Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackguards or Lords Of Xulima - which to buy?

Two games enter, one game leaves!

• Lords Of Xulima

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Nigguards

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I secretly like Fallout 3

Votes: 18 26.5%

• Total voters

Arthandas

Prophet
Both are combat oriented, both have piss poor story, only one gets installed, FIGHT!
8126_5.jpg

Arthandas

Prophet
I see some votes but no one is giving any feedback. I'll appreciate if you tell why do you think one is better than the other.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Step 1 - Retrieve hoe
Step 2 - Work fields for currency
Step 3 - Buy both

V_K

Arcane
Xulima is less combat-focused: there's exploration, quite a few puzzles (some dungeons are completely puzzle-based with little to no combat). Blackguards on the other hand has much, much better combat scenarios (that also incorporate some slight puzzles) and mechanics. Also writing in BG is much less cringeworthy, but then there's much more of it. It's a tough choice but as a non-combatfag I'd go with Xulima.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked Blackguards. At first, all the options I had to create my characters caused a mindfuck on my brain. I tried to make them Jacks of all trades. I restarted the game and was more careful with how I developed my characters and had a lot of fun with the battles. That the fields uses hexes instead of squares is a plus.

I haven't played Xulima, so I can't comment on that.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They are completely different games. If you prefer incredible character building and a focus on tactical combat but very little other rpg elements go for Blackguards. If you enjoy an exploration based game with full party creation and a general "might-and-magci-ish" experience go for Xulima.

Personally I'd play Xulima but both games are enjoyable and both have flaws ;)

Arthandas

Prophet
I'm beginning to lean towards Xulima too. From what I've seen on the Codex, it gets some hate for not being properly documented but there's a guide in the Deluxe edition (which should be a part of the standard release for fuck's sake, but can be easily acquired by other means...) listing and describing all skills, classes and their progression so that's no longer a problem.

It's advertised as a 100 hours experience but does the game's content support this?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Blackguards is for combatfags. Xulima is for Explorationfags. The fact that you called one Nigguards and failed to call the other Fags of Xulima tells us you made up your mind before posting.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
BG is turn based combat - isometric. Call it a combat simulator - most encounters are individiually designed and are almost like mini challenges themselves.

Character development is pretty good - you have a lot of choice about how you develop your characters.

I thought the storyline was okay actually. But I was not familiar with that world.

Played it to completion. Try not to rage quit regards the Lice encounters - they are just stupid. AKA quite difficult.

I think they did a good job building the world and even though your interaction with everything is quite limited - I did get a good Eastern European/ Mediteranean feel playing it.

LoX - The combat is blobbery - has some complexities to it. Front and back rows. A live order of combat running down the side where you can see stunned opponents drop down the order.

The storyline is not as good - I think because the developers are building a new world. Typical fantasy stuff.

The challenges are less about combat and more about actual puzzles, mapping dungeon teleports.

Character development is pretty good - I think they could have presented it better.

I played about half way during developmental phase and my savegame got messed up.

I think LoX is a better game. Some lovely old school moments. Having to consume food was a bit of a pain.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I am wondering what exactly do you explore in Xulima? The railroads? The 2 endless ice/sand areas? Xulima is totally for combatfags.

Arthandas

Prophet
Ok, I bought Xulima aaaaaaaand
XWATKTw.jpg

I started on hardcore/save only in towns and I almost popped a vein when out of nowhere cursed hounds wiped my party... apart from that, it's awesome.

I think I'll have to eventually buy BG too since apart from Original Sin (which I didn't like) there are no other good tactical rpgs I didn't already played.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Both are good, but Blackguards is fantastic. If you absolutely have to choose, it's Blaggardz not even close

EDIT:

Xulima if you are into blobbers.
Holy crap i'm replying to a question that was asked a year ago.
But it doesn't matter.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom