Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
RPS said:
Alec rather struggled to enjoy Blackguards. A far too dull game, despite offering some oft-loved turn-based RPGness, it failed to find that King’s Bounty love. However, the game continues on defiantly, and has just launched its first DLC – Blackguards: Untold Legends – only a month or so after release.

Untold Legends offers seven new quests, more weapons and eleven new battle maps, for its hex-based turn-based combat set within The Dark Eye universe. These expand on the original story, and they look a bit like this:

The idea here is to explore central character Takate’s past, and apparently “fight against rebellious slaves”, which doesn’t strike me as the most immediately sympathetic storyline. Being enslaved is generally considered a bad thing these days, by my understanding. Rebelling ones sound like the people whose side I’d rather be on.

Anyhoo, it’s going to cost you another fiver on top of the main game’s current discount of £27. Did you get into this one, despite Alec’s quite clearly instructing you that you’re wrong to?

27zvzu1.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The RPS guy that did the Blackguards "review" only played the beta, didn't even finish Chapter 1, and thought the combat was "Fallouty"... I rest my case.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Stealing a black woman's home, pressing her to work as a dancing monkey, cheating her out of her wages, and selling her fiancé into slavery to a brain slug probably rubbed him the wrong way.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, the problem with a Takate centric DLC is not that it is about fighting slaves, but that it is about Takate.
I much prefered his elf junkie predecessor in term of coolness factor

The number of clueless reviews from game journalists about this game is pretty depressing. It gets a lot of flack for not having a good story (Incubation had not a very good story either. The plot in Jagged Alliance is quite thin too, but who cares in both of these cases?), not offering much besides combat (which is the whole point of this game), having randomness which makes every clever battle plan fail (because some people don't seem to grasp that tactics is about evaluating risks, and finding solutions to things not going as planned...), or having detailled character stats (omg, I haz all my points in 2 handed sword skill and cannot use a warhammer).

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RPS said:
Being enslaved is generally considered a bad thing these days, by my understanding. Rebelling ones sound like the people whose side I’d rather be on.
The name of the game is not "Paladins"...

Eh, it might as well be.

The article is completely retarded of course, but there's not that much in the story that really justifies the game's title except you being on the run from the law.

hiver

I was wondering will you notice that.

why wouldnt you be nice chaps and post your review link there so people have atleast something to read about the game itself.

just write, - yeah we thought someone might actually read a review about the game.
its a bit old article today already but, you know, it cant hurt.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
RPS said:
Being enslaved is generally considered a bad thing these days, by my understanding. Rebelling ones sound like the people whose side I’d rather be on.

Eh, it might as well be.

The article is completely retarded of course, but there's not that much in the story that really justifies the game's title except you being on the run from the law.
Try playing the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RPS said:

Eh, it might as well be.

Try playing the game.

:roll:

Read the thread. Played it twice.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
RPS said:

Eh, it might as well be.

Try playing the game.

:roll:

Read the thread. Played it twice.
Try reading when you're playing.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Eh, it might as well be.

At least there is one occurence in the game where being a bad guy pays much greater dividend than playing the nice guy :
in the twin dispute quest, siding with the "evil" twin and murdering his brother earns you a spellbook worth 50 Ducats, while siding with the good one earns you a paltry sum. Same for the quest where you recover the "protection money" taken away from the villagers in chapter 3 : Not returning it is definetely the best course.

It is true that the characters depicted in the game are far from evil, but at least, there are very little incentive to do good deeds.

except for the beggar quest in the beggining. Too bad he cannot be bullied to save some coins.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It is true that the characters depicted in the game are far from evil, but at least, there are very little incentive to do good deeds.

You do countless selfless acts and your main character goes out of his way to help people in most sidequests that don't involve choices. I will grant you that the writing is so schizophrenic that this is not consistent at all. That was my main complaint anyway.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My problem with the "Blackguards" title is not only how you mostly just help people out of the blue BECAUSE REASONS, but that although the dwarf and the mage are outlaws and ok with that, your character is a whinny bitch, very butthurt about it, that just wants to go back home.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My problem with the "Blackguards" title is not only how you mostly just help people out of the blue BECAUSE REASONS, but that although the dwarf and the mage are outlaws and ok with that, your character is a whinny bitch, very butthurt about it, that just wants to go back home.

P. much. I don't mind the quality of the writing considering the budget, but I would have liked some different thematics.

a little more 'black', a little less 'guard' :yeah:
Like I said though, the writing is a footnote in the book of gameplay with regards to this game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I enjoyed the voice acting quite a bit. Some character's voice acting made me want to kill them, regardless of story reasons. I just chose to look at story elements as nicely acted interludes between fights.

There were exceptions such as:
Killing Niam was a terrible injustice to her character and my fucking party.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I enjoyed the voice acting quite a bit. Some character's voice acting made me want to kill them, regardless of story reasons. I just chose to look at story elements as nicely acted interludes between fights.

There were exceptions such as:
Killing Niam was a terrible injustice to her character and my fucking party.
Indeed,
Plus her replacement is kind of boring
RPS said:
Alec rather struggled to enjoy Blackguards. A far too dull game, despite offering some oft-loved turn-based RPGness, it failed to find that King’s Bounty love. However, the game continues on defiantly, and has just launched its first DLC – Blackguards: Untold Legends – only a month or so after release.

Untold Legends offers seven new quests, more weapons and eleven new battle maps, for its hex-based turn-based combat set within The Dark Eye universe. These expand on the original story, and they look a bit like this:

The idea here is to explore central character Takate’s past, and apparently “fight against rebellious slaves”, which doesn’t strike me as the most immediately sympathetic storyline. Being enslaved is generally considered a bad thing these days, by my understanding. Rebelling ones sound like the people whose side I’d rather be on.

Anyhoo, it’s going to cost you another fiver on top of the main game’s current discount of £27. Did you get into this one, despite Alec’s quite clearly instructing you that you’re wrong to?
It is worse than I thought :
If he had played the DLC, he would have seen that you can pick either side in the rebellious slaves quest...

Deitti

Augur
How viable are warrior mages? Something like leather armor dodging with self-buffs and high damage from weapons or something similar. Hard to find any proper answers about hybrids, except archer mages which are praised.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How viable are warrior mages? Something like leather armor dodging with self-buffs and high damage from weapons or something similar. Hard to find any proper answers about hybrids, except archer mages which are praised.
EXTREMELY viable. I play that way, with a two-handed sword to boot.

Gets even better when you learn to create a clone of yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom