Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If theft and magic are not to your liking and you prefer a more direct approach, Fighter, Templar, Ranger and Highlander are available for your choosing. Slay your enemies face-to-face with high martial proficiency or raw brute strength.
Unbelievable. No Crushmaster, no buy.
:keepmyjewgold:

Highlander? It better be the only one true highlander!

get

Beowulf

Arcane
I presume somebody took them aside and suggested that they were in danger of not being taken seriously
what is wrong with this fucking giant autismo asylum we call a planet
we could have had the unique - absolutely unique - opportunity to send a fucking CRUSHMASTER in combat.
and some fucking moron, on whose grave I shall piss and dance in due time, decided to tell them "hey beware, you could make history with this game"
i hate everything.

wtf happened? Who is this?
The fabled black geyser apologist. He once came in here, out of nowhere, and submitted our eyes to the most fascinating spectacle.
He left as mysteriously as he appeared, and for a long time, we grieved as orphans...
he? he?
and nobody's gonna point out the spelling of boyfriend as two separate words? Or is it just me being dumb and it's really a boy and a friend but not a boyfriend?

Nobody knows, they have their own internal language.
Just read those dev posts about such important features as Drying.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok this has come to an end now; I've have forbidden ALL email notification from this website. Stop spamming my cellphone please.

My boy friend does not work at black Geyser corporation anymore. If Geyser hits a world record someday; though I'm ready to offer insider infos and offer my face. Not now. And need to ask him first though anyhows; an NDA may be in effect and I don't knowif it's applied still. I wish the best for Geyser and those who wish it to fail ----> I wish you all to get a life; you're in a Bubble of your own Fake Reality; the ability to Criticize hardwork of welltrained devs* makes you think you're important. There is news for you ---> the ability to criticize is like your arse. Your opinion's like your arse. Everyone has one, but no one else's interested in it. (No pun intended. ---> Homophobes please spare me with your jokes. Thankyou.)

*such as: my boy friend / Unity3D

Just in the case there're normal people who enjoy Geyser, I've texted my boy friend (he's at work now) on Whatsup; he said there should be a single user you can direct your Questions to: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/rothgor.20306/
My opinions are like my arse,great and women love them.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, kickstarter for this is either this month, or in a month, one of the two.

I'm backing it so you don't have to.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm backing it so you don't have to.

What? Of course I'm backing this. The earlier video where the opponents' loot exploded for no discernible reason after you defeated them was what sold this for me.

Mustawd

So I went on their discord, and they were very accommodating in answering questions. I told them they should come back to this thread with a real representative, but we'll see if that happens. You guys might have scared them off. What jerks. :rpgcodex:

Cael

Arcane
So I went on their discord, and they were very accommodating in answering questions. I told them they should come back to this thread with a real representative, but we'll see if that happens. You guys might have scared them off. What jerks. :rpgcodex:
Look. Black geyser hitting ass and leg. That's what they wanted, so that is what I gave them. Don't blame me if they didn't like it...

:D

Mustawd

Black Geyser is the IE-like game the codex deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

So we’ll meme it. Because it can take it. Because it’s not really a game. It’s an experience.

Mustawd

We will do a Reddit AMA event on Wednesday, 25th April, 11 AM PST, 2 PM EST. This is evening in Europe. We will publish its exact link that time.

Be there or be square.

Mustawd

1. On discord it was confirmed that this game will be Kickstarted tomorrow at 11am EST.

2. Q&A from the reddit AMA

Q: One of the portraits reminds me to good old' Minsc - do you have a Ranger class?

A: Yes, it's one of the four warrior classes (Fighter, Ranger, Templar, Highlander).

Q: Is the combat going to have an AI (i.e. a hero will attack an enemy until he's dead or you manually change actions, will they then move onto a different target? or is that manual?)

A: Enemies will have an advanced AI, including group decisions (cooperation). Regarding your party members, you can both micro-manage them and use AI scripts if you prefer. When you select a target e.g. for a melee or ranged attack, your character will attack until the target is dead (unless you give him another command in the meantime), by default. Then he will wait for your next command. This is the default behavior.

Q: Is there going to be a console ala Infinity or aurora engine games? Will there be any sort of developer option to add modules/content like there is for BG2 or Neverwinter Nights?

A: There will be serious modding support yes. Advanced moddability is a stretch goal in our upcoming Kickstarter campaign. And yes, there will be a developer console.

Q: What's the order (from most to the least similar) of how similar you're to these games: Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. In terms of mechanics and atmosphere?

A: Pathfinder: Kingmaker is new and very interesting, but we would require more research to include them in any comparison. Black Geyser mechanics are more akin to games like the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale 1 than to Pillars of Eternity. Atmosphere is similar to all of them, but in a very unique way.

Q: Your website mentions a lot about "greed" as a mechanic. What is greed in your game?

A: Greed is a big part of Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness. A curse from a dark goddess has turned it into a kind of sickness that corrupts everything it touches (and every person corrupted by greed adds to her power). Players will find that their actions affect how quickly or slowly the curse spreads- they can choose to be greedy or generous in their interactions with the game world and the characters in it, and they will see the consequences of those actions.

For instance, let's say a player chooses to always take the biggest quest rewards, pick up every piece of loot they see and just act generally covetous. Over time the world will change to reflect that: merchants will begin to charge higher prices or even close down entirely; people may kill each other in the street over their lust for wealth; groups of scavengers may begin to show up directly after the party gets out of combat to take the hard-won loot before they have a chance to rest. By contrast, a player who is generous with quest rewards, who leaves behind common items for scavengers to pick up or who donates to the right temples (be wary of greed-corrupted clergy!) will find that the world isn't falling into chaos so quickly.

Both playstyles come with their own challenges and offer up unique ways of handling situations. Greed is an integral part of our lore, and we hope players will enjoy it.

Q: Sounds like greed means I play evil?

A: Greed doesn't necessarily mean you are evil. To put it simply, the spreading greed makes the kingdom more chaotic in various ways. And as we know, chaos doesn't need to be evil. Think of the Chaotic Good alignment in other games; this is completely unrelated and different to our concept of greed, but it is a great example of how the concepts of chaos and goodness can live together. So, you can be good and greedy at the same time, as they are greatly independent things. (In extreme cases, of course, being greedy and evil overlaps.) Also, being greedy is not a black & white or yes/no question. It's a scale instead – between the absolutely greedy and absolutely generous.

Q: hey how long is the game gonna be? will it be epic? can u own a stronghold ? dragons ? exploration? similar to Baldur gate or Baldur gate 2 ?

A: Definitely epic. Free exploration in wilderness and subterranean areas, hundreds of quests, random encounters. Dragons, giants, demons - in later chapters of the plot, yes.

It's perhaps to closer Baldur's Gate in play-time, free-roaming exploration, and in "starting with 'week' level 1 character and becoming powerful at the end" approach, but in terms of the depth and carefully designed interactions between NPCs, it is definitely more similar to Baldur's Gate 2.

Yes, you can have a stronghold as well (depending on how much we raise in our upcoming Kickstarter campaign).

Q: Looking through the classes, it sure seems like you can grow up to be anything you want to be, unless you're a Dwarf. Any particular reason they have so many restrictions or did it just work out that way?

A: Indeed, Dwarves can only be Fighters, Highlanders, Thieves, Clerics or Shamans. These restrictions are rooted in the world lore, and required for game balance as well (game balancing is not final yet however). On the other hand, Dwarves have very good resistances and benefits compared to other classes.

Depending on our Kickstarter campaign (stretch goals), we will add at least one additional class to the game, which will be available to Dwarves as well for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom