Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Too late, and now I can't get the metal piece for the spear for Takate, this is an outrage.
:x

circ

Arcane
Would rather have Niam + Takate instead of Aurelia.
Would rather have Niam + Aurelia. Aurelia starts with shadow something spell, so - set her up with triple shot and watch shit die. Takate is boringtothemax - plus he can barely hit shit with maxed attack, especially if you give him the 9 spear. Then again he's got stats to be an archer too, or would if some loon developer hadn't made arrows limited.

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, you need to choose to recapture her to be able to finish the quest. Thankfully the battle is fast and easy, so I wasn't too upset by the bug.

VentilatorOfDoom, I finished the quest just fine by letting her go. If it's not working it might be a bug introduced in either 1.2 or 1.3?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
the kor spear has a substantial attack penalty (-5, looked it up on the internet) that boggles the mind, after all it probably doesn't matter much I can't get it. Anyway, I think Takate would do better with a bow or a two-hander, his wounding is nice, but the dmg of his spear (though I have a spear for him with magic dmg, Efferd's Beard or something) is often lacking. Wie üblich holt der Zwerg die Kastanien aus dem Feuer!

Gord, yeah seems they've introduced quite some new bugs in the latest patch

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I have a pretty strong suspicion that it was caused by installing the DLC, since that modifies the quest giver.

Other bugs:

- certain values carry over after quickloading. Specifically, I learned Ecliptifactus from a book (which cost 100 AP), then increased it to 8 (all I could afford), then reloaded. Then I learned it from the book again, and now the spell was level 8 instead of level 1, even though it only subtracted the 100 AP to learn it.

- the quest "Drachenhatz 2" doesn't put the eggs in my inventory if I choose to keep them, and doesn't give me any boosts if Takate eats them. At least in chapter 4. If something is supposed to happen later on, that should be more clear.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
the kor spear has a substantial attack penalty (-5, looked it up on the internet) that boggles the mind, after all it probably doesn't matter much I can't get it. Anyway, I think Takate would do better with a bow or a two-hander, his wounding is nice, but the dmg of his spear (though I have a spear for him with magic dmg, Efferd's Beard or something) is often lacking.

I get the feeling that most of the enemies in chapter 4 onward are particularly resistant to magical damage. Naurim's Wuchtschlag with a 6-11 magical weapon does 3-4 damage against wolves.

edit: just checked - evil wolves have 90% magical damage resistance, and 50% to most others (nothing to infantry damage, so the Kor spear would actually be useful there). Salva has 20% magical resistance and no other listed resists. Magical weapons are a bad idea later on.

Gord

Arcane
the kor spear has a substantial attack penalty (-5, looked it up on the internet) that boggles the mind, after all it probably doesn't matter much I can't get it. Anyway, I think Takate would do better with a bow or a two-hander, his wounding is nice, but the dmg of his spear (though I have a spear for him with magic dmg, Efferd's Beard or something) is often lacking.

It does infantry-damage, which most enemies are vulnerable against. Coupled with some +Attack spells, it can be worth it.
Also wounding helps reducing the threat from enemies, so while a spear might not be best in terms of raw damage, it has its uses.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Of course wounding has its uses, but in comparison to Drakensang it's much weaker. You can't dispose of enemies by wounding them. Even wounded they're still there, blocking sight for your archer, scoring a lucky hit here and there, poisening the target etc. At the same time I wonder how it would be like if Takate would dish out 90 dmg criticals with hammer blow like Naurim does.

Bei Angrosch!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

I get the feeling that most of the enemies in chapter 4 onward are particularly resistant to magical damage. Naurim's Wuchtschlag with a 6-11 magical weapon does 3-4 damage against wolves.

edit: just checked - evil wolves have 90% magical damage resistance, and 50% to most others (nothing to infantry damage, so the Kor spear would actually be useful there). Salva has 20% magical resistance and no other listed resists. Magical weapons are a bad idea later on.
really, and what do I do then with Takate, I don't have a different spear and can't get the Kor spear. I kept the Rondracomb, in case I wanted to level up his two-handed sword skill but that is magic dmg too, jeez

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
really, apart from some quest bugs which can get ironed out I really think it's a very enjoyable game. Nice twist at the end of ch 3 btw, for a combat game the story is pretty good as well, so far.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the story is pretty good.

1373547739250.jpg

gamebanshee said:
well-written dialogue

willis1.jpg

gamebanshee's decline is complete

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
By the endgame I have Takate specced out as a two-handed bashing weapons user, an extra character with Deathblow is always a plus.
Yeah I thought so, I just had Naurim do a 127 dmg hammerblow on a skelleton. Nice. Will spec Takate for 2H bashing too, if I get the AP. It's definitely better to hit for massive damage than to do 12 damage, 2 wounds but still getting hit for 20 + poison in return. Of course, in Drakensang wounding was very potent because you could end potential threats quickly by causing 5 wounds, but I think in this game massive dmg is more effective.

Grunker yes p. good story for a combat game so far, remember the story of ToEE? I don't even remember if that had a story beyond "there's an evil temple, plz go there and kill kthxbai".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By end of chapter 4 I had so many AP that I went for the weapon mastery perk with my melee guys and specced Takate as sword/board. That gave him better attack values (+3 through the shield perks), better def from the shield, and more damage from the sword. I prefered that to having hammerblow, since I often had pretty bad to-hit chances with that anyway (on hard at least) and failing a special attack gives you dumb penalty.

And Aurelia is great as a buffbot.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There should be enough AP for making Takate both master archer & weapon master, but it is possible that recent patches nerfed the amount of acquired AP.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker yes p. good story for a combat game so far, remember the story of ToEE? I don't even remember if that had a story beyond "there's an evil temple, plz go there and kill kthxbai".

I can't really say much about ToEE's story, it almost didn't have one. Blackguards on the other hand actually attempts to have fairly fleshed out story and characters. 1/4 or more of the time you spend with the game is devoted to dialogue, exposition and plot. All of it fails pretty miserably (with a few minor exceptions).

Anyway, it's sort of a moot discussion. Blackguards is downright brilliant for many parts of the game and the shitty story neither detracts nor adds much to it all, imo. I liked the elf girl and thought she was kind of interesting as a character, but that's about the extent of my investment in the story.

I wished more indie-RPGs went with a basic formular like this. Really stuck to their guns. Not necessarily the same structure as Blackguards, but just the simplicity: do one or two things, do them really well, and eschew anything else. I believe Blackguards, Knights of the Chalice and games like these succeed where others don't because of their tight focus.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wished more indie-RPGs went with a basic formular like this. Really stuck to their guns. Not necessarily the same structure as Blackguards, but just the simplicity: do one or two things, do them really well, and eschew anything else. I believe Blackguards, Knights of the Chalice and games like these succeed where others don't because of their tight focus.
Fuck that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I know you dream of a time where $30.000 dollars can make a full-fledged RPG, but meanwhile in the real world I fucking love that we have Blackguards and Knights of the Chalice instead of two barren wastelands of crushed dreams and overambitious products.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm, Gamebanshee's reviewer seemed to have a shitty PC or probably some 300 euros laptop if he has to suffer 30 sec every time the game loads a map. I'd be pissed too, but he also got butthurt by the encounters, the shining point of the game, omg to haarrd.
I wasnt really pissed that much when the dice didnt roll my way and I had to restart the encounter. Shit happens.

While Blackguards does have weak points for some by not being storyfags dream, the combat with well designed encounters and a good char system carry the game well above the average RPGs we use to play.
Devs even listened to fan feedback and improved the game based on it. I personally cant wait for the next stand-alone or a sequel.
Cause I feel/know that Obsidian, inXile or Larian are never gonna make a RPG with combat or encounters this good.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't think the game is even particularly difficult once you make it past Act 2/learn how to play well. All the fights in act 3 and 4 were pretty easy once I knew what to do, and I'm playing on hard.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Cause I feel/know that Obsidian, inXile or Larian are never gonna make a RPG with combat or encounters this good.
Which is probably true but just sad. The combat in this game isn't exactly some incredibly high standard to live up to. I found it relied way too much on hazards and gimmicks to be interesting.

circ

Arcane
Combat is extremely repetitive, partly because they eschewed things like deonts and geodes and thieving in general. Plus, the skills got slimmed down too and that's not helping either. Maybe they decided to do it for pacing reasons, but that doesn't explain the really bad battlefield controls and retarded AI that walks straight into traps unless you babysit every single hex.

Also pretty sad that in the entire game, there were I think only three maps with special treasures to find, giving a risk and reward aspect to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom