Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards 2

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I wonder why they went with the fixed protagonist.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Will the game play more like chapter 3?

What length will the game roughly be (smaller or larger than Blackguards)?

Some people feel the design (encounters, linearity) of Blackguards final chapters were weaker than the 3rd. Have you gotten any feedback on this? If so how will you do things differently?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't tried playing a female, but I would have thought the protagonist of Blackguards worked better as a male. It gave the story a recurring male/female duality in the flashback scenes - Eleanor and Lysander, Aurelia and you (well, I suppose Luciano could also be seen as the counterpart to Aurelia, but he was a pretty minor character)

I can see how writing a power-hungry female character might be fun for Daedalic, though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I can see how writing a power-hungry female character might be fun for Daedalic, though.
I can see how the character will be very similar to Sadia from Memoria. E.g. not exactly power hungry but wanting to do great deeds and become a hero.

deuxhero

Arcane
I think Zurbaran's comment about slaves early on really only makes sense addressed to a mixed sex group, especially as he begins with "male".

Indranys

Savant
At least Naurim will be acting as a proper jew dwarf this time around.
Thanks almighty for that. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://news.softpedia.com/news/E3-2014-Hands-Off-Silence-Blackguards-2-The-Devil-s-Men-446582.shtml

The company also announces that it is working on a sequel to the tactical role-playing game Blackguards, which is designed to expand the core Dark Eye universe and to refine the mechanics of the title.

Daedalic says that it will have a female main character called Cassia and that it plans to introduce a range of new companions for her to choose from as she embarks on a new adventure that straggles the line between good and evil.

Blackguards 2 is supposed to have deeper combat, more enemy types and new strategic map with more consequences associated with gamer actions.

Dorateen

Arcane
So this is what it's come to. People are applauding a supposedly combat-focused cRPG that forces a fixed female protagonist on the player, for the purposes of biowarian-like storytelling.

Might & Magic Legacy's raiders would beat up Daedalic's blackguards.

And take their stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
New companions? Interesting.

http://daedalicentertainment.tumblr.com/post/88372033640/its-e3-in-l-a-and-we-have-some-stunning

It’s E3 in L.A. and we have some stunning announcements for your in our bag: Today we are more than happy to finally reveal you that we are already working on a sequel for our strategy RPG Blackguards that will bring you back to Aventuria in early 2015.

Sharp your swords, get your armor fixed and look forward to another challenging adventure with our Blackguards in the universe of The Dark Eye. You’ll recognize some old friends as well as a lot of new faces. The intrigues have already began and there’s a lady who’s willing to risk everything to see herself on the Shark Throne – and how could it be otherwise, our Blackguards are right in the middle of it!

Blackguards 2 will be available early 2015!

Telengard

Arcane
If they do it to make the mc much more integrated into the world a la krondor, instead of generic outsider chosen one #10,391 come to save the world for the incredible reason that he/she has been chosen, then I'm all for the decision. If they instead do so simply so they can make #10,391 have deep biowarian feelings because of a tragic past, then bleh.

Morkar Left

I had hopes a sequel would become more of an rpg but it seems they want more HoMM in it with some storytelling. Not my cup of tea.

Morkar Left

I had hopes a sequel would become more of an rpg but it seems they want more HoMM in it with some storytelling

w-what

:hmmm:

Blackguards 2 will stay an SRPG focussing on turn-based, strategic battles with a group of scoundrels as anti-heroes.
The gameplay will focus on turn-based battles once more – this time the players have to conquer Cassia’s lands and defend them against intruders when the need arises. As in a fraction-based game the enemies can recapture the territories from the Blackguards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think you're reading that description too literally.

What that'll probably mean in practice is that you'll get a big world map you can travel around (like in Chapter 3 of the original game) where every city has a quest you can do to gain influence over it or whatever.

Morkar Left

It's explicitly mentioned conquer and capturing. "the players have to conquer Cassia’s lands and defend them against intruders when the need arises."

Rpg-like missions are mentioned separately: "If not in a battle, players take care of a lot of quests and the development of their characters. As common in RPGs, the quests will offer optional and alternative plotlines."

And how the combat was implemeted in the first game I think they are going more into strategic choices instead of roleplaying choices. The first game was already just a linear line of tactical battles and not much choice or freedom and zero exploration. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea. It's fun as a little distraction between other rpgs for me but not really something I'm looking forward to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's explicitly mentioned conquer and capturing. "the players have to conquer Cassia’s lands and defend them against intruders when the need arises."

Like I said, I think you might be reading things too literally. Eg, you also "defend" Morbal in the first game, and "conquer" the various cities that the Nameless God's cult has taken over. There's a distance between that and "HoMM clone".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom