Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Black Island Studios - Obsidian InXile and Larian Merge To Form New Studio

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In a completely surprising shock to the future of RPG Development, it has been revealed today that Obsidian Entertainment, InXile Entertainment and Larian Studios are merging into one large development studio to be named Black Island Studio.

12532.png

While is has been no secret that Swen Vincke has been expanding Larian Studios, what we did not know is this was a join effort between Brian Fargo, Swen Vincke and Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

Feargus Urquhart stated “Joining our companies into one large studio dedicated to classic RPG's was just a no brainer. We all love and have a passion for classic RPG games and design. When Fargo called and approached me on this subject, I said hell yes! This is a brillant idea!”

What we have been told is that the former Obsidian team will work mostly on Story, Setting and Characters. Former Larian will work on Combat Design, and the former InXile team will assist both teams, but will also head a sort of research and develop team, that will try out and pitch different ideas and settings for future RPG's for the company.

Brian Fargo, speaking with us privately said “Using the strengths of three very talented RPG development studios, we will merge all of this unparalleled talent to form one strong company that will usher in a new age of classic RPG games and design”.

The new Black Island Studio is currently working on two games. The first will be a title called TORN. Which many of us on the Codex may be very familiar with. Mr. Fargo stated “After securing the rights to this, I felt this was the game with a setting and story we all wanted to tell. After it's cancellation by Interplay many years ago, I have always had a passion to make this game. The setting and story is one of my favorite settings for a RPG”.

The second game is best described as “a turn based RPG with a nearer-future setting with technologies that can be realistically predicted by present-day science”. The project is headed by Lead Designer George Ziets. There is currently no official title or ETA for this project yet.

TORN will be a turn-based RPG and will be for PC, Mac and Linux and is scheduled for release on Spring 2017.

deranged

Cipher
How many april fool's jokes in one day ? What's next, fappy the anti-masturbation dolphin is being released as a turn-based rpg from ea ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More on Urquhart's take:

“They wanted to call it DragonPlay, and I just thought DragonPlay sounded lame,” Urquhart said, laughing. “They were looking for something-Play I guess. The joke was always that the adult version of this merger would be…”

He paused for a few seconds, waiting for me to get it. I didn’t.

“Threesome-Play!”

Clearly that wouldn’t work. So they called it Black Island Studios.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You are not even trying.

Just imagine if such an announcement were actually true....
Would that really be a good thing for us? Instead of 3 companies making CRPGs we'd have just one. If something were to happen to them all would be lost, and even at best their games would probably tend towards being samey.

For a vibrant scene it's better to have three independent companies who all take the genre foward in different ways, and inspire each other as well as other companies.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zed's joke was more subtle and therefore better (I also liked his references to Diablo 2's infamous 1.10 patch and 'late summer' being touted as release time for all the enhanced editions of last year's RPGs). But still, have a brofist for effort.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
In a completely surprising shock to the future of RPG Development, it has been revealed today that Obsidian Entertainment, InXile Entertainment and Larian Studios are merging into one large development studio to be named Black Island Studio.

12532.png

While is has been no secret that Swen Vincke has been expanding Larian Studios, what we did not know is this was a join effort between Brian Fargo, Swen Vincke and Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

Feargus Urquhart stated “Joining our companies into one large studio dedicated to classic RPG's was just a no brainer. We all love and have a passion for classic RPG games and design. When Fargo called and approached me on this subject, I said hell yes! This is a brillant idea!”

What we have been told is that the former Obsidian team will work mostly on Story, Setting and Characters. Former Larian will work on Combat Design, and the former InXile team will assist both teams, but will also head a sort of research and develop team, that will try out and pitch different ideas and settings for future RPG's for the company.

Brian Fargo, speaking with us privately said “Using the strengths of three very talented RPG development studios, we will merge all of this unparalleled talent to form one strong company that will usher in a new age of classic RPG games and design”.

The new Black Island Studio is currently working on two games. The first will be a title called TORN. Which many of us on the Codex may be very familiar with. Mr. Fargo stated “After securing the rights to this, I felt this was the game with a setting and story we all wanted to tell. After it's cancellation by Interplay many years ago, I have always had a passion to make this game. The setting and story is one of my favorite settings for a RPG”.

The second game is best described as “a turn based RPG with a nearer-future setting with technologies that can be realistically predicted by present-day science”. The project is headed by Lead Designer George Ziets. There is currently no official title or ETA for this project yet.

TORN will be a turn-based RPG and will be for PC, Mac and Linux and is scheduled for release on Spring 2017.

IT was funny. FIRST TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiW1_QqRjQY

Viata

Arcane
The last time someone made a joke about company merging during April's Fool, it was about Squaresoft and Enix. That was the worse April's fool day and it was not even a joke.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The last time someone made a joke about company merging during April's Fool, it was about Squaresoft and Enix. That was the worse April's fool day and it was not even a joke.

Mentioning again, all the forces of decline at SquareEnix originated from Squaresoft.

Losing Sakaguchi as the companys creative director hurt way more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom