easily, he was nearly on par with Naurim... Weak on melee my ass, that mage was at least decent). Then nothing to do...
Maybe the only thing is that i could pick energy regeneration on chapter one and i forgot, but i think it would not have been enough.
Changed to normal and i did it. It seems more fair now.
Infinitron just spoke the truth!:D

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Well into Chapter 2 now. I want to talk about the combat.

So it’s a hex, turn based combat simulator following "The Dark Eye" rules set as opposed to the standard D&D everyone knows. I like all this new RPG mythology being based on our real world. This is why I was rooting a bit for Witcher 1. Which in my opinion accomplished the world generation bit but failed as a game.

I like the combat in Blackguards.

The game is basically a series of combat encounters that is sometimes interrupted for story elements or shopping expeditions into town for new shoes.

The maps are unique and well designed.

1. Two Bridges Walk

The first encounter I want to talk about is the optional "Save the Girl" from being hanged. It is set across two bridges and you need to cross the second bridge in five turns and then also win the battle. I RAGED a lot. Five turns go very quickly, especially when the enemy AI block the first bridge. I don't like leaving missions behind, I am a completist!

First, the baddies block the first bridge by using the convenient crates lying around so there is no way a speedy char can just run past everyone. Secondly we have an archer that can easily target your team once you are behind those crates. Then there is a team of baddies blocking the second bridge.....

After about 20 failed attempts I was able to succeed. My mage casts a wide fireball on the crates and solved that problem. It opened up the path. My dwarf tank then crosses the first bridge and draws attention of the second group of baddies. His placement on the battlefield is crucial. First time I left him in the wrong position and I realised although attracting the attention of the baddies THEY WERE STILL BLOCKING THE BRIDGE! Aaarghhhhhhhh!

What I liked about this "puzzle" is that it required a TEAM EFFORT.

Fireball, tank, healing, movement, long range combat, all working together.

2. Lizard man battle - lots of RAGE

This battle was difficult because I am not very good at paying attention or at playing RPG.

The Liz folk have this contraption that heals them back to full health after each round. In a later battle with the Liz I tried smashing this contraption - I don't know if that is possible. The Liz warriors have a spellcaster in their gang that can mess you up bad. First time around my whole party was wiped out pretty quick.

This battle was not optional.

So after failing many times I paid some attention to the game and started to spend my AP on the BASIC ATTRIBUTES and HP for my tank. If you paid attention, you would know BASIC ATTRIBUTES are quite important. They affect lots of key skills such as Attack, Dodge and Parry.

I figured out, EVENTUALLY, the key to the battle with Liz is to take them out one at a time, try to concentrate your fire on one Liz and TAKE HIM OUT before the health contraption kicked in.

3. Water slippage battle

Apparently "Slipping" is a hazard built in this game. WTF. When did this sort of thing come into RPG? My party or char is supposed to save the damn world. Become UBER. Have a zillion HP, a +55 sword or bow and can cast a FIRE INFERNO FROM DEPTHS OF HELL at anything. But he might slip on a puddle of water?

I think I like it.

In this battle, again versus Lizards, I figured out I could not move my archer as she starts on the wrong side of the water. Otherwise I will lose her for a few turns. She might slip and hit her head - what a loser! The Liz folk ain't as smart and they attack my tank and slip all over. Again the same strategy, kill them one by one before healing contraption kicks in. I like the way the archers need a line of sight and you need to move them a bit to get the max chance of hitting. I like the way one of my mages always seem to fail in his spell casting, sometimes twice in a row. That's the way the dice rolls innit.

So far, the combat has not been boring but diverse. In chapter 2 you end up as a GLADIATOR and encounter some interesting battles wearing just your panties and environmental factors come more into the fray. One of the talents you can learn and improve is about spotting traps. That skill really comes into the fore in the Arena battles. What is interesting is that your enemy seem to have the same problems with slipping and traps that you do - which is good.

In combat, you can use the environment to your advantage, I have really struggled to do so. I suppose on harder difficulties this becomes more of a factor.

What I like about the combat so far is the 'roles' within your party. Tank, Melee, Ranged, Healing. Although you can cross train a bit I have somehow defaulted into having fixed roles for each of my party. I don't remember any other game of this type where I did this very naturally. I like it.

Pondering. The more I play this game the more I link it to Titan Quest, Torchlight or Diablo (which I have not played). I just wonder how "RPG" this game would be if it wasn't for the party element. The character advancement options are really extensive, but is it that advanced from Titan Quest? In Blackguards the storyline has so far been quite linear and I have not come across any meaningful decisions that affect factions or relations with others.

So far, I like this one quite a bit, another good recommendation from Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom