Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Mesa - legendary vaporware Half-Life remake finally out

Riskbreaker

Behead all Xen-haters. It's one of those things where one guy says how it's supposedly awful (wouldn't be surprised if entire thing started on one of those late 90s sites like Old Man Murray or some such that folks still keep mindlessly quoting) and then everyone else just repeats it cuz that's the correct and smart opinion to have.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That doesn't look like Xen at all.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/black-mesa/black-mesa-xen-screenshot

If your impression is that it just looks like a "generic terrestrial cave and barely alien at all", then you are channelling, verbatim, the reaction of some folks on NeoGAF, as reported by Maxey on the Black Mesa forums. Spooky.

Not to worry, though. TextFAMGUY1, community manager for the Black Mesa devs, posted a reply in which he assures us that "that's fine, this is one of the less alien parts of Xen. You should see what comes before this screenshot area."

Apparently, the devs are "saving the really juicy stuff for later."

:M

tormund

Arcane
That basically boils down to a variant of "not representative of the whole/final product" stock response. If it is not at all representative of their Xen reimagining then... why show it? Unless they STILL don't have anything substantial to show regarding the Xen part. Which honestly wouldn't surprise me, all things considered.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Also I don't like this idea of human structures on Xen. Human presence on the borderworld in the originals was limited to a few (mostly dead) people, a few mobile computers and light machinery and that's about it. That bridge thing looks completely out of place.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
So did they teleport a bunch of construction workers and building supplies through to Xen too? Or do the aliens have equally boring architecture standards? Because those ramps/bridges/whatever look very human.

Edit: Fucking ninjas

Turrul

Augur
Black Mesa built outposts in Xen way before shit hit the fan according to Blue Shift and Opposing force iirc. That's actually how they mined that yellow crystal.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
whats the difference between the "legacy" version (available on mod db) and the steam version? I have both but still curious

schru

Arcane
The Steam version is on a somewhat newer version of Source; it might be the 2013 version or some variant of the Portal 2 version. Aside of that, the Steam version has received several multi-player and other updates (such as one that included a modification that added all the ‘Surface Tension’ levels that were not included in Black Mesa) since the non-Steam version had been finalized.

Also, I agree with Unreal. Black Mesa is an incompetent attempt to make Half-Life more like Half-Life 2, not that it's a good idea anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Xen in December: http://steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/2767873904708195662

Summer Media Update
20 JUNE - [BMS] ADAM-BOMB

c196a733b3ef228bb1a645e5f854a0f4388b21f0.jpg

Happy summer all! We hope that everyone is having a great start to their summer. To celebrate, we proudly present to you our first public screenshots of a Xen exterior. All running real-time, in- game, with no edits.

a747b51d505718fda2509877c4e6816e27ea4bf4.jpg

Unfortunately, as some of you may have already predicted, we are going to need to push back our planned release of Xen to later this year, in December. We know that this is not what anyone would want to hear, but after taking a long and hard look at what we want to achieve, we have decided that this is for the best. We do not want to compromise on Xen’s quality in any way. That said, we consider December to be a do-or-die deadline.

To soften the blow of the bad news, here are some additional tidbits and updates regarding what we have done for Xen so far.

Example of the Level of Detail We Are Going For
acf583169cb574d192be207b0e7017cb6d2b4eee.jpg

Interloper Map B Scale
33c2f236eabd91a4582509a0cac7922ea121c4d5.png

New Dynamic Light System
As part of our continued efforts to bring Xen’s graphics up to the best possible standard that they can be, we have upgraded Source to a new deferred rendering system that supports fully dynamic lights! These new “next-gen” lights cast real-time light, shadows and god rays. These won’t replace all the lights in the game, but we can use them in many special cases where we want the lights to be particularly gorgeous. These lights are much better optimized than other Source implementations of dynamic lights, and are more robust.

72537b641624568a7e62616f92bb90af361563f2.gif

Not only will this new lighting system help crank parts of the the game up to 11 in terms of graphical fidelity, these will also be powerful tools for modders as well!

Color Correction
We’ve started a color correction pass for the whole game. The goal is to better unify the game’s visual style and to add full screen effects during the more intense sections. Most of these effects will be quite subtle, but here is a more noticeable example.
c9fada20d4280e33d335e2ef8099c4a5c4143f93.gif

Weapon Holds
We fixed the soldiers holding the weapons wrong. It took some serious animation trickery to retarget the bones on top of the existing Half-Life 2 animation library, but it worked well once we figured it out. No more hands clipping through the guns!

e6aca5c89dc8a93a761e04113d2a87498f29ab11.jpg

Thanks as always to you guys, our wonderful community, for your support! As always, we will continue to work at full speed on Xen, and we hope to have more updates, information and media for you guys soon.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Xen for December 2075.

Doesn't look anything like the original game, but I've had this game paid for years now so I'll take whatever at this point. Idec anymore

jaydee2k

Savant
Black Mesa is amazing but them Xen pics are looking off to me.
The color correction example is ugly too. Way too much red in there...

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I bought this game on Steam and I think it mostly looks p good, but this Xen thing is seriously such a let down. Total eye rape with these Trine like colors.

Maybe "mods will fix it"? Kinda like Fellout for Faggot 3.

Ash

Arcane
Black Mesa has always been
decline.png

Not as bad as some of the most shit-tier fan projects or official remakes, but still minor decline.

ciox

Liturgist
That looks like an Underworld Ascendant screenshot, super modern colorful interpretation that's not really reminiscent of Xen.
Basically they need to bring back more of the old textures that were full of holes and had these beehive/organic motifs, and have a look at what needs to be smoothed out into oblivion polygonally and what actually needs to stay angular because it helps give it an alien look and feel, it's a common mistake to just smooth everything like crazy. I'm not impressed by that giant mesh with tons of curves on it and the same basic rock texture stretched all over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom