Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Blackguards 2 Feature Demonstration at Gamescom

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
Tags: Blackguards 2; Daedalic Entertainment
  • The new strategy game elements, such as attacking and defending towns and recruiting various types of mercenaries.
  • A more informative user interface, that reveals more of the underlying statistics of characters and equipment.
  • The ability to select your party's starting positions in a battle, within limits.
  • A stamina mechanic.
  • A leveling mechanic inspired by D&D(!). Apparently, they received express permission from the Dark Eye license holders to do this.
  • Cover mechanics.
  • Overhauled hit/miss mechanics, making missing far less probable when an enemy is cornered.
  • The introduction of a unique race of demons to the game world, with a variety of nasty abilities.
  • A travelling army camp that serves as the player's home base, with merchants and also the ability to interrogate captured prisoners.
  • A non-linear storyline, with choice and consequence based on what territories you choose to conquer and which objectives you achieve in battle.
  • An overwatch mechanic that lets you fire at enemies when it's not your turn.
  • Weapon Talents represented as percentiles in the character sheet, to make them easier to understand.
  • An intuitive line of sight display on the battlefield.
  • The option to plunder, brutalize, or be kind to the cities that you conquer, with appropriate consequences.
  • Separation of active and passive Special Abilities in the character sheet.
Except for the demons, stamina, and leveling this sounds good.

But the storyline sounds like a lie. If I remember correctly, they originally stated Blackguards 1 would have a storyline with villainous protagonists (with the player deciding how villainous). If they did just that with Blackguards 2 along with a more informative user interface, I would be satisfied.

Unwanted

Bricks

Unwanted
Made an easy game broken. Epic. For the win! Do want! Fucktards.
I was going towards 10k unspent XP before the point of no return.
Wtf am I gonna do when I can place my units and have more flexibility why the AI is as dumb as ever...
There were at the very best 10 fights in the game that were hard and they were hard because I was gimping myself so severely, I could only drink 2 potions per fight and not using XP till I couldnt beat an encounter.

The first XP points I spent was to up the dudesmages firebolt to lvl2 (which was like 2 ticks) to beat the arena fight where you get separated into 2 and 2 groups.
And I only did that because I guessed wrong and my main was a mage (whom Ive given a shitty attack spell in the beginning cause blind playthough).
The next time I spent XP was after I cleared the whole! third chapter. Could not beat the Lilly and the 23 tentacles with a starting party and magesdudes level2 firebolt...
23 tentacles fell after I bought hammerblow I think.
Lilly fell either by simply luck or 3rd level evasion spell.
Then in Ch4, the Lasca fight which was funny cause I was losing it because they concentrated on me, the mage, and killing me in the first round and they move first. So I game myself 3-5 HP and they switched olololol.
4 indians sacrificing a girl and 7 turns limit needed some luck or Berskering (the spell that makes enemies goes Waaaar and killing each other) at level13 which means level3.
And the hardest fight in the first 4 chapters is the Festina Revolt with those purple cunts. Needed Speed lvl3 spell for additional actions.
27 zombies is interesting but only exhausting, not hard.
Ch5 had the entry fight with the bunch of indians, needed the Heal spell that heals wounds.
13 spiders around you needed 18 in weapons or you miss just too much.

Basic strategy is speed up, cloak, turtle, win. Done. Every fight...

Now they make it even easier? Fucktards.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh hey this vid is the presentation I attended actually :lol:

Also, I honestly have no idea what this "D&D inspired levelling" means because I didn't see any of it. Unless I slept through it or sth, but somehow I doubt it.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Cassia will probably leave a lasting impression in the Dark Eye universe
- they made up new enemies
- people were popamole and such they had to streamline it a bit by - for example - putting three things that do the same into now one thing, like, if you raised a certain skill or attribute which at the same time raised other stuff too it's now put together into one attribute / skill to raise. This is a bit confusing in German too, he's not specific but I guess he's referring to stuff like "three attributes are responsible for raising initiative" and such.
- all they do will officially affect dark eye history
- most important changes are: changes to the rule system and the new hit / miss / crit system
- stuff about the old characters, I think that's already known, can translate it tho if you wish
- cassia can be completely individualized aside from looks and gender

Dunno if that was something new, I think most of it was already known.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- people were popamole and such they had to streamline it a bit by - for example - putting three things that do the same into now one thing, like, if you raised a certain skill or attribute which at the same time raised other stuff too it's now put together into one attribute / skill to raise. This is a bit confusing in German too, he's not specific but I guess he's referring to stuff like "three attributes are responsible for raising initiative" and such

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said this in the gameplay demonstration too, but I wasn't 100% sure I'd understood him.

Another Sawyer-approved move. +M

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
:rage:
They take a good character system and take a huge dump on it. Thank you sheeple, now we're all pulled down to your level.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In a world where needlessly convoluted is "good"....

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Wait, what?! They'll have level ups now (cause if there's no Ding! it's confusing?) and have greatly increased the hit chances (in the video the PCs have 100%)? Damn popamole game design!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

I think that the "adventure bits" of the first game were great, the unique aspect of the game, and I would expand on that. More interesting dungeons, customizable party menbers and a flexible story.... closer to Realms of Arkania, not HoMM.

Agreed. This is an extremely weird direction. What happened to P&P Encounters: The Game? :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

I think that the "adventure bits" of the first game were great, the unique aspect of the game, and I would expand on that. More interesting dungeons, customizable party menbers and a flexible story.... closer to Realms of Arkania, not HoMM.

Agreed. This is an extremely weird direction. What happened to P&P Encounters: The Game? :(

According to our interview, nothing:

To conclude the interview, one of the high points of the first game was how creative and unique some of the battles and battle scenes were, sometimes to the point of resembling puzzles in their design. Can we expect more crazy ideas like that in the sequel?

Hell yeah! The same core team of level designers is working on Blackguards 2, and we became more experienced and more insane. In Blackguards 2, simple 'kill all enemies' battle scenarios will be the exception.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You seem to be missing my point. I am not lamenting the (untrue) disappearance of the elements from #1, I am wondering why they chose to develop a seperate system of strategy gaming layered on top of it, instead of expanding the systems and the gameplay already in place. In other words, I am worried that resources went to waste on something I won't much care for instead of what I know I enjoy. With emphasis on "worried."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am wondering why they chose to develop a seperate system of strategy gaming layered on top of it, instead of expanding the systems and the gameplay already in place.

This separate system is apparently their way of expanding the already existing systems in a way :M I'll write aboot it in detail in muh report.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds good. Can't wait :thumbsup:

(also, I think it's clear by now that I will play and like Blackguards 2, it's just a question of how much)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom