Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Stokowski

Arcane
Did you learn geography in an American school, Bubbles ?

Crichton

Prophet
So I read during the day that Blackguards now has Turkish localization, which I give less than one fuck about. But when I come home and try to finish up Chapter 4, I find that the game will no longer load any of my old saves! (loading screen runs for a few seconds and then kicks me back to the main menu):x

I'm coming for you, Daedelic! You and your new shitter owners!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Did you learn geography in an American school, Bubbles ?

Let me guess, you looked at "operated from North Africa", distinctly remembered that "Ottoman" was a fat German comedian, nodded approvingly at the list of names of famous pirates ("Kurtoğlu Muslihiddin Reis", that famous son of Tunis, !إن شاء الله) and came over here with a beaming smile on your face, finally able to prove the superiority of your Polish education once and for all.

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane
From Barbary Coast + Traded with Ottomans ≠ Turkish pirates.
From Ottoman territory = Turkish pirates.
Let's hope your classes in logic were more successful.

Every time I see a reply to one of Bubbles' posts, I am sorely reminded that dry humor has become a lost art nowadays.:(

Shannow

Waster of Time
Figures. There's quite a few of these fake choices in the game that amount to nothing.
Yep, Just finished my playthrough today. The end-area and end-fight also offer lots of choices that, in the end, are nothing more than flavour. *grml*
But overall I really enjoyed the game. It has lots of issues and lots of stuff that I would have like to have seen done differently. Nonetheless a game that I'd call great (but I'm a combat-fag). That's already two very good games this year (DivOS being the other one), a few good ones last year and a few potentially good candidates in the pipe-line.
I feel like in the late 90s. I actually expect good games in the future and enjoy playing current games :love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, Just finished my playthrough today. The end-area...also offer lots of choices that, in the end, are nothing more than flavour. *grml*

Did you notice yourself getting any weird unexpected buffs in the final fight?

made

Arcane
Figures. There's quite a few of these fake choices in the game that amount to nothing.
Yep, Just finished my playthrough today. The end-area and end-fight also offer lots of choices that, in the end, are nothing more than flavour. *grml*
But overall I really enjoyed the game. It has lots of issues and lots of stuff that I would have like to have seen done differently. Nonetheless a game that I'd call great (but I'm a combat-fag). That's already two very good games this year (DivOS being the other one), a few good ones last year and a few potentially good candidates in the pipe-line.
Yea, pretty much my impression. There's a distinct lack of trash encounters, they at least tried to come up with something new for every fight to keep it fresh. Think I'm nearing the endgame but I still have a few optional battles left that I couldn't beat yet.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yep, Just finished my playthrough today. The end-area...also offer lots of choices that, in the end, are nothing more than flavour. *grml*

No. I loaded it up, and the tool-tips over the portraits did not show any special buffs. Didn't need them either...
Perhaps some choices do matter? I "angered" the Gods in some areas, but not in all. I talked to Urias, but did not "trust" him. I only checked if "trusting" him leads to a different outcome. So perhaps being consequent has consequences?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No. I loaded it up, and the tool-tips over the portraits did not show any special buffs. Didn't need them either...
Perhaps some choices do matter? I "angered" the Gods in some areas, but not in all. I talked to Urias, but did not "trust" him. I only checked if "trusting" him leads to a different outcome. So perhaps being consequent has consequences?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you get buffed up to the high heavens by the gods if you take the hard path and please enough of them, or all of them, or something. Not sure, that entire section really doesn't have enough feedback to the player.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
From Barbary Coast + Traded with Ottomans ≠ Turkish pirates.
From Ottoman territory = Turkish pirates.
Let's hope your classes in logic were more successful.

I hope posters like Jaesun are just brofisting this guy because they think he's a clever troll, not because they actually believe that the Barbary Pirates were dark skinned desert folk.

I will take those displays of possible stupidity as an invitation for the kind of neckbearded total derail I've always dreamed of, using only wikipedia as a resource:

Famous Barbary corsairs

Oruç Barbarossa - Sources refer to him as a Greek, as a Turk or as an Albanian by origin - Oruç established the Ottoman presence in North Africa which lasted four centuries

Hızır Hayreddin Barbarossa - brother of Oruç - Kapudan-i Derya of the Ottoman Navy

Captain Jack Ward - born about 1553 probably in Faversham, Kent, in southeast England.

Kemal Reis - Kemal Reis was born in Gallipoli on the Aegean coast of the Ottoman Empire in circa 1451. His full name was Ahmed Kemaleddin and his father was a Turk.

Gedik Ahmed Pasha - Ottoman statesman and admiral- led the Ottoman Navy in the Mediterranean Sea as part of the war against Naples and Milan

Sinan Reis - Born to a Sephardic Jewish family which fled Spain

Piri Reis - Turk, born either in Gelibolu (Gallipoli) on the European part of the Ottoman Empire (in present-day Turkish Thrace), or in Karaman (his father's birthplace) in central Anatolia - Reis (admiral) as the Commander of the Ottoman Fleet - Several warships and submarines of the Turkish Navy have been named after Piri Reis

Turgut Reis - Turgut was a Muslim seaman of Greek descent - Under his naval command the Ottoman Empire's maritime power was extended across North Africa

Sinan Pasha - was a Kapudan Pasha (Fleet Admiral) of the Ottoman Navy. He was of Croatian descent.

Kurtoğlu Muslihiddin Reis - his father, Kurt Bey, was a Turkish seaman from Anatolia. Admiral of the Ottoman Navy - Commander of the Ottoman naval expedition to Egypt - Sanjak Bey (Provincial Governor) of Rhodes

Kurtoğlu Hızır Reis - son of Kurtoğlu Muslihiddin Reis

Salih Reis - a Turkish privateer and Ottoman admiral

Seydi Ali Reis - Ottoman admiral - born in Constantinople as the son of a Turkish family

Piyale Pasha - Ottoman admiral - Turk, received his formal education at the Enderun School (Imperial Academy) in Constantinople, Ottoman Empire. Was appointed Sanjak Bey (Province Governor) of Gallipoli.

Raïs Hamidou - famous Algerian corsair

Uluç Ali Reis - born in southern Italy, Grand Admiral (Kapudan Pasha) of the Ottoman Fleet

Ali Bitchin - origins onknown

Simon de Danser or Simon Reis - Dutch privateer

Salomo de Veenboer or Sulayman Reis - Dutch privateer

Murat Reis the Elder - Albanian privateer and admiral of the Ottoman Navy

Murat Reis the Younger - Durch privateer

21 pirates, 14 of them acting as Admirals in the Ottoman Navy, at least 7 of them Turks, a total of 1 born in Africa. If you have any evidence of pro-Turkish bias on wikipedia, want to use better sources, or wish to debate the cultural relation between the Ottoman Empire and what we now consider to be the Turkish people (this is, I concede, the weakest link of my original joke), send me a PM.

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane
Arsenal Football Club

Some members of 2010-11 squad:

Bacary Sagna (French)
Laurent Koscielny (French)
Gaël Clichy (French)
Samir Nasri (French)
Sébastien Squillaci (French)
Abou Diaby (French)
Armand Traoré (French)

Now tell me, are Arsenal FC an English football club or a French one?

You really are a fucking moron Bubbles; I should have remembered that from your Elder Scrolls Online posts.

Crichton

Prophet
Bubbles is certainly a dipshit based on his comments about that wretched DSA "remake" but he's won this round; he claimed the Turks have a history of piracy and provided a list of historical turkish pirates. Cased closed. Now can we get back to discussing Blackguards, in particular, the fact that my blasted saves won't load!

:x

Stokowski

Arcane
No, he claimed a
long cultural history
and after some floundering around got a hold of a list containing 7-14 Turkish/Ottoman (I too am using these terms interchangeably, although it's incorrect) pirates, who operated for a period.

Which is nice.

With a modicum of effort I imagine it is possible to assemble a list of the 50 or more significant English pirates, who operations spanned many centuries. Because England does actually have a long cultural tradition of piracy, but alas, no English translation patch was just released for Blackguards, so we had to suffer Bubbles' shitposting instead.

Crichton

Prophet
Gentlemen, I am pleased to inform you that this crisis has been resolved. A hotfix has been issues and I am able to load my saves once more. Feel free to return to gibbering about pointless semantic bullshit. (Though if it isn't too much trouble, move it to the appropriate forum/thread). That is all.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Gentlemen, I am pleased to inform you that this crisis has been resolved. A hotfix has been issues and I am able to load my saves once more. Feel free to return to gibbering about pointless semantic bullshit. (Though if it isn't too much trouble, move it to the appropriate forum/thread). That is all.

Why did this post make me laugh so much?

ColCol

Arcane
so, is it worth it to build an archer based character in this game?

Gord

Arcane
A dedicated archer can be pretty good, esp since you meet only one NPC that is an archer and that one will not be available for the entire game.
Mages are not a damage-focused class in Blackguards, but work better for buffs and debuffs and a bit of crowd control (or to finish some weakened enemies off).

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Archery is the easiest path to gain access to super-powers on, so a dedicated archer combined with a thorough playstyle means you will clean house in the later early-game and mid-game after you gain access to super powers. But the lack of combined arms, the limited number of archery-attuned stats, and the limited access to high-end ammo means a dedicated archer will not fully compete with a dedicated warrior in endgame.

Getting access to your super powers is far more important than choice of weaponry, though. You use super powers and quick-kill stuff more than you tactically maneuver and try to control the battlefield. Having ranged weaponry rarely offers a tactical advantage in and of itself. The range of ranged weaponry is too short, the arenas too small, and the battle layout too simple. Overall, the combat is more jrpg tactical style, where your choice of combat style doesn't really change anything on the ground. It just changes which super power action graphics you get access to and where you need to be standing to initiate those super powers. But it doesn't fundamentally change what you're doing on the ground.

More specifically, triple attack destroys everything. But it sucks down ammo, and there's a limited amount of the good stuff out there. The melee triple-whammo attack doesn't have that issue. But since they both do triple damage, it doesn't really matter which one you decide to use, in the end, since everything just falls over when you use it. So, you're mostly deciding which animation you want to see to cause triple damage and make things fall over, not how you're going to maneuver on the field when you choose a fighting style.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I made sure to make both my mages use bows. The game was so much easier that way. On my first playthrough that I abandoned, I had gone with offensive damage dealing spells for my mages.

Or in other words: What Telengard said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom